Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i Move down to Ordinary Level Spanish

• 06-09-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Well Am horrible at spainsh and have no future or reason to carry on doing it after my leaving cert, but i can't afford to do ordinary level, why?
    Points are rising
    I want to do nursing
    I have ordinary level maths and irish to worry about
    My max points are now 365
    And am just gone kill myslef

But in my Jr cert i got an E
    But for summer i got a D
    And the horrible i know

But am getting a prative Tutor
    So that might help

And the teacher is making me do ordinary
    Should i
    or should i stick with high and maybe get a c or a d
    But then again tutor might dump that up to a B

aM HORRIBLE AT SPAINSH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭BeeJazizWafuls

with ordinary maths and irish, your max points is 520, not 365? if you do ordinary spanish (i did it, and i was so happy i did!) your max points will be 480!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

First of all don't make any rash decisions, before changing levels. As you said you're going to get grinds in Spanish. Maybe that might lead you in the right direction. I would try to grasp a second chance with the language with this tutor. Perhaps this tutor can bring something to the table, that can help you.

Although an E in Junior Cert might be a bit of a blow to your confidence, give the tutor a shot. Your teacher cannot force you to do ordinary, as at the end of the day it's your choice to make on the form. As a tutor myself I would recommend you to get a hardback copy, divide it between a grammar section and vocabulary section. Maybe start off by learning/revising present tense, and test yourself on simple verbs. Do some verb drills, by writing random present tense conjugations in English like 'he buys', 'we eat', I look, etc and translate to Spanish present tense (using what you have written and are learning)>> él compra, nosotros comemos, yo miro, etc.
    For vocabulary take a topic like myself, school>> and write down the vocabulary in your hardback book under such a title in your vocab section. Write down a few words a night and learn them. Try to draw pictures beside the words, to aid learning. It also helps you to stop relying on English to learn the vocab. Liitle things like this will stand to you, even if you decide to go for Ordinary level. Of course for higher level you'll probably have to learn more advanced vocabulary for the written pieces, but some of that can be learned from LC style comprehensions.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

If you're only not counting one pass subject you still have a max of 560 unless you're only doing 6 subjects. Don't drop. I was failing German at start of 5th year. Got grinds and got an A2 in real thing. Granted I had an extra year but you should be able to pull yourself up to a B. I also had a freak out at start of 6th year. Trust me it's the best time to have it because it's when decisions need to be made. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Out of all the subjects ; Spanish is one of the easiest to bring your grade up by doing a small bit of consistent study.
    Learn 5 words a night/ a phrase for an opinion piece.

Also dont forget the oral and aural is worth over 40% and very simple to prepare for - you've loads of time!

So basically - don't drop :D

Advertisement