Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWII German bomber to be recovered from Goodwin Sands

• 06-09-2010 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11174324

3 September 2010

WWII German bomber to be recovered from Goodwin Sands

A rare German WWII bomber which has been buried in a sandbank off the Kent coast for the past 70 years is to be raised, it has been announced.

The twin-engined Dornier 17 was shot down over Goodwin Sands, near Deal, during the Battle of Britain.

The Royal Air Force (RAF) Museum said it had worked with Wessex Archaeology to survey the site since the bomber emerged from the sands two years ago.

It will go on display at the museum in London once it has been recovered.

A spokeswoman for the RAF said the aircraft was part of an enemy formation which was attempting to attack airfields in Essex when it was intercepted on 26 August 1940.

'Unprecedented survivor'

The bomber's pilot, Willi Effmert, carried out a successful wheels-up landing on Goodwin Sands but the plane sank.

Mr Effmert and another crew member were captured but two other men died.

The aircraft, nicknamed the flying pencil, is said to be largely intact with its main undercarriage tyres inflated and its propellers showing crash damage.

Air Vice-Marshal Peter Dye, director general of the RAF Museum, said: "The discovery of the Dornier is of national and international importance.

"The aircraft is a unique and unprecedented survivor from the Battle of Britain.

"It is particularly significant because, as a bomber, it formed the heart of the Luftwaffe assault and the subsequent Blitz."

He added: "The Dornier will provide an evocative and moving exhibit that will allow the museum to present the wider story of the Battle of Britain and highlight the sacrifices made by the young men of both air forces and from many nations."

Work to prepare the Dornier for display at the Battle of Britain Beacon project will be carried out at the RAF Museum's conservation centre in Cosford, Shropshire.

The museum, with the support of English Heritage and the Ministry of Defence, is drawing up a plan to recover the aircraft.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well, that will be VERY interesting to see when it eventually gets raised and stuffed and mounted.

I'm not too sure about the comment 'He added: "The Dornier will provide an evocative and moving exhibit that will allow the museum to present the wider story of the Battle of Britain and highlight the sacrifices made by the young men of both air forces and from many nations."

As far as I'm concerned the nazi aggressors, intent on the destruction of this nation's military forces, its way of life and the enslavement of its entire population [with you guys next] got what was coming to them.

Sacrifices WERE made by the 'Few', in spite of all the efforts of the opposition 'Many'.

My $0.02

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

tac foley wrote: »
    Well, that will be VERY interesting to see when it eventually gets raised and stuffed and mounted.

I'm not too sure about the comment 'He added: "The Dornier will provide an evocative and moving exhibit that will allow the museum to present the wider story of the Battle of Britain and highlight the sacrifices made by the young men of both air forces and from many nations."

As far as I'm concerned the nazi aggressors, intent on the destruction of this nation's military forces, its way of life and the enslavement of its entire population [with you guys next] got what was coming to them.

Sacrifices WERE made by the 'Few', in spite of all the efforts of the opposition 'Many'.

My $0.02

tac

Tac, fair enough, but the majority of those killed on both sides in ANY legal conflict are just following orders. Not all Luftwaffe pilots were Nazi's, and i think that that's the distinction the commentator is making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

My $0.02

tac

Not all germans were nazis, in fact evidence of nazism amongst pilots is pretty low. Most airmen were just doing their duty for their country just like on the british side. They fought hard and deserve the same recognition as any RAF airman.

Not all germans were nazis, in fact evidence of nazism amongst pilots is pretty low. Most airmen were just doing their duty for their country just like on the british side. They fought hard and deserve the same recognition as any RAF airman.

OI!!! Quit nicking my argument!!! :D;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Gentlemen, I'm afraid that I will have to disagree with your sentiments.

nazis or staunch catholics, they were the aggressors in an unprovoked war of annihilation, intent on invading this country, after having already achieved that aim in much of Europe, and having invaded, enslaving the population and destroying some of it in the process. You were going to be next, and your armed forces would have been made into mincemeat.

As a Jew, none of my family would have survived their death camps, and I would not be here today.

In my book, defenders make sacrifices, attackers in an unprovoked war of annihilation do not.

I'm out of this thread.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Gentlemen, I'm afraid that I will have to disagree with your sentiments.

nazis or staunch catholics, they were the aggressors in an unprovoked war of annihilation, intent on invading this country, after having already achieved that aim in much of Europe, and having invaded, enslaving the population and destroying some of it in the process. You were going to be next, and your armed forces would have been made into mincemeat.

As a Jew, none of my family would have survived their death camps, and I would not be here today.

In my book, defenders make sacrifices, attackers in an unprovoked war of annihilation do not.

I'm out of this thread.

tac
    Talk about simplifying the whole war with a narrow black and white viewpoint. I think you need to take a closer look at what happened. Ironically it was a spread black and white generalised viewpoint of the jews that made the holocaust possible in the first place.

All jews = evil
    All german soldiers = evil

Same generalisations. Same ignorance of reality.

axer wrote: »
    Talk about simplifying the whole war with a narrow black and white viewpoint. I think you need to take a closer look at what happened. Ironically it was a spread black and white generalised viewpoint of the jews that made the holocaust possible in the first place.

All jews = evil

The man is entitled to his opinion, you may disagree with it, i may disagree with it, but considering he served under the British flag (Tac, that's not meant as a dig, i just don't think you mentioned what branch you served in) his opinion may be somewhat more indicative of the feeling across the water. Calling it ignorance of reality isn't all that helpful in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

All jews = evil

This thread was already Go(o)dwinned from the beginning, no need to compound the effort!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

gatecrash wrote: »
    The man is entitled to his opinion, you may disagree with it, i may disagree with it, but considering he served under the British flag (Tac, that's not meant as a dig, i just don't think you mentioned what branch you served in) his opinion may be somewhat more indicative of the feeling across the water. Calling it ignorance of reality isn't all that helpful in fairness
    I am not denying the man his opinion. I am just strongly disagreeing with with. Black and white generalisations of german soldiers as all being evil is ignorance of reality since every soldier had their story to tell as to why they were in the war. German soldiers died bravely too and made ultimate sacrifices for their fellow soldiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I am not denying the man his opinion. I am just strongly disagreeing with with. Black and white generalisations of german soldiers as all being evil is ignorance of reality since every soldier had their story to tell as to why they were in the war. German soldiers died bravely too and made ultimate sacrifices for their fellow soldiers.

Indeed. Added to that the fact that the British army conducted more aggressive wars of conquest than you could shake a stick at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement