Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Test Question

Options
  • 06-09-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

If you have an electrical circuit and there is a fault on in and you have no idea what it is, What tests can you use to find this fault?

What I am trying to ask ..... Are there a set of rules to follow??

NoseyMike2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Off the top of my head I would say, and probably do just a process of elimination as much as I could...

Could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

As the other poster said, process of elimination.
    Whats wrong? Lamp not lit, check lamp, check voltage to lamp, verify switch, check fusing device....
    Need to ask your self whats wrong and why. Then check the system. They're numerous ways to approach troubleshooting, but never just jump in. Check for the obvious first, visual inspection, loose connections, switch not turned on and the like.
    Then check for voltage, if missing why? Continunity check of cable, Fusing or switching devices not functioning.
    Then check functionality of device, ie a motor, ohm out the windings and do an insulation test.
    You get the idea.....Take your time and never rush also never think oh it's something I've seen before it might be but then again it could have a smiliar issue but be a different fault.
    Patience and time...comes knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Again another vague sweeping question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement