Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield - Living there.

Options
  • 06-09-2010 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thinking about renting an apartment in Smithfield for a year. Anyone living in the area or can anyone tell me what it is like to live there? I am a professional in my late 20s, so I am looking for a quiet enough area close to the city centre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

For your requirements Smithfield is a good move. Ive never lived there but have friends who do. Rent wise it can be expensive but the location is excellent. The only two drawbacks I can think of are the monthly horses market which leaves the square smelling like sh1te (literally) and the fact a few businesses along the square have either closed down or never opened to begin with. Still though theres a Fresh supermarket and a Subway there. Cobblestone pub is an excellent pub one of Dublins best and Sin E isnt too far away either nor is Temple Bar and Georges St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Smithfield's grand. The only thing you want to be careful of, if you want "quiet", that you aren't in an apartment directly over the square or the new pub that's opened up in the place Thomas Read's used to be. Also, since most of the population are renters you'd want to make sure you know who your neighbours are (I've heard a couple of horror stories about late night mid week parties!). Apart from that though it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i thought the subway in smithfield was closed?

shouldn't forget the lighthouse cinema - the most comfortable cinema in dublin bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pels

I've lived in the complex for about 6 months now and are just about to move to a smaller development in Smithfield. Area is great, luas and dublin bike stands makes it even a bit better location wise. Local businesses are ok, newly opened local bar is great, Light house cinema is wonderful.

But the minuses that made me move away from the big complex is mainly two;
    1. The horse market. It breaks my heart every time to see these tortured animals and not being able to do anything. I almost break out in tears. The animal abuse going on there is disgusting. And then you got the lovely knackers! Actually went to Fresh two days ago during the market to buy milk, bad idea. I got not so nice comments every 30 seconds. And then there's the hygiene, the market stinks of horse poo up to a week afterwards.

2. The noise! I think there's been a bit of bad planning when they built the complex.. My apartment is on the 6th floor facing another building. The buildings are very close to each other, there's even a bridge connecting them. This also results in me hearing every frikkin sound, especially the Mexicans and Brazilians who love to party at 5am on Mondays. I feel like a 50 year old lady every time I complain to the reception.. :D

Conclusion; It's a nice development. If you find a not too noisy apartment and can stand the horse market then go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

As the other posters have indicated, "quiet" may not be the best description of Smithfield. Is that icerink still going at Christmas?

You could look at Stoneybatter. Would be cheaper and quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Go for it. I got mugged there last year, but I was stumbling home hammered at 3am after a night out so was a pretty easy target, and had taken a 'shortcut' down a fairly dodgy lane aswell.

After that I wisened up and have had no problems whatsoever. Theres a few characters like anywhere but they usually just stick to themselves.

Great location, plenty of amenities, luas etc, and I much prefer it to other inner city areas such as christchurch, mountjoy sq etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

who_ru wrote: »
    i thought the subway in smithfield was closed?

No, it's one of the few local businesses that isn't closed!

The ice rink was a lot quieter last year too.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I lived on Arbour Hill for years and it was great. I wouldnt live on the square for the reasons given above.

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

lived in block B on the square for 3 years. I loved it. I'd go back in a heartbeat and probably will go back in a couple of years.

Advertisement