Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie is all about money and squeaky clean

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Yup. I'm known for doing as I'm told. I lack any kind of formed opinion and am very pliable.
    Bendy. The word is Bendy.
    :D
    /cheeses it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yup. I'm known for doing as I'm told. I lack any kind of formed opinion and am very pliable.

Your's meekly....
    B
    Wait ... you're a woman?! :eek:

Sparks, I know a good bunker, you bring the rifles!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sparks wrote: »
    No, you didn't. You used punch cards. Quit making **** up.

I wanted to be a comptometor operator when I was 16, but my dad said there was no future in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

looksee wrote: »
    I wanted to be a comptometor operator when I was 16, but my dad said there was no future in it.

Wise man ... shur computers will be the ruination of us all ... t'Internet will never catch on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

"Its not what it used to be".. "them good ol days".

You will find that the "good ol days" in what ever context you choose to place it, werent actually that good.

Its your perception that has changed.

Boards in my opinion isnt a money making machine, id assume it is trying to make a profit of some sort, it it does and it makes the owner/s very rich.. that a good thing for them. Profit to me is not a dirty word.

Its in the interest of the site that it makes a profit, otherwise the owners tend to get tired of been chained to a labour of love... with all the risks and hassles associated with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ne'er truer words said. Well put snyper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Can i post lolcats yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ah the good old days...

pfffft they even have the internet on computers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My fave Merc_Tilt re-reg Feedback thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055321400

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Your's meekly....
    B

I told you not to say that!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I love when boards is used to decry the lack of ability to decry things on boards.

Theres something wonderfully symmetric about it.

Oh and lol at the idea of telling the current admins what to do.... yeah, thats gonna fly.... :rolleyes:

We dont make profit at the moment, we'd like to and we're close but we still make a small loss. We employ 5.5 people now though, so that might have something to do with it.

If we didnt make money to pay people like conor and ross... you wouldnt have a site to complain about us making money. Oops.... theres that symmetry again.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

5.5 people?
    Is that a typo, or do you have a recession stricken leprechaun in the office for entertainment value?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Terry wrote: »
    5.5 people?
    Is that a typo, or do you have a recession stricken leprechaun in the office for entertainment value?

Ross is only half the man he used to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tom Dunne wrote:
    Ross is only half the man he used to be.
    There's a shadow hanging over me, yesterday came suddenly... There's a song in that. :D
    snyper wrote: »
    Profit to me is not a dirty word.
    This. Nothing wrong with making a profit. The days of the community server under the bed are well and truly passed. As is the old demographic that used such sites. At least with regard to large sites publishing rich content on many subjects like Boards. I would even go so far as to say the more profit the better in the majority of cases. It means more professionalism, less of the cliquey stuff, more content, more value added, a more stable platform or at least it should. With too many it doesnt sadly.

In the case of Boards management from what I've seen that's their aim. The proof of the pudding is there for all to eat too. They could certainly have added more advertising, more tie ins with other companies that could have influenced the direction of the site. I'm pretty sure others have suggested that too, but time and time again they haven't. They could have avoided upgrading systems but they didnt, indeed ploughed more money and time and effort at that. Basically they could have done what the majority of Irish companies in their position would have done, but they didnt and that has surprised me. I make no apology for the Irish example either. For most of the history of this state in all arms of media that's precisely what has gone on and few have stood up and said "this isnt on". Even fewer have said "this isnt on and here's how it could be done"*. So Boards could have walked the same well trodden path and so long as they hit critical mass they would have gotten away with it.

Can there be further improvements? Of course. Stagnate or die, but again I've seen improvements, from the Management(tm) and from users/mods feedback to management from when I started on here and that's not that long ago.

*In feedback or wherever you see it. Actual issue arises. A few will complain, but with little by way of solution. Then it gets personal on both sides and lines are drawn and heels dug in. Very few will point out an issue and offer suggestions to improve matters. For me anyway those I'll read and think on it, even if I fundamentally disagree with them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's a shadow hanging over me, yesterday came suddenly... There's a song in that. :D
    Feck off with your hippy music.
    Here's a great song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1DdO3SISg&ob=av3n (embedding disabled, but not really needed anyway).
    This. Nothing wrong with making a profit. The days of the community server under the bed are well and truly passed. As is the old demographic that used such sites. At least with regard to large sites publishing rich content on many subjects like Boards. I would even go so far as to say the more profit the better in the majority of cases. It means more professionalism, less of the cliquey stuff, more content, more value added, a more stable platform or at least it should. With too many it doesnt sadly.

I have a gripe with a certain decision made by the Admins.
    I spoke to them about it.
    They gave me a very reasonable response as to why this decision was made.

I'm not happy with the decision, but I can see why they made it.
    Because of this decision, I decided to take some time away from boards (with the exception of checking reported posts in my inbox and acting on them if action was needed).

I'm quite aware that I was at fault. However, I'm also quite aware that boards has changed, and that I can no longer act in the way I once did.
    I don't like that I can no longer act in that manner, but I accept that boards is not the place it once was.

Despite my dislike of cliques, I was once a member of the mod clique. I did some things that should not have been done. Yeah, some were amusing, but some were degrading to those on the receiving end of my foolishness.
    The professionalism of the new face of boards has all but put a stop to this type of foolishness and an end to mod cliques.

There is some lingering clique-like behaviour between some member and the Admin (no, I'm not going to say anything in public, but I am willing to discuss this via PM with any Admin, should they wish to question me), but this is very rare now.

I welcome the new professional aspect. Yes, I've been put out, but I can see that it is for the betterment of the site.
    The site does not revolve around one single member, nor does it tilt towards what they want from boards.

In the 6 years that I've been a member here, I've seen massive changes as to how boards is run. It has gone from a site with a couple of hundred generalised forums to one with over 1,000 forums catering to a wide variety of interests.
    It's a site started by two people who met through their love of a game, which has evolved into a place with 150,000 active members who all have something interesting to share with people who have similar interests.

What I'm basically getting at here is, Merc, if you dislike boards so much, why are you so sad as to keep coming back with account after account after account, just to complain about how crap boards is?

Yes, it does have its flaws, but, because of the constrictive nature of Irish law with regards to what can and cannot be published, it's far better than anything we will ever get from tv and print media in this country.

Nobody here likes the limitations set by the legislators of this country. All we can do is try to have a legislative change with regards the self serving libel laws of the land.

I've made an attempt. Have you?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

5.5 people?
    yes. me.

DeV.

Ross, Conor, Darragh and Dav. Well look at the ego on you, Mr. 1.5 people.

It's quite obvious that I don't know who the 5th employee is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

It's quite obvious that I don't know who the 5th employee is.

Suppose I gave you a really big, like man-mountain sized clue ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

trout wrote: »
    Suppose I gave you a really big, like man-mountain sized clue ?
    That would be smashing!

Sorry, we have me for a 0.5 and Paul Kenny for 1.0. Paul is our liason with Daft and basically keeps the show on the road day to day and makes sure people get paid and accounts get done and what have you. He doesnt want to manage the community so that falls to me, I dont want to handle accounts and payroll so it works out well... he's in there full time and I work from home and kinda on my own time as the job kinda requires that. (its friday evening I'll point out :) )

But lol and the idea that I would be 1.5 worth of employee.... if it was up to me, I'd fire them all and spend it all on icecream. mmmmmicecream.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

DeVore wrote: »
    if it was up to me, I'd fire them all and spend it all on icecream. mmmmmicecream.

And that's why they hire someone for the accounts, folks.

Dammit, more details needed. Pecan or vanilla? Mauds or Haagen-Dazs?

Sparks wrote: »
    Dammit, more details needed. Pecan or vanilla? Mauds or Haagen-Dazs?

It has to be cookie dough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't believe www.cook.ie isn't registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

finally this thread gets interesting.

I'm all about freaky foots myself, but will settle for an old golly bar.

I've developed an affinity for Loop-the-Loops recently.

Not sure why.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Right.
    lol-cat-invisible-corn-cob.jpg

I'm not wrong am I?

I'm not wrong am I?

No, Dr. B, you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Give me a 14.4k modem over broadband any day. You could tell by the sound of the modem what your parity bit was set to.

Modem? Sheer luxury.

In my day we had to communicate by typing out stacks of punch-cards in duodecimal base-12 BCDIC...only hippies and those with dubious personal-hygene used ASCII.

• Advertisement

I can't believe www.cook.ie isn't registered.

It is, has been for quite a few months at least.

Advertisement