Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best free web hosting

• 06-09-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

What are the best way to get a free website(s) or webpages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

do you want templates so you can put your own website together or just space to host your website?

if you want a google and easy solution try googles offering. i'd maintain that you need to pay for hosting to get any kind of proper service though. provides support too when things go wrong. i like www.hostgator.com and it's not too expensive either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

It won't be all your own domain name something like yourname.wordpress.com

Perhaps there are some Irish based ones too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

jpl888 wrote: »

It won't be all your own domain name something like yourname.wordpress.com

Perhaps there are some Irish based ones too?

If i sign up for a blog account and set up a website for something temporary (eg something that is only happening once) and then let let the website go do i then have to set up another account?

Random wrote: »
    do you want templates so you can put your own website together or just space to host your website?

if you want a google and easy solution try googles offering. i'd maintain that you need to pay for hosting to get any kind of proper service though. provides support too when things go wrong. i like www.hostgator.com and it's not too expensive either.

Its too learn a bit about web design and also to advertise certaain things(more as a favour than as a job)

What do you mean about templates?

Bob Z wrote: »
    If i sign up for a blog account and set up a website for something temporary (eg something that is only happening once) and then let let the website go do i then have to set up another account?

No. The account will stay live forever, they don't have a way of deleting accounts, but you can use the same email to sign up for a new one.

See http://en.support.wordpress.com/deleting-accounts/

• Advertisement

jpl888 wrote: »
    No. The account will stay live forever, they don't have a way of deleting accounts, but you can use the same email to sign up for a new one.

See http://en.support.wordpress.com/deleting-accounts/

Ok i thought i would have to keep creating new addresses so thats good but why do they keep the account alive?

Is word press better than blogger or blogspot? or any of the others?

Bob Z wrote: »
    Ok i thought i would have to keep creating new addresses so thats good but why do they keep the account alive?

Is word press better than blogger or blogspot? or any of the others?

Read the FAQ link I posted regarding deletion of accounts.

I'm not sure whether Wordpress would be better per se, but it is licensed under the GPL, which means it is open and transparent.

If you wanted to do something more in depth and you have a machine you can use you could also do a complete DIY hosting job from your own internet connection. I'm sure it would be an interesting learning excercise and you could use Wordpress/Drupal/any LAMP compatible CMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

An interesting free web host offer is www.frihost.net you gotta post once per day on their forum, and they give you free hosting for it.

I used it for a while, but i wasn't arsed posting on the forum, so I gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Google Sites might be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

• Advertisement

So could i start off with blogger or wordpress o
    (or both) and then move onto a free web hosting and then paid hosting? would it be a bad idea to have all these sites with more or less the same content floaring around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Have used this in the past:
    http://www.000webhost.com/

Advertisement