Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please suggest a home wireless router

Options
  • 06-09-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm on 15mbps UPC broadband. I have a WRT54G v7 which can't handle torrents+browsing (even with torrent upload speed limited).

Could you please suggest any current good options for a replacement wireless router?

Having options such as being able to assign static IPs from the router's admin to certain MAC addresses, and QOS, would be a bonus.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Why are u replacing the wrt54g?? That's a good router.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

It seems like the v7.0 that I have isn't the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Yeah, I've gathered that. Did you disable DHT in your torrent application?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

The Buffalo WHR-HP-300N is good value and also allows you the option of installing DD-WRT firmware on it. Generally I find the Buffalo stuff very good. Other older Buffalo models that work well are the WHR-G54S & WHR-HP-G54 which can also be used with DD-WRT.

Zab wrote: »

What's the reason for this?

• Advertisement

eoinoc333 wrote: »
    It seems like the v7.0 that I have isn't the best.

I doubt this is a problem with ur router.

What's the reason for this?

Less for the router to do essentially. If you're sending/receiving DHT updates from hundreds of peers then your router has to both route and keep track of this (even though they're UDP. If you're using NAT the router still needs an entry so that you get replies).
    I doubt this is a problem with ur router.

Actually the v7 is known to collapse under stress. It's not of the same quality as the other routers in the series and has different hardware.

Unfortunately, this didn't seem to make a difference.

Are you willing to take even slightly reduced torrent performance? I'm guessing that you can probably resolve this by limiting the amount of connections that uTorrent (or whatever) makes for both uploading and downloading. It will effect performance but it shouldn't be too bad (i.e. halving the connections wouldn't halve the performance, the hit might actually be negligible).

I have no router recommendations for you as I haven't looked into new ones in too long.

bhickey wrote: »
    The Buffalo WHR-HP-300N is good value and also allows you the option of installing DD-WRT firmware on it. Generally I find the Buffalo stuff very good. Other older Buffalo models that work well are the WHR-G54S & WHR-HP-G54 which can also be used with DD-WRT.

This is a follow-up after a couple of months.

The items bhickey recommended are cable modems. I take it that this would replace my current combination of UPC modem + wireless router.

Question is, should I completely replace the UPC modem with a cable WiFi router, or just buy a standard WiFi router and plug it in to the existing UPC modem?

• Advertisement

You cannot replace the modem that UPC give you. Other equipment will not work on their network. However, you can switch their modem into bridge mode (if it's actually a router) and use a wireless router attached to it.

You cannot replace the modem that UPC give you. Other equipment will not work on their network. However, you can switch their modem into bridge mode (if it's actually a router) and use a wireless router attached to it.

Ok, so that tells me to stay away from the cable modems suggested above, but rather just go for a standard wireless router.

eoinoc333 wrote: »
    Ok, so that tells me to stay away from the cable modems suggested above, but rather just go for a standard wireless router.

Get a DECENT wireless router....
    I'd recommend the Netgear wndr3700

Oh, nom nom!

Advertisement