Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headset required

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

While I don't know the bike in question (so don't rely on this but it might be a start) I did find this

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=95334&Type=bike

which suggests the bike originally came with a "1 1/8" threadless Victor VP-A51".

That's assuming it's the same frameset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

best to ring the shop and ask tbh, the headset you got is integrated the frame you have isnt imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

• Weight: 10 kg

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Think their missing a decimal point! Same frame build up here

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6779

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It takes a standard 1 1/8" headset (not internal, integrated, zero-stack etc.).

It would be handy to get one with a brake cable-hanger.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HSFSOXCX/fsa-orbit--x-cx--headset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Hijack.

How do I know what size intergrated headset I need for my bike? It's for my winter road bike. What do the measuremanets mean: 1.1/8" 15mm Campag for example :confused:

Any integrated recommendations around the €30 mark? Not that plentyful on CRC.

Thanks....

There are two main integrated headset standards - Campagnolo and Cane Creek. The contact angles are different (or something like that :)).

Here's a few:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=campagnolo+integrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Hijack.

How do I know what size intergrated headset I need for my bike? It's for my winter road bike. What do the measuremanets mean: 1.1/8" 15mm Campag for example :confused:

Any integrated recommendations around the €30 mark? Not that plentyful on CRC.

Thanks....

The 1 1/8 is afaik the size of the forks.Most bikes are 1 1/8.
    'Campag' style have have angular contacts of 45/45 whereas 'Cane Creek' have angular contacts of 36/45.
    The angular contacts are machined onto the outer races and determine how they sit in the frame.
    I have a set of Cane Creek IS3 bearings (36/45) and cover sitting here doing nothing.Barely used them as I ordered the wrong ones
    What frame you gonna use for the winter bike

Thanks for the reply Morgan. Howevers me's a thinkin I just need cartridge baring replacements as I'm shouldnt need to replace the whole headset, with the need for headset press and so forth.

But I'm still lost. Are all cartridge bearings the same size? Would these Hope ones work universally?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18736
    New Style? Old Style?

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    The 1 1/8 is afaik the size of the forks.Most bikes are 1 1/8.
    'Campag' style have have angular contacts of 45/45 whereas 'Cane Creek' have angular contacts of 36/45.
    The angular contacts are machined onto the outer races and determine how they sit in the frame.
    I have a set of Cane Creek IS3 bearings (36/45) and cover sitting here doing nothing.Barely used them as I ordered the wrong ones
    What frame you gonna use for the winter bike

I have one of the blue winter frames (non branded) I got in Cyclelogical two years ago. They say they were made in the same factory as Ridley. Have a picture of it somewhere I'll look for and post it up if I can.

I

Thanks, I'll take a pikky tonight and post it up. I do remember it has a Chris King printed on it.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Morgan. Howevers me's a thinkin I just need cartridge baring replacements as I'm shouldnt need to replace the whole headset, with the need for headset press and so forth.

But I'm still lost. Are all cartridge bearings the same size? Would these Hope ones work universally?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18736
    New Style? Old Style?

I assumed you needed integrated headset. These headsets don't have cups - the bearings sit directly in the head-tube.

There are numerous bearings for standard headsets - if you're lucky you'll be able to find a serial number on the existing bearings.

Morgan wrote: »
    I assumed you needed integrated headset. These headsets don't have cups - the bearings sit directly in the head-tube.
    Exactly, defo integrated.
    Morgan wrote: »
    There are numerous bearings for standard headsets - if you're lucky you'll be able to find a serial number on the existing bearings.

Hoped I wouldn't have to unscrew the forks to know what to get. Just being lazy I suppose.

when you take out the bearings (if they are busted you will need to take them out anyway) they may have the angles stamped on them ie 36 or 45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Integral sizes - easy peasy. Cane Creek has 41.0mm OD (outer diameter), Campy has 41.8mm OD.

Sorry for delay in looking into this.

The top of the heaset on the head tube says VP-A46ACK.

A quick google search tells me it's a 41mm top and bottom?

Thanks...

Advertisement