Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Place to live within 10k of Tullamore

Options
  • 06-09-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for any recommendations on best places to live and reason why. within a 10k radius of Tullamore. Maybe Tullamore itself or a particular part of Tullamore is a great place to live, but I thought that it would do no harm to get some local input.

I am looking for somewhere low on crime (I know that crime is everywhere). A primary school, shop, GAA club and pub.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Whats your budget, no point giving a recommendation if there is nothing available to buy/rent in your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Whats your budget, no point giving a recommendation if there is nothing available to buy/rent in your budget.

It cost's nothing to give a recommendation. Beyond that I will decide whether to buy a home, buy some land to build a place or rent. I am not asking for someone to do a search for property.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Well the main areas close to Tullamore are Geashill, Killeigh, Daingean, Clara, Rahan etc. All of these have everything you asked for so maybe an idea on specifics on houses/apartments/sites etc that might interest you could help us give you a better answer.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Well the main areas close to Tullamore are Geashill, Killeigh, Daingean, Clara, Rahan etc. All of these have everything you asked for so maybe an idea on specifics on houses/apartments/sites etc that might interest you could help us give you a better answer.

Hi Quazzie
    Thanks for the reply, I have looked up the places that you have mentioned.
    I did not mention specifics on houses/apartments/sites etc, As the type of houses/apartments/sites etc will come a distant second to the right location.

I thought that someone would have some local knowledge of the places that you mentioned. Hence my question best places to live and reason why?
    Example: I like Geashill because the local community are very friendly and my kids love the local school.

Thanks

Well each area is different for a variety of reasons and the appeal of each is as individual as you are bill quickly go through the areas I know of.
    Daingean.
    Technically a town but essentially just a large village.
    Schools. There is a national school for the young kids and then a choice of Edenderry or Tullamore for secondary level kids.
    Sport. Daingean has a wide variety of sporting facilities which include GAA (football only) Soccer, Kick boxing for all ages, Boxing, Golf at Castle Barna and a good angling community along the canal.
    Crime. Since you mentioned crime I'll include it. Daingean is a small town/large village so like most areas of equivalent size it does have small problems with teenagers, but certainly no more than other places. If you buy a house in one of the many surrounding rural localities you rule out most of the problem too.

Geashill
    I'm not as familiar with this village but I'll give as much info as possible. It's a smaller village and the options for sport facilities etc reflect this proportionaly. GAA is the main sport with a fine pitch and decent underage set up. The village itself is friendly, if quiet. The people are friendly and schools are accommodating for everyone. Secondary school is primarily Tullamore although I hear some go to Portarlington.

To be honest I wish I could give you the answer you're looking for, but to be honest a drive around the area on a Saturday will answer more of your questions that I ever could.

• Advertisement

Well each area is different for a variety of reasons and the appeal of each is as individual as you are bill quickly go through the areas I know of.
    Daingean.
    Technically a town but essentially just a large village.
    Schools. There is a national school for the young kids and then a choice of Edenderry or Tullamore for secondary level kids.
    Sport. Daingean has a wide variety of sporting facilities which include GAA (football only) Soccer, Kick boxing for all ages, Boxing, Golf at Castle Barna and a good angling community along the canal.
    Crime. Since you mentioned crime I'll include it. Daingean is a small town/large village so like most areas of equivalent size it does have small problems with teenagers, but certainly no more than other places. If you buy a house in one of the many surrounding rural localities you rule out most of the problem too.

Geashill
    I'm not as familiar with this village but I'll give as much info as possible. It's a smaller village and the options for sport facilities etc reflect this proportionaly. GAA is the main sport with a fine pitch and decent underage set up. The village itself is friendly, if quiet. The people are friendly and schools are accommodating for everyone. Secondary school is primarily Tullamore although I hear some go to Portarlington.

To be honest I wish I could give you the answer you're looking for, but to be honest a drive around the area on a Saturday will answer more of your questions that I ever could.

Thanks Quazzie, That was very much the type of info I am looking for.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Hi Pigeon1916,

I've been living in Geashill for 4 years now. Before that I lived in Dublin and other large towns, so it was a bit of a change moving to a small village.

My wife and I have a small child now, so we like the easy going pace of the village now. The people are very friendly and the village is very well kept. 3 pubs, so you won't be stuck for a night out, we go to Hamiltons, very nice pub and very friendly customers and publican.

The national school has a good reputation as well. There are some house for sale in Ard Riadha ( I think), very good value.

Also, there are sites for sale, good value also I'm told.

So, that's my tuppenceworth. Nice place all in all, not too far from Tullamore as well, which is handy.

boobar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Hi, I'd recommend Mucklagh! Not really a village (is it?) but its got everything you could really need - A pub, A shop, A school, Shamrocks GAA and a Church.
    Its pretty quiet, there doesn't seem to be much bother and youre only a couple of minutes from tullamore town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Geashill is a lovely village. I'm originally from between Geashill and Killeigh so familiar with areas though I haven't lived there in years!
    But it's my hometown/village/townland?!

Geashill is a really well kept place, very pretty and decent amount of facilities for it's size. There's a school, post-office, service station and think there's a second shop (not sure if it closed down) and 3 pubs!

People are friendly and down-to-earth. There's a big GAA field and only few miles from Tullamore and Portarlington.

Killeigh has PO, small creche, 2 shops, 1 pub. It's ok but I think Geashill is nicer place.

Never heard of anything serious happening in either place (crimewise) both quiet villages.

Hope this is of some help, let me know if you need any more info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Ballinagar anyone????
    Very nice place, GAA and Soccer club, primary school. Shop is like any other village shop, a bit expensive but the pub is unreal. Music everyweekend, Alan the barman is a gent, open fire and very often pool, darts kareoke comps. Free BBQ's etc. We moved here 6 months ago and no regrets at al

• Advertisement

Rumour has it the GAA in Ballinagar won't be returning next year. Strange one really after they finally got the lotto up and running and some money into the club.

As I said though its just a rumour so its to be taken with a pinch of salt, but the basis of the rumour is that they considered folding this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Rumour has it the GAA in Ballinagar won't be returning next year. Strange one really after they finally got the lotto up and running and some money into the club.

As I said though its just a rumour so its to be taken with a pinch of salt, but the basis of the rumour is that they considered folding this year.

controversial!!!:D think killeigh and geashill merged their clubs years ago...I'm not too up-to-date on GAA back home now but maybe ballinagar could merge with another small village?

OP any decisions made yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

What about Durrow as well, just a short distance out of the town centre but you can find some really nicely situated sites out through the backroads.

I lived in Durrow all my life until recently. Great place to grow up running through fields, forests etc if ya know the place but no shop or pub and school is more interested in money. A lot of the local familys kids have been taken out to other schools. Not the school it used to be IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

+1 on Durrow (I am biased tho!) but there is NOTHING around. Its so rural (and i love it like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onlylooking

Ballinagar without a doubt. It has the amenities you mentioned but what really sells it to me are the people, much more genuine and friendly than other small villages around.

Ballinagar without a doubt. It has the amenities you mentioned but what really sells it to me are the people, much more genuine and friendly than other small villages around.

Yea well we felt fierce welcome. None of this 'blow in' sh'ite either. Least not to our face anyway:D
    Very friendly people and the things the pub does for the customers is great

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Kilbeggan is 10km from Tullamore. Has shops, Drs, chemist, employment, GAA, drama, karate,creche, good schools and the motorway at your doorstep. Good quality houses are very good value here at the moment. I live in the village and its a great community to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 united

bit late on this thread, but im thinking of moving to Kilbeggan in particular , l have 3 small kids and wondering what is the schools etc like and the town in general, have been there a few times recently to get a feel for the place and it seems really nice but nothing like a bit of local knowledge , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

I fully agree with coolaboy, Kilbegan is a nice little town, people are friendly and good schools, i have friends in tullamore that send their kids to school there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Yea well we felt fierce welcome. None of this 'blow in' sh'ite either. Least not to our face anyway:D
    Very friendly people and the things the pub does for the customers is great

I hail from Ballinagar and like to think it as a welcoming close knit (but not insular) village. Great new school v popular and all private housing. DSL broadband and the GAA club going well, soccer club back too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 united

240 Robert wrote: »
    I fully agree with coolaboy, Kilbegan is a nice little town, people are friendly and good schools, i have friends in tullamore that send their kids to school there.

Thanks 240 Robert, are you from the area, have you any further tips or advice , cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

From tullamore but i have friends living in kilbeggan, sometimes stop off in the town on the way through from dublin or mullingar.
    Shop locally, butchers, newsagents, hardware, have a coffee in the pantry and when your kids start in the local school/gaa club you will get to meet and know people.
    Best of Luck if you decide to move down.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Hi, i'm looking for some info on Ballinagar and Geashill, what are the villages like, what are the pubs like, any recommendations on how to meet new people in the areas (young couple with no kids)? What's the nearest take away etc. Any info appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ballinagar is nice but there is just one pub, its ok but you would be better off heading into town. It can go from being a bit rough to being an old man pub. I think they have a soccer team. There's a shop there (super expensive though) and you're close to daingean geashill and tullamore.

Geashill is a bit bigger but I'm not overly familiar with it

Advertisement