Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do about dogs?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you are cycling in a country with rabies a bite could mean death so I think the precaution is worth it. I am also wild camping and so there is potential risk from wild animals also (eg wolves.) I know other people have tasers which are also readily available here, and more than one cyclist account I have read mentions needing to use a weapon whether a gun, taser or pepper spray on a mix of humans, dogs and wild animals... Probably best to have something.
    Again I woud not see the need in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

blorg wrote: »
    If you are cycling in a country with rabies a bite could mean death so I think the precaution is worth it. I am also wild camping and so there is potential risk from wild animals also (eg wolves.) I know other people have tasers which are also readily available here, and more than one cyclist account I have read mentions needing to use a weapon whether a gun, taser or pepper spray on a mix of humans, dogs and wild animals... Probably best to have something.
    Again I woud not see the need in Ireland.

100% agree if you pulling a kevin costner like you are, personally id have a gun in the wild. got confused, thought this happened ireland!! best of luck with the rest of the trip and safe home.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

funkyjebus wrote: »
    . i can tell if a dog is going to bit me, cant you, and i know for a fact my dog will never bit a human. so again erroneous.

Actually you believe your animal won't bite somebody this however does not make it fact and accordingly does not make me incorrect.

Its a animal and by its very nature you can't say as fact 100% that it will not bite somebody. Instead you merely presume it will not.
    yes, kicking is ok and far far better than restricting a dogs breathing for what could be a few hours. dogs can be allergic to many things humans would not think (onions, garlic, chocolate, apples) so from the point a kick is safer. it should be noted i would only kick if it was goin to bite me. in addition, dogs are tough creatures and the kick is mearly asserting my domenance over him than to 'bust a lip' or knock him out. i will still be attempting to pedal.

such nonesense, your trying to say pepper spray is bad but kicking is ok?!?

Kicking the animal could potentially kill it in that case,
    Depending on how hard and where you kick it and if it already has injury's kicking it could kill it or cause serious injury. (Oh look what I did, because you can't know these factors the same as pepper spray)

If you believe kicking a dog is ok to assert domenance you have a twisted view on things and I pity your dog.

if i saw someone pepper spray my dog becasue they thought i was going to bite them, id be straight onto the ispca and the gardai, thats if i could restrain myself from beating them with their front wheel. however all this changes if its in self defence, just to have a pre meditated pepper spay with a dogs name on it is not protection but cruelty.

Given you are 100% sure that your dog will not bite and you think kicking is ok I'm curious to your reaction if somebody kicked your dog if it went to bite them?

Do you attack the person who kicked your dog because you know your dog wouldn't bite them?
    or
    Do you praise the person for kicking your dog because they were merely showing the dog who's boss?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

how do you use these youtube things? any way if that doesnt work the link below might

dog pepper spray, it worked on this stupid bitch, i think its across between a scottish terrior and somethin else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aAm12MQeRg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

^^ LOL.

Reminds me of the time I rubbed neat Johnson's baby shampoo into my eyes to demonstrate "no more tears" to the kids. Man, that stuff stings like a mofo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Cabaal wrote: »
    Actually you believe your animal won't bite somebody this however does not make it fact and accordingly does not make me incorrect.

Its a animal and by its very nature you can't say as fact 100% that it will not bite somebody. Instead you merely presume it will not

such nonesense, your trying to say pepper spray is bad but kicking is ok?!?

Kicking the animal could potentially kill it in that case,
    Depending on how hard and where you kick it and if it already has injury's kicking it could kill it or cause serious injury. (Oh look what I did, because you can't know these factors the same as pepper spray)

If you believe kicking a dog is ok to assert domenance you have a twisted view on things and I pity your dog.

Given you are 100% sure that your dog will not bite and you think kicking is ok I'm curious to your reaction if somebody kicked your dog if it went to bite them?

Do you attack the person who kicked your dog because you know your dog wouldn't bite them?
    or
    Do you praise the person for kicking your dog because they were merely showing the dog who's boss?

:rolleyes:

no i know my dog will never bite someone, cus i spent a year training him not to its called bite inhabition.

yes, kicking is ok ( i meant a shove, see above post - yes bad choice of word), id want to be off my bike with a run up to kill a dog with a kick (a dog id be frightened of). by that logic pepper spray could kil.l a dog, just as anesthesia can and has killed dogs.

it does assert domenance, which shows what you know about dogs. no need to pity my dog, he must be one of the ahppiest dogs ever, goy tarined by positive reinforement rathan that they old back of the hand method of days gone by. however we are talking about a dog about to bite you, ( which my dog doesnt do, if you recall) then positive methods go out the window. i am after all not training the third partys dog.

your final question is moot.

id praise my dog for not moving (as he wont even run after a cat unless i let him) and wave to a happy fellow cyclist as he passes safely.

if you cant train a dog and it goes to bite someone, you cant give out because they defended themselves - thats just being silly.

but again pepper spray is way over the top. if you where trapped in a room with a few vicious dogs, the pepper spray is warranted, but not in any case (except blorgs mad wild escapade) ive read here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just on the rabies note: There's no rabies in Ireland, or the UK. No dog chasing you in this country has rabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Since I was bitten I have a mental note of where the problem dogs are. I have tried the ultrasonic things but they are next to useless.

This bite was from a lab!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

no i know my dog will never bite someone, cus i spent a year training him not to its called bite inhabition.

You see the problem here is, if I'm cycling up the hill being chased by a barking dog, chances are it's not your wonderfully trained dog. It's some other dog that may or may not bite me, and assuming I'm on a public road, that dog is not under the control of its owner and should not be there. Biting aside, even if it's only playing, it could easily knock me off the bike, and cause me injury. In this situation, you have to consider the safety of the cyclist first, and if the poor mutt gets damaged as a result, that is entirely down to the negligence of the owner. The onus is not on the cyclist to make snap decsions as to whether the dog in question is a good dog, and throw him a scooby snack, or a bad dog, and give him a kicking. I know squat about dogs and care less, other than the beasts should simply not be chasing me down the public road in the first place, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

... i just fell that if everyone was going around with pepper spray, some dog who is just roudy and powerful and wants to play/chase will get sprayed. how about some bakers rewards, only 1.99 in tesco and throw one at its face, would that also not do the trick?

Rewarding the dog for chasing cyclists !!! Now that is a really fantastic idea :-//

People who pepper spray dogs who chase bikes are doing the dog, the owner, society and every other cyclist a BIG favour.

Maybe if someone had previously pepper sprayed the dog in this report from the UK last week, he would not have been put down.

http://www.bexhillobserver.net/news/Dog-attacks-female-cyclist.6504574.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Also from last week...

"A 10-year-old girl is in hospital after being savaged by two rottweiler dogs while she was out riding her bike in Dundee.

Rhianna Kidd was attacked around 11am on Sunday August 29 in Dryburgh Street, near to the shops. The girl suffered a fractured jaw in the attack and will require plastic surgery."

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/194671-child-in-hospital-after-dog-attack/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I'm not at all in favour of dogs been left run free on public roads. But l will say one good thing about them and that is they have improved my hill climbing abilities :) l mean what better motivation is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Dogs are very dangerous to cyclists so I find it a little difficult to understand why some people find it funny and make silly responses to a serious query. There are a number of options depending on circumstances:
    1) 'I like to unclip and surprise a dog with a good kick into the side of the head.' - I do this also but it usually only works in locations where the dog is not used to cyclist and rushes blindly towards your shoe. The more experienced ones come from behind and judge the attack better. I have no scruples about protecting myself against a dog heading hurtling towards my wheels.
    'Inexperienced' dogs are also a problem as they can misjudge the run and hit a front wheel, especially if there is more than one dog and/or rider. A mate of mine got knocked off on a 'new route' in the spring when two dogs went for me (I was slightly ahead) and one ran into his front wheel in the process.
    2) Not much you can do about random 'attacks' from 'new' dogs. Contrary to some of the advice here, I think the main thing is not to do anything sudden, like sprinting or chasing the dog.

I think the biggest problem is with the 'regulars' on your favourite spins. You have a number of options here.
    3) Make a statement to your local Dog Warden. verbal complaints probably won't do - you can try taking videos on your phone etc.
    4) Spray them as suggested, especially if going slightly slowly uphill. Check all the aerosols in the house - something with a fairly concentrated spray. WD40 has been tried - make sure you don't get 'caught' by potentialy troublesome owners. You can also get a child's water pistol and put something nasty in it - hot spicey stuff etc has been used.

In short, they are both dangerous and very annoying. So, if you can do something about the regulars it's worth doing it. Otherwise, try not to annoy yourself about what you cannot change and ride safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Happened to me recently between Glencree and Enniskerry. Luckily I happened to be taking a drink at the time so I stopped pedalling, cruised along and sprayed the contents of my bottle-Robinson's orange squash-all over its head and eyes. Not only did it work but the owner would have also been forced to bath the dog. Been up there a few times since and haven't met this pooch.

As I say, luckily I as drinking at the time as I must admit I was startled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

seamus wrote: »
    Just on the rabies note: There's no rabies in Ireland, or the UK. No dog chasing you in this country has rabies.
    There is little rabies in most of Europe ether but I'm not in Europe... There is also rabies in the UK albeit not from dogs in a very long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement