Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Super Mario Bros.Wii

Options
  • 06-09-2010 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I just completed New Super Mario Bros. Wii and thoroughly enjoyed it.As an avid Super Mario fan I felt as though it was well in sync with the other games.
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there's any plans to make a sequel?I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy now but it's just not the same IMO.
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haven't heard anything about a sequel but there's New super mario bros on the DS but I found it not to be that great at all. You could always get Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World or Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island, 3 fantastic games that play similarly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

All for the Wii or the DS?Jeese I didn't even know there were others out,just goes to show how behind I am.Thanks I'll look into them ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the other games are for the NES and SNES, they are old but no less fantastic. You can buy most of them on the Virtual Console service on the Wii but unfortunately yoshis island isn't up there just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Doodle53 wrote: »
    All for the Wii or the DS?Jeese I didn't even know there were others out,just goes to show how behind I am.Thanks I'll look into them ;)
    20 years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I have read that Nintendo are going to re-issue Super Mario All-Stars on the Wii to celebrate Mario's 25th anniversary. That should give you your fill of 2D Mario.

• Advertisement

Well it depends what they include on the disc. If it's just the SNES all-stars game they can feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well there is always TGS next week, maybe Ninty will announce some new stuff. Probably not, I imagine it will be dominated by the 3DS.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    20 years:D

No I meant I didn't know you could play them on the Wii.I had them on the SNES back in the day.
    I'm only a teenager,don't discriminate ;)

Bloody Whippersnappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything about a sequel but there's New super mario bros on the DS but I found it not to be that great at all. You could always get Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World or Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island, 3 fantastic games that play similarly.

Come on Retr0 thats the game thet made me buy the DS now I do think it was a tad bit easy but the game play was excellent.
    As for SuperMario Bros 3 thats the greatest Mario game ever and is available onthe GBA where I play most of those games

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    Come on Retr0 thats the game thet made me buy the DS now I do think it was a tad bit easy but the game play was excellent.

Did you not find it a bit disappointing especially for a Mario game? I know I did. I mean there's nothing wrong with it but it isn't anything special and the level design doesn't stand out. It really doesn'y compare to the older mario games. Mario Bros. Wii is such a superb game and shows what Mario DS really should have been. Every level in that game is memorable and different, it reminds me a bit of Yoshi's Island in that regard.

Did you not find it a bit disappointing especially for a Mario game? I know I did. I mean there's nothing wrong with it but it isn't anything special and the level design doesn't stand out. It really doesn'y compare to the older mario games. Mario Bros. Wii is such a superb game and shows what Mario DS really should have been. Every level in that game is memorable and different, it reminds me a bit of Yoshi's Island in that regard.

Yes I did find it a tad dissappointing but I had high expectations for it. The level design was pretty good so I thought and the only issue I really had with it was it was quite easy. Mario Bros Wii is a better game but it still pales in comparison to Mario Bros 3 that game still holds up as one of the great all time games

I prefer mario world and yoshi's island and would rate Mario Wii above Mario 3 but when you are talking about games of suchhigh calibre it really comes down to personal preference. All I can say about them for sure is that everyone should play them all!

I prefer mario world and yoshi's island and would rate Mario Wii above Mario 3 but when you are talking about games of suchhigh calibre it really comes down to personal preference. All I can say about them for sure is that everyone should play them all!

100% agree Mario is one of the best collection of games to own and they have replay value even after 20 years which can't be said for many games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

New super mario bros on the DS but I found it not to be that great at all.

I agree, I actually played through NSMB: DS in one sitting, while waiting for a WoW addicted friend of mine to finish an instance run in AQ40.

I believe they wiped on the first boss 4 times before giving up. In that time I had beaten the game. It felt very unsatisfying.

My personal favourite 2D platformer is probably Yoshi's Island, it just did so many things so excellently.

My favourite 2D platformer of recent years was by far Warioland the Shake Dimension. It was fun from start to finish, quite challenging in places, and laugh out loud funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I really enjoyed NSMB: DS but I ended up playing it through twice in a row because it felt a little on the short and easy side. +1 for Wario Land: The Shake Dimension, it's well worth getting if you want another good 2D platformer on the Wii.

Ok so after completing Super Mario Galaxy I can say that I've been converted to the 3D Mario games.Gotta get Super Mario Galaxy 2 now,heard it's even better.BOOM!

Mario 64 is fantastic and so is sunshine even if it's ridiculously hard at times and you need a faq for the blue coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Mario 64 is fantastic and so is sunshine even if it's ridiculously hard at times and you need a faq for the blue coins.

Mario 64 was my first console game, it's fantastic! I love 3D games, can't really play the 2D ones...

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is fantastic. Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Yeah Mario 64 is pretty cool. A horrible control pad (not the controls, just the pad) made it too difficult for me to play. After the DS version though, I managed to get all the DS stars. But the graphics do look pretty cool for a n64 game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Yeah Mario 64 is pretty cool. A horrible control pad (not the controls, just the pad) made it too difficult for me to play. After the DS version though, I managed to get all the DS stars. But the graphics do look pretty cool for a n64 game.

Wait you're saying the N64 had a horrible control pad that made Mario 64 unplayable, but the DS version (which uses either a run button, or controls entirely with the stylus) was superior?

Today must be opposite day.

Wait you're saying the N64 had a horrible control pad that made Mario 64 unplayable, but the DS version (which uses either a run button, or controls entirely with the stylus) was superior?

Today must be opposite day.

I'm with you on that, I can't see how it's possible to play mario64 on the DS. Well I can, but the N64 version was much better.

But then, I liked the N64 control pad

Mario 64 was made for the N64 pad. Thought it controlled great. Mario 64 DS for me was kind of ruined a little by the controls and totally ruined by bugs that wouldn't let me collect all the stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just got Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii last week. Prior to this, I didn't think the word "delightful" should be used unless when having afternoon tea with a vicar, but it really is a joy to play. It's so like Yoshi's Island in the way it feels like every single moment of gameplay has been considered, engineered and quality assessed for generating a full-on cheek-cramping smile.

Anyway, it's reminded me of my mispent youth with SMW and Yoshi's Island, and left me hankering for some old-school 2-d platform action. How does NSMB:Wii compare to the 2-D sections of SMG2? Also, how does it compare to the DS NSMB?
    (I've found the 2-D bits of Galaxy 2 to be fantastic. I played NSMB for a couple of weeks when it came out but I remember nothing about it, it was competent but unremarkable)

Banjo wrote: »
    Just got Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii last week. Prior to this, I didn't think the word "delightful" should be used unless when having afternoon tea with a vicar, but it really is a joy to play. It's so like Yoshi's Island in the way it feels like every single moment of gameplay has been considered, engineered and quality assessed for generating a full-on cheek-cramping smile.

It's fabulous, isn't it?! My one criticism would be that the difficulty level is a bit all over the place. In many levels getting to the boss is harder than defeating him. But generally I'm impressed. I've even managed to win the husband over, who wouldn't usually play such a cartoon-like game and hadn't played a mario game on anything other than the SNES.

Oh, but I do hate that purple blob who keeps telling me that I've been through a lot and maybe I should take a break. I can handle it, god damn it!

Banjo wrote: »
    Anyway, it's reminded me of my mispent youth with SMW and Yoshi's Island, and left me hankering for some old-school 2-d platform action. How does NSMB:Wii compare to the 2-D sections of SMG2? Also, how does it compare to the DS NSMB?
    (I've found the 2-D bits of Galaxy 2 to be fantastic. I played NSMB for a couple of weeks when it came out but I remember nothing about it, it was competent but unremarkable)

I found NSMB DS to be uninspired with most of the levels not being memorable at all. It was ok but by far the worst main series Mario game made and hugely disappointing.

NSMB Wii however is sublime. It's as good as Mario world and Mario 3. Every level is a unique twist on the traditional platforming and each one stands out and is memorable just like with Mario 3, World and Yoshi's. It's seriously good and you should pick it up. Multiplayer is a mess but a great laugh, loads of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

i-digress wrote: »
    I'm with you on that, I can't see how it's possible to play mario64 on the DS. Well I can, but the N64 version was much better.

But then, I liked the N64 control pad

It was just too awkward for me. Then again I have small hands and the feckin' Z button was underneath it and just UGH:mad:
    I may have slightly disliked the bulk design over my dwarf like hands. :P

But on the DS (while I would beg for a bigger screen like with the VC for the wii) it wsa still much better. I just thought the N64 pad was like te Xbox one: too bulky and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I collected the very last Golden Coin in New Super Mario Bros. Wii last night. Those last few on World 9 were very, very hard. Still it is very satisfying to have finished it totally.

If only the Wii had achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

i-digress wrote: »
    Mario 64 was my first console game, it's fantastic! I love 3D games, can't really play the 2D ones...

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is fantastic. Love it!

I'd be the complete opposite, I find the 2d ones a lot better!

Loved NSMB, completeing 2d mario games is never that difficult, the real challange is getting all the stars

Loved Mario All-stars, mario world and was over the moon with super mario brothers on the Wii, I found all these to be incredibly addictive.

I always found Mario 64 to be good but quite overratted, I have it on the DS now and find some of the stars a chore. I enjoyed Mario galaxy and will definitely buy Mario Galaxy 2 but for the sheer fun factor I much prefer the 2d games

• Advertisement
Advertisement