Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech disorder..??????

Options
  • 06-09-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

This is kinda a long shot posting this here. But I just saw the forum and thought 'why-not'.

Ok so this mightened even be a speech disorder per se. But I often have a lot of trouble getting sentences out.

Like I always know in my head exactly what I want to say but I just cant get it out.

Between not being able to get the words out, or getting self concious in the middle of saying something, consequently distracting myself which in turn leads me to mess up by stammering or just outrightly forgetting what it was I was going to say :(

The worst thing I do, and it really really annoys me is..... emmm I cant even explain it, I'll just give you an example

I might want to say something like

"Its rush hour down here"

But would instead say

"Its rour hush down here"

I swear to god if I tried to do it I couldnt. But it just comes out. It happens about 4 or 5 times a day- on an average day. If Im under any pressure then forget it, every second sentence has half words put with other half words, stammering and then forgetting what I was even going to say :(:(:(:(

Does anyone know what this is? Or am I just ditsy or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Hi Gerry.L,

I'm not sure what age you are from your post but from what you have said you may have a speech or language disorder which, from the sounds of it, may be accompanied by stress and frustration which are complicating things!

If you wanted a professional opinion as to what might be going on for you you could arrange an appointment to see a local Speech and Language Therapist who can talk to you in more detail about what you have explained. If you do have a speech or language difficulty they will be able to work with you around these things that are affecting you.

I just posted the following as a response to another message but it might be of more help here.

"Your local HSE Speech and Language Therapy Service should have a therapist who works with adults and could see you for therapy around stammering. To find your nearest Speech Therapist go to hse.ie and click on the following...

Find a health service; Local health offices; (choose your local area); Therapy services; Speech and Language Therapy"

And don't worry about getting the message jumbled up if you do decide to make a phone-call as everyone is there to help. Also usually you can just ask for a referral form to be sent out to you and then you just post that back!

Hope this is helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

As a SLT... I would think from what you are describing you may have trouble with word retrieval which means finding the correct word from your vocabulary bank but it could also be a sentence processing difficulty.

Do get in touch with your local service to discuss this!

Advertisement