Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good vegetable soup recipe?

Options
  • 06-09-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has a nice recipe for vegetable soup. I've only started liking it in the past few years so I want to try make a nice one myself!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

lizt wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has a nice recipe for vegetable soup. I've only started liking it in the past few years so I want to try make a nice one myself!

Remember it is absolutely important to make a good stock as a base for the soup. Next time you do a leg of lamb or a chicken keep the bones; or trimmings from veggies for a vegetable stock. Soften a few roughly cut onions, carrots and a few sticks of celery in a big pot with a nob of butter. Add the lamb bones or chicken carcass and a few sprigs of thyme and some bay leaves. Season very well with salt and pepper. Pour 2 kettles of water in and allow it to come to the boil. Then turn it down and allow to simmer with the lid on for 2 hours or so. Strain it off when done and you should have a nice cloudy stock.

I think Leek and Potato soup is the daddy of veggie soups. Chop up a good amount of leeks; maybe 5. Chop up 2 sticks of celery as well. Throw them all in a big pot with a little oil and soften them for a few minutes. Peel and thinly slice up 5 decent sized potatoes. Pour your stock into the pot with the leek and celery. Throw the sliced up potatoes in. Let it cook for an hour or so. The potato will thicken it up to a nice soupy consistency so if it's too runny add some more in. When it's ready get a blender and whizz it up until you get a nice smooth consistency. The soup should have a slight peppery taste so remember to keep checking the seasoning. You can tweak the amounts if you are making more or less. I like it served with a little balsamic vinegar dripped on top.

Advertisement