Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im gonna join the army, but im gay, is that problemetic?

• 06-09-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Has this ever been an issue in anyones experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭82dgolf

In the last few days i have read alot of Military documents online.And i have not seen anything that would prevent it.

You might need to change the title to,

I am gonna apply to join the army, but i am gay, is that problematic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JoshGold

82dgolf wrote: »
    I am gonna apply to join the army, but i am gay, is that problematic?

Your right, sorry, im gonna apply to join the army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

JoshGold wrote: »

No, it won't be. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I know a gay lad who's in and finds it grand.
    I'd imagine it's the same as any other profession; be professional and you'll have no problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Served with an openly gay guy and girl. Its not a problem at all. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

When I was in back in the 80s, as long as you didn't make it an issue. It wasn't an issue. In the FCA we met a gay guy in the PDF who made a move on one of ours. Our guy effectively blackmailed the him. Being a middle class unit we all felt that was bang out of order. Remember back then it was actually illegal to be gay.

Frankly, keep it professional. There is no need to overdo the thing. You will be a soldier first and foremost. What you do on your days off is your concern.

But to be honest, even if I was gay, seeing some of the stuff I did would put me off the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Is shouldnt be an issue, however overt displays of anyone sexuality are not welcomed from anyone.

Straight couples have to be as discreet as possible and there are strict guidelines govering interpersonnel relationships.

I cannot say you will not suffer from no homophobic reactions from your peers but you'd get the same slagging if you were ginger, a dub or had a deep bogger accent.

But it if you are private and disceet about your private life like everyone should be, you will have no real problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I know two lads that are openly gay. They don't have any real problems or havn't encountered major issues. Just the same as a gay man in any working environment (albeit one with a high degree of machoistic types). But in saying that you'd be a lot worse off if your were a ginger...your not a ginger are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I know two lads that are openly gay. They don't have any real problems or havn't encountered major issues. Just the same as a gay man in any working environment (albeit one with a high degree of machoistic types). But in saying that you'd be a lot worse off if your were a ginger...your not a ginger are you?

Actually thats a good point, I'd be far more worried of being ginger in the army then being gay in army :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

A friend of mine who is gay was in the army and he said he never got as much cock as he did than when he was in the army. You'll love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

BigDuffman wrote: »
    oglaigh wrote: »
    Actually thats a good point, I'd be far more worried of being ginger in the army then being gay in army :D

Lucian Fluffy Tambourine in 3, 2, ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

If you are ready and willing to give the country a blank check to be drawn to the value of your life then I don't care a hoot if you are a tri-sexual necrophiliac dwarf amputee, although I'm wavering a little over the possession of ginger hair.

On second thoughts, naw...go fer it!

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Makikomi in 3, 2, ...

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

JoshGold wrote: »

As long as you realise that your comrades are not a source of potential lovers, it's not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

As long as you realise that your comrades are not a source of potential lovers, it's not a problem.

You make it sound like being gay makes you a predator!.

I doubt the Defence Forces discriminates against gay relationships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Like they said, keep it discrete and no one will give a ****.The DF has enough problems dealing with it's population of erratic heterosexuals,ie, alcos, thieves,etc,etc without worrying about gays camping it up.If you make a big deal of it, it could be used as a stick to beat you with(literally and figuratively).
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭housemap

Are the comments regarding gingers just joking or do they really have a hard time in the army ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭easynote

Some people (homophobics) will have some problems with sharing sleeping quarters and showers etc. with you. I know someone who is homophobic, and it seems like it is actually a real fear of homosexuals, not prejudice, in this person -as he is actually quite openminded and liberal in all other aspects. I don't really understand it but it must be something psychologically wrong- as any other irrational phobia. If someone has a problem with you being gay, realise that they are the one having the problem. Feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

housemap wrote: »
    Are the comments regarding gingers just joking or do they really have a hard time in the army ?

Ahhh... yeah its no joke mate.

Gay AND Ginger!!!! Fancy the odds of that.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bleedinrapidbud

oglaigh wrote: »
    I know a fella from my area and he's gay and he told me theres more gay fellas in the army than any other job and when i asked him for names he said he couldnt tell me cause most of them are married and have children ha ha funniest conversation i ever had!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bleedinrapidbud

housemap wrote: »
    ha ha yeah they get a hard time gingers,D4 accents,and if ya do somethin really stupid it will follow ya around for life ha ha its great craic though!!!!

Advertisement