Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women U 17 World Cup.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

oohh, close there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That Japanese keeper is very poor. Shots from everywhere and a player charging everything down will result in a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Moloney looks in a lot of pain. If she's hurt get her off!

COME ON IRELAND!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Rory Delap shtyle!

They are reluctant to shoot on sight.

OMG first time. How long do you want?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

asdlgihasdg

Horrible miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Should of put that away!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Didn't have the confidence to hit it first time, unlucky.

Still a goal here for us.

ref is a joke.

Btw Jarett could have went down there too before she cut it back to create chance. I know Japan would have.

It has to be long balls from now on. THe Japanese can't deal with that.

Just give us one corner I can sense a goal!

Save Moloney. She has been awesome.

Not looking good. :(:(

Corner please.

• Advertisement

too late to bring on subs now!

So close. God I was willing it in.

They did Ireland proud. Got as far as the seniors men team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

they are a disgrace toutie beautiful game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Hard luck girls, but you did us proud ;)

• Advertisement

they are a disgrace toutie beautiful game.

Ah give over

Oh well it was great to watch.

I believe Japan were the better team, but the way they went about their business was awful. A lot of cheap tactics falling all over the shop and also the ref never picking up on foul throws from them. :(

Unlucky girls, done us proud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Well Done Republic of Ireland for getting this far, big results in the Euros gave them the opportunity.

Great performance from the Girls. they should be very proud of them selves.

heads up. ye'll stuff em next time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Unlucky for the girls, thought the Japanese were a disgrace.
    I think Fr. Jack says it baest, though :pac:

Well done girls. First major tournament for Ireland ladies at any level I believe.
    It was a joy to follow them from the European Elite Competition to the World Cup. Tears of joy and despair but they really should be proud of themselves. A very good unit who work hard. I look forward to seeing a lot of these girls make the U19 and senior squads.

Special shout out to Dora, doing Galway proud! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done girls. Top 8 in world second in Europe

Not bad few months. Ye can be proud and you did country proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Hard Luck Girls! .... You done the country proud!! There'll be other days for all of ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's a shame to see that Irish youth coaching still hasn't advanced beyong the putrid long ball rubbish. King is in charge of the U21's now as well isn't he? The contrast with Japan was stark.

Still, well done to the U17's getting this far. The goalkeeper in particular looked solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Aidric wrote: »
    It's a shame to see that Irish youth coaching still hasn't advanced beyong the putrid long ball rubbish. King is in charge of the U21's now as well isn't he? The contrast with Japan was stark.

Still, well done to the U17's getting this far. The goalkeeper in particular looked solid.

Youth coaching at the national level HAS come on in leaps and bounds - particularly in ladies football. The fact that an Irish team made it that far is indicative of that fact. It has a long way to go still for sure - but to ignore the giant strides of the last decade or so is a bit churlish tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Youth coaching at the national level HAS come on in leaps and bounds - particularly in ladies football. The fact that an Irish team made it that far is indicative of that fact. It has a long way to go still for sure - but to ignore the giant strides of the last decade or so is a bit churlish tbh.
    I was hardly being churlish. If so I wouldn't have said well done on their achievements.

My comment was simply on the style of play. To my eyes there seems to have been no attempts made to move away from the traditional direct style of play.

Where is the evidence of these 'giant strides' to which you refer? Fair enough the U17 girls have acquitted themselves very well recently in spite of their playing style. By contrast the U19 womens team were knocked out in the first round of the qualifiers by Russia on Thursday. The U21 mens side became a stagnant object under Givens and the U19's had mixed fortunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Aidric wrote: »
    I was hardly being churlish. If so I wouldn't have said well done on their achievements.

My comment was simply on the style of play. To my eyes there seems to have been no attempts made to move away from the traditional direct style of play.

Where is the evidence of these 'giant strides' to which you refer? Fair enough the U17 girls have acquitted themselves very well recently in spite of their playing style. By contrast the U19 womens team were knocked out in the first round of the qualifiers by Russia on Thursday. The U21 mens side became a stagnant object under Givens and the U19's had mixed fortunes.

While Ireland played direct football at times in their games, the basic level of technical competence / athletic ability was extremely impressive. You have got to look at the younger development squads and look to the future. Ireland are poised to take a leap in ladies football over the coming 5 years or so.

As for the men? Well there is investment being put in to upping the standard of coaching across the youth and amateur games. A big problem has been the ridiculously low level of coaching knowledge in the LOI though. The FAI are still working through getting UEFA A licenses for coaching staffs of LOI clubs (so that they can meet fairly recent UEFA regulatory requirements). But five years hence, we will have a lot more B and A licensed coaches in the country competing for jobs working with elite youth players.

I genuinely believe that we will never see as incompetent a coach as Don Givens in charge of the U21s ever again.

The FAI is trying to break decades and decades of bad practice. It will take a lot of time until we really see the benefits at senior level. Work is genuinely being done though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/highlights/video/video=1307881/index.html

What a final! 3-3, 5-4 on penos, an 5 of the 6 goals from well outside the box, albeit with some dodgy keeping. But some very good strikes.

8-10 wrote: »
    http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/highlights/video/video=1307881/index.html

What a final! 3-3, 5-4 on penos, an 5 of the 6 goals from well outside the box, albeit with some dodgy keeping. But some very good strikes.

I caught the end of extra time and the penalties. Some good penalties and one save from the Korean keeper with her left hand was as good as any I have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

... given that Japan beat our girls 2-1, having being awarded a dodgy penalty, it just proves how close we could have come to winning the competition.

Fair play to the Irish girls ....

Advertisement