Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling in circular holes in ceiling

• 06-09-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

Is there any simple way of filling these in so that it looks like the holes were never there? We've replaced the spot lights on the ceiling with one main light.

Many thanks,

William

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you dont have the original cut ones, get a piece of slab, and cut again with the same size wholesaw. Then but a bit of a timber baton up though the hole, a screw each side, and one to hold up the circular piece you just cut. It will be very hard to get it 100% perfect without some sort of blemish in the plaster. If you haven't got coving, and the room isnt big, you could just put plaster slabs ontop. Bigger job, but only way to get it 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Davy wrote: »
    If you dont have the original cut ones, get a piece of slab, and cut again with the same size wholesaw. Then but a bit of a timber baton up though the hole, a screw each side, and one to hold up the circular piece you just cut. It will be very hard to get it 100% perfect without some sort of blemish in the plaster. If you haven't got coving, and the room isnt big, you could just put plaster slabs ontop. Bigger job, but only way to get it 100%

+1. You will need to put in a piece of plasterboard into the holes with a piece of timber above it and screw all in. Then fill and sand and fill and sand and fill and paint. It'll never be 100% but to the eye as a quick glance it'll look fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Do as they say above, then fill with "profin" and sand if needed, you should be able to get it fairly good. I

I'm quite surprised how good you can get these type of repairs with profin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

My initial thought was a pice of cardboard, some string and some polyfilla.

Cut the cardboard to slightly larger than the hole.
    Punch a small hole through the centre of the cardboard and feed the string through, Tie a large knot on one side so that you can pull the string back towards you but not out of the cardboard.
    Fold the cardboard and put it through your hole.
    Then pulling gently on the string, you have something to apply the polyfilla to.

Build the pollyfilla up in layers allowing the previous layer to dry before starting on the next.
    About 3 layers in you should be able to cut the string and get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Davy wrote: »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have some plasterboard and so can go with Davy's (and Fingers and Dublins) suggestion. I don't fully understand what to do with the screws on each side of the batton though - do I screw the circle cut to the baton and then screw the baton to the original ceiling? which sides do I screw into?

Much appreciated..... not my line of business obviously....

• Advertisement

Cut a short length, roughly 7 or 8 inches (you wont get much bigger into it) then one screw each side of the whole, into the timber through the plasterboard. This holds the timber in place. Then you can screw you newly cut circle into this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

do yourself a favor. Cut the circle into a square. save 20 min and the search for a hole saw. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

Good suggestions from all of the above, my point would be for using the right joint filler. I have always used "sheet Rock" joint compound.
    You can make the hole disappear and you would never know that there was one there, ever. Great smooth finish with some gentle sanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    My initial thought was a pice of cardboard, some string and some polyfilla.

Cut the cardboard to slightly larger than the hole.
    Punch a small hole through the centre of the cardboard and feed the string through, Tie a large knot on one side so that you can pull the string back towards you but not out of the cardboard.
    Fold the cardboard and put it through your hole.
    Then pulling gently on the string, you have something to apply the polyfilla to.

Build the pollyfilla up in layers allowing the previous layer to dry before starting on the next.
    About 3 layers in you should be able to cut the string and get rid of it.

Exactly what I was going to say! I actually did that when I had large holes left in cavity walls after taking rads out. It worked perfectly. The only difference was I put some adhesive on the face of the card and held it in place with a piece of stick on the outside till the glue set.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I wouldn't use the cardboard to be honest, especially in the ceiling, there is a good chance that over time the filler will crack and maybe even drop out of the ceiling. Use plasterboard with a baton and do the job properly. If you fill carefully and sand down with fine paper you should be able to get this VERY close to the original ceiling.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I usually fill it with plaster and then use a Stanley wood rasp to finish the levels off. Then sand.

Many thanks for this. Think I have enough to go with now. Will be busy over the weekend. :)

Let us know how you get on :pac:

Will do

Hi all,

I went looking for a tub of both Profin or Sheet Rock joint filler this weekend. Couldn'd find either. What stores would stock them in Dublin (North)?

Thanks,

William

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

william wrote: »
    Hi all,

I went looking for a tub of both Profin or Sheet Rock joint filler this weekend. Couldn'd find either. What stores would stock them in Dublin (North)?

Thanks,

William

Chadiwicks Builders Providers and Newtown Building Supplies,both in Coolock Ind Estste(in behind Woodies).

Grange Building Supplies in Baldoyle Ind Estate.

Heaton Buckley Builders Providers up in Santry,opposite Santry Stadium.

Brooks Builders Providers,just off Junction 5 M1 Motorway,Baldriggan exit.

Any of them will have it.:)

Thanks Paddy

William

Advertisement