Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English springer Spaniel

Options
  • 06-09-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm researching at the moment and looking to get an English Springer in the new year or possibly before that. I was looking to get some advice from resident Springer owners if possible. We're a doggy house hold and at present we've a boxer, a jacker and a wee mut, the latter two rescue dogs. The wee mut is on her last legs as cancer is slowing her down.

Any springer owners out there with any advice?
    I'm an out door person so I reckon that's a good start :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

They are a ball of energy, love long walks and as much muddy smelly water that you can find. They are a very loyal dog and great around kids, very placid. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your new dog as i have had out of mine.I have a pup that is six months old if you walk out of the room for a minute and come back in it is like you have been away for hours along with the random running into the room and jumping up on you to cover you in licks. A great choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I have two almost-Springers :D They're lovely dogs, really gentle nature and very happy personalities. Just be aware that their reputation for being nuts is well-deserved. As the last poster said, they need long walks every day or they go completely loopy. They also appreciate cuddles, lots of them, and yeah, the muckier the better as far as they're concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Thanks folks for the replies. It tallies pretty much with what the rest of the internet says about these little guys. They seem like a real challenge with plenty of rewards in terms of loyality and affection. It seems the only down side is if they don't get the exercise or challenges they need they can become destructive and/or bored and get barky but I'm sure I have that angle covered. There'll be plenty of mountain walks available for it :)

Next challenge now is to find a reputible breeder, after dogs trust of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

They're great dogs, I had one for 14 years. :) He had the sweetest personality ever, but was really crazy! He eventually calmed down when he got a bit old. We had him since we were kids and even though he was hyper, he'd never hurt any of us and was really good with our small dogs and kittens too. He never showed any aggression at all in the slightest. And every springer I've met has been the same. :)

Thought I'd share this lad I came across on youtube. I'm starting to think the new year is too far away :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPKmU76a-Kc&feature=watch_response

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Had one when I was younger and definitely agree with the other posts, fantastic dogs if bordering on the insane and great with kids - our guy effectively became the neighbourhood dog. The only caveat I'd give is the crave attention but I think as you already have 2 dogs it might be less of an issue.

Not sure if you're looking for a pedigree but know somebody who had a Springer - Border Collie cross and it was an amazing dog, all the affection of the Springer with the intelligence of a Collie, would definitely be something I will be considering in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have a fab Springer, who is nearly 8. We have only had him a year so he does have his issues. I agree with all the other posters about their energy levels. He's nearly 8 and is as livey on walks as my Jacks :D

Couple of things I have come across with him and other springers. They like to walk while pooing, and seem to suffer a lot with excitable colitis (sp) this means we can need up to 8 poo bags during a long walk, a lot of dogs also don't cock their legs when weeing (no idea why).

He is very easy to train (in most things ) even though he is an older dog.
    They are incredibly loyal but do seem to be a 1 person dog. As much as he loves everyone I am the only one he is interested in :rolleyes:

They are a brilliant dog and will give you hours and hours of fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Springers probably do have plenty of energy and are excitable to a degree, but I'm not sure if it's any more than other breeds. Trained they are extremely controllable, most trained spaniels will hup on command at distance, recall perfectly and retrieve all day. They're used for hunting so they need to be calm around guns etc.

My 2 year old will run and retrieve until he's wrecked in the morning, but he'll also snuggle calmly and relaxed on the sofa and watch TV for hours in the evening.

Given normal dog discipline and training they make great pets, the only thing they don't seem at all good at is guarding anything, mine would probably guide an intruder to the valuables rather than bark at them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

pH wrote: »
    Given normal dog discipline and training they make great pets, the only thing they don't seem at all good at is guarding anything, mine would probably guide an intruder to the valuables rather than bark at them ;)

Have to disagree with that, I had 2 for for over 15 years and heaven forbid if someone came into the yard, they would never go to attack them but by god did they bark, and the pup I have now is turning out the same, dare anyone walk into the house that he does not know, he has a fine healthy set of lungs :D

That seems to be general jist of their guarding ability according to other sites, they have a healthy set of lungs when it comes to strangers. However if you were to translate their barks it would probably sound something like - " OMG! OMG! A stranger!, I hope you have something for me to retrieve, HURRY ON IN" !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Couple of things I have come across with him and other springers. They like to walk while pooing, and seem to suffer a lot with excitable colitis (sp) this means we can need up to 8 poo bags during a long walk, a lot of dogs also don't cock their legs when weeing (no idea why).
    Interesting, I always thought that was just my two! One poos in at least 6 different places, the other almost never cocks his leg!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

that's good to know about the cocking of the leg - was nearly going to go after him some time soon and lift if for him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My Dougal never cocked his leg once until he was nearly 4. Then all of a sudden he just did and he seemed to love it and would cock everywhere really excitedly. My Toby loves to cock and even cocks for poos, which is a little awkward as he only has one front leg. Yet he still insists does on walking, while pooing, with one front leg missing and one back leg in the air.:rolleyes:

Is that them in your avatar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

iguana wrote: »
    My Dougal never cocked his leg once until he was nearly 4. Then all of a sudden he just did and he seemed to love it and would cock everywhere really excitedly.

Yeah my guy is nearly 8 and he has now started to cock his leg sometimes but it does seem to be something springers don't do like other breeds ???:p

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

i've kept and bred springs since i was tweleve. as long as they get plenty of exercise they are a great pet. i work all mine but they also make great pets,great with kids etc..can be decent guard dogs too,although some are awful guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

yomchi wrote: »
    Is that them in your avatar?

Yup, they are wrapped in their towels after a wet walk. They think it's the biggest indignity possible.

Super!

Advertisement