Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality Tv and suicide

Options
  • 06-09-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Right whats the story with this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056022223

Suicide stuff needs to be taken seriously, I did the report button thing and contacting a mod and a cmod and this is outragreous shyte.

Have any of you any idea how serious this is???

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm sorry, but I'm not really getting what the issue is here. The thread title isn't making light of a person being potentially suicidal, nor do I see this anywhere else in the thread. As Mr. E has posted, this story has been widely reported in the papers, so it's not as if it's just breaking news. The person the thread is about is a public figure, albeit a Z-lister, and they are not posting about this issue here themselves. If this was on PI and a poster said they were suicidal, we'd close the thread immediately after referring them to the Samaritans or other agencies that could help them. However this is not the case and as yet I see no good reason to take any further action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Ok, fair enough, Zaph, I see what you are saying.

Nonetheless, where does the responsibily for this kind of glib speech of suicide rest?

I understand the point that this kind of information is already widespread on every kind of media, however it does suggest as a thread here on boards that suicide is a viable option because a celebrity (or whatever a-z listing they are )someone in the public eye is on a thread here on boards literally being told to others that they are vulnerable and 'need love' otherwise they might suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If I may add some recent context to this issue;

As category moderator, I have been in contact with the local moderation team and we are working on some amendments to the thread, which will hopefully tone down the potential impact on the language and set the context firmly within the news story.

I will keep a personal interest as do the reality tv moderators, and obviously watch for anything that will stray over the line with regards to the thread content.

I trust that we can keep the discussion relevant to the particular news item without giving leave to promotion of anything outside of reality tv.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Darlughda wrote: »
    Nonetheless, where does the responsibily for this kind of glib speech of suicide rest?

Again, I'm not seeing what you're seeing on this thread. There's no glib speech about suicide that I can make out. Some posters have suggested that Nadia is delusional and not a very nice person, and it has been suggested that the suicide story has been leaked by her handlers to gain some publicity/notoriety. I don't see anyone making fun or belittling the act of suicide itself, but I am open to correction if you can give me some examples.

As regards responsibility for "glib speech of suicide", I'm not sure what you mean by responsibility. All posters on boards are responsible for the words they post, and Boards is ultimately responsible for the site content, if that's what you're getting at?

Darlughda wrote: »
    I understand the point that this kind of information is already widespread on every kind of media, however it does suggest as a thread here on boards that suicide is a viable option because a celebrity (or whatever a-z listing they are )someone in the public eye is on a thread here on boards literally being told to others that they are vulnerable and 'need love' otherwise they might suicide.

I really do think you're reading far too much into this tbh. Just because there's a thread on Boards about a person who has widely been reported as being suicidal, it doesn't mean that the posters on the thread, or Boards as a body corporate view suicide as a viable option. It's merely a discussion about one person's state of mind, and how it may be so fragile that they may be having suicidal thoughts. Or that it may be all a publicity stunt. It wouldn't be the first time someone has said or done something particularly distasteful for a bit of publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Thanks to whoever changed the title of the thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement