Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to increase Wi-Fi range/strength?

Options
  • 06-09-2010 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, I am using a Netopia 3347NWG router and with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1564) in my room, I am only getting between 10-20% signal. What are some of the best ways to increase my wireless signal cheaply? I had a quick search and one of the solutions was to buy a Aiport Express/Extreme from Apple?
    Would this be a good buy? or have you any better solutions.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

What are some of the best ways to increase my wireless signal cheaply?

Cheapest ways are :

Move the router closer (long telephone cable)
    Try changing the router's wireless channel to see if it makes a difference.
    Avoid buying any extra equipment starting with the word 'Apple' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Unless youve serious interference going on and youre in a huge house yiu shouldnt need to boost ur signal.
    Make sure the modem is close to the centre of the house and you should have decent reception even in 2000 ftsq of a house. Keep it up off the floor and away from cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors etc. Try changing the wireless channel. Neighbours on the same channel will significantly reduce your signal.

I just went through this process in my sisters house at the weekend and she has the eircom netopia router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Take a look at this program: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

It will help you visualise the wireless spectrum and find some free air.

Advertisement