Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new computer

• 06-09-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a new computer mainly for using the internet and doing assignments/research for college. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what is a good computer to buy?

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to buying computers so i'm not sure what I should look for i.e. in terms of memory, processing speed so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Would you be looking for a laptop or desktop PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Well I was thinking of getting another desktop, personally I like them more than laptops but if I was recommended a good laptop i'd still consider it. It's just i'm not sure if i'd take advantage of a laptops 'mobility' so would I be wasting my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

If you don't mind me asking, what's your budget for this new computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

the ones in aldi are good, and quite cheap, take a look I'd say!, if you cana fford, I'd buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Groinshot wrote: »
    the ones in aldi are good, and quite cheap, take a look I'd say!, if you cana fford, I'd buy one.
    This is the one they have in now:

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14008.htm

It would be more than capable for your needs.
    Not a great graphics card and no USB 3.0 input, but pretty good besides that.

Product_detail_Wk36S28.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

If you are not going to take advantage of the laptops mobility buy a desktop.

If something goes wrong with the laptop it can be expensive to replace but if something goes wrong with the desktop usually components can be replaced cheaper.

It helps to have a budget when recommending something but your requirements would not be that demanding on most new desktop pc's.

The desktop shown in Aldi is a good alround machine just be aware it doesn't include a monitor for that price.

My recommendation would be to stay away from Celeron processors.

If you ever want to play games or do any graphical work you should get a dedicated graphics card although this can always be added to a desktop at a later stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

In general, the Aldi machines are excellent, especially considering the 3 year warranty.
    I've had some troubles but others never had any complaints at all.
    My Aldi machine is now 1 1/2 years old, and the problem got eventually sorted (took 3 tries until they actually believed me and probed a bit deeper). Generally very solid machines.
    Support is good if things can be sorted over the phone. If the box needs to go back to Germany for repairs, it can take up to 3 days for collection. However, fixing and returning is speedy enough. Having said that, the procedure seems pretty trouble-free and easy compared to what one hears about Dell support :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I have a (one and a half year old) Medio pc from Aldi. Have had no complaints and it's a fine machine however I already had a class monitor, which they don't come with. You'd probably be better off going for a deal combo somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JoeyJonson

aldi's pcs were a good option a year or more ago but their prices on machines these days are just not at the races i think. The spec doesn't command the prices.

You could get a very good hp machine with a nice monitor with win 7 for approx 650 that would last you 5 years if minded. i don't recommend going to the likes of pc world or powercity for one though as the sales people haven't got a clue and just want to sell sell sell including their "excellent warranty packages". go to an independent computer store, plenty in dublin where they will help you a lot more and recommend the right pc for your needs

Advertisement