Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future as a doctor...

Options
  • 06-09-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm a med student scraping through the years in college. My two sisters are doctors and I see them work crazy everyday, it makes me very worried about my future. The HSC has become a complete joke since I got into med school.

My plan was to become a doctor, get a bit of training and then go around the world working in different places. One of the things I wanna do is to go to Africa and work there for a few years in some relief camp or something as such.

And so i'ld like to know what's in the future for me as a doctor. How can I be able to do the things I wanna do like going to Africa and other impoverished places and work there as a doctor while getting proper training so that if I wanna come back and work here or somewhere i'ld get work... I don't wanna wait another 10 or so years after I graduate in training before I can finally get to do what I wanna do and get on with my life...

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Don't go to Africa to get training. These people need help from competent people. That's why most charities will only take you after you've a few years under your belt and can work relatively independently.

I think all docs who can should go and help those who are a lot less fortunate than we are. Don't let the training situation put you off. Just do it.

If you're happy enough to trek around Africa, then you can always send a few years in oz or NZ getting your training sorted afterwards if there's no opportunities back in Ireland.

Advertisement