Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 €45.45

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks Vertakill.

I kind of phrased it wrong. I meant to type does this upgrade disc include both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Professional? If not, can I buy the 64 bit W7 Pro upgrade licence for €45 and do a clean install of 64 bit W7 Pro even though I only have a licence for 32 bit Vista Ultimate.
    Vertakill wrote: »
    You won't be able to upgrade though from Vista 32 to Win7 64.
    If you format and do a full install (as in, boot up off the DVD), Windows 7 64bit will install fine.

However, bear in mind that the 'Ultimate' version is not €45, only Professional is.

Ultimate comes in at €117.45 on that site.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, these 'updates' can be used to boot up from the DVD and do a full install without issue (or for just activating a current trial or, I'd assume, non-legit version).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Nephew wrote: »
    can I buy the 64 bit W7 Pro upgrade licence for €45 and do a clean install of 64 bit W7 Pro even though I only have a licence for 32 bit Vista Ultimate.

Yes. Your licence for 32 bit Vista Ultimate is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I got this and installed last night and had my machine connected to my router as I thought I might be asked to activate at some time and it's after doing something to my router. Cannot access internet from any of my machines now :(

I'm putting it down to something I did and have to say the full install was very quick. Now just to get all my machines back online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Going to buy this today, just a quick question though.
    My OS (vista 32) is on the C: drive on the pc and almost all of my media other programs are on a seperate D: drive in the pc.

If I do a full install, the programs and media on the D: drive will be left intact?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Going to buy this today, just a quick question though.
    My OS (vista 32) is on the C: drive on the pc and almost all of my media other programs are on a seperate D: drive in the pc.

If I do a full install, the programs and media on the D: drive will be left intact?

Cheers

Provided C: and D: are actually 2 different HDD's, you'll be able to do format/install on C: without interfering with D:.

If, however, they're 1 HDD split into 2 partitions, then yes, you'll erase everything on both C: and D:.

For everyone else, bear in mind these are 'Upgrade' disks so, the installer expects to see a windows folder somewhere on any of your HDD's before it installs.

There's a couple workarounds for it that are very, very easy to do if you happen to find yourself in a situation where it says your CD key is invalid.

The easiest one takes place during the installation process and it involves you not putting in your product key during the initial installation and that's the one I'd recommend. You then put the product key in once you're inside windows and everything works grand.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/27/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Provided C: and D: are actually 2 different HDD's, you'll be able to do format/install on C: without interfering with D:.
    This is true, with the caveat outlined below.
    If, however, they're 1 HDD split into 2 partitions, then yes, you'll erase everything on both C: and D:.
    This not so much. I went from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Vista and the other partitions on the hard drive were left intact. However, programs installed on D may no longer function if they were installed with dependencies on the registry in Vista. This would also be applicable if 2 separate drives were used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

For everyone else, bear in mind these are 'Upgrade' disks so, the installer expects to see a windows folder somewhere on any of your HDD's before it installs.

There's a couple workarounds for it that are very, very easy to do if you happen to find yourself in a situation where it says your CD key is invalid.

The easiest one takes place during the installation process and it involves you not putting in your product key during the initial installation and that's the one I'd recommend. You then put the product key in once you're inside windows and everything works grand.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/27/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Complete rubbish.

Your OS will be installed on a partition, which can be 1 drive divided into 10 partitions if that's what floats your boat.

In fact, your drive must be partitioned BEFORE windows is installed anyway (if you wish to partition, and the windows DVD will do this for you should you wish).

If your drive is already partitioned with an OS on 1 partition, when you boot form the windows media, it will see both partitions, and you can install to whatever partition you like.

Also, as has already been stated numerous times, you can do a clean install with the 'upgrade' disks no problem. Its the exact same software as the 'full' licence disks, its merely the content of the licence that is different, NOT the software.

Windows 'upgrade' disks have been full versions of the software since Vista. (maybe even before, can't remember)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Thanks for the info folks, I've two seperate drive in my pc. I'll ensure that I back up all programs on all drives, just to be safe. I can reinstall everything later.

I'll leave the media, music & movies etc on the d: drive.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

i have a new laptop. software trial is over. just wondering if I buy this is it just a matter of inputting a new product key when I buy it or do I need to totally uninstall and reinstall the windows package?

Thanks.

i have a new laptop. software trial is over. just wondering if I buy this is it just a matter of inputting a new product key when I buy it or do I need to totally uninstall and reinstall the windows package?

Thanks.

Did your new laptop not come with Windows?? :confused::confused:

Is there no Windows key on a sticker on the laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Thanks.

Sounds like you're referring to microsoft office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

sorry i meant microsoft office. it came with windows alright but the office package was only a trial version so it is now looking for a product key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

sorry i meant microsoft office. it came with windows alright but the office package was only a trial version so it is now looking for a product key.

Check this, if you're a student or have kids who are...
    http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Office_2010_Professional_Plus-details.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Different versions of Windows 7/Windows XP/Visual Studio and lots more are free if you are a 3rd level computing student, from MSDN Academic Alliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I

foxerv1 wrote: »
    I

I agree.

I agree.

Stupid iPhone died before I could finish posting......

What I meant to say was I got a similar package through herself's lit software facility, a W7 Ultimate upgrade, and I can confirm it worked fir a full fresh install, so I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

On another note mine only cost me a tenner so if anyone in lit hasn't already done it I can tell you how :)

For everyone else this is a cracking deal and im tempted to pick it up myself. Does it genuinely work even if your not a student?

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Does it genuinely work even if your not a student?

Well, you have to declare that you're a student or the parent / guardian of a student. Haven't heard of them knocking on anyone's door looking for proof though.

Well, you have to declare that you're a student or the parent / guardian of a student. Haven't heard of them knocking on anyone's door looking for proof though.

Cool, il give it a shot later :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

I have ordered a laptop from Dell,and I should be receiving it in the next few days.
    The unit I am getting has Windows7 Home premium pre installed and it will be used by my daughter (student), as well as the rest of the family.
    I want to upgrade to Windows7 Professional to take advantage of this great deal.
    If I purchase this upgrade will I just have to enter the product license code via the Windows upgrade software that comes pre installed with Windows7 premium on my laptop to upgrade to Windows7 Professional,or will I still have to download and burn the software to media to get the upgrade installed.
    Also will it state in the upgraded OS this license is issued to my daughter or will it be free from any such name or such restrictions.
    Also is there a time limit on the use of this software,or is this license for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can just activate anytime upgrade from the start menu with the key, I think.

The only place with a name is the user settings and you can have multiple users.

I don't know about the legal expiration time, but it won't deactivate itself or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kind of a waste of money unless you really need the features of professional though...
    Home premium will be perfect for the majority of users unless you want to connect to a domain...

tman wrote: »
    Kind of a waste of money unless you really need the features of professional though...
    Home premium will be perfect for the majority of users unless you want to connect to a domain...

I will need it to connect to my work domain via citrex server.

THANKS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I will need it to connect to my work domain via citrex server.

THANKS.

You are some idiot (Also read your thread about amazon pin ,You need someone to look after you !) Citrix Xenapp or XenDesktop does not require the client os to connect to the domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Infraction issued to galait for personal abuse..

.. cop on!

• Advertisement

galait wrote: »
    You are some idiot (Also read your thread about amazon pin ,You need someone to look after you !) Citrix Xenapp or XenDesktop does not require the client os to connect to the domain.
    I certainly do not need anyone to look after me,I have been around a long time,my post today about Amazon was a genuine post to get feedback from other members of this forum.
    Some idiot,your the idiot:D

Citrix Xenapp or XenDesktop does not require the client os to connect to the domain.GOOD TO KNOW !!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I certainly do not need anyone to look after me,I have been around a long time,my post today about Amazon was a genuine post to get feedback from other members of this forum.
    Some idiot,your the idiot:D

Citrix Xenapp or XenDesktop does not require the client os to connect to the domain.GOOD TO KNOW !!!!!!!!!

Believe me you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Off with his head. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Thanks to the OP for the link-I have ordered it. Quick question if you don't mind-with Vista can I just throw the disc in and run the upgrade or do I have to backup/format the C:? :-)

Many thanks!

cianr wrote: »
    Thanks to the OP for the link-I have ordered it. Quick question if you don't mind-with Vista can I just throw the disc in and run the upgrade or do I have to backup/format the C:? :-)

Many thanks!

If you have 32bit Vista, you can only 'upgrade' to Win 7 32bit. You'll have to format/reinstall to put x64 on.

If however you have 64bit Vista, you should be good to go for 64bit Win 7.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement

If you have 32bit Vista, you can only 'upgrade' to Win 7 32bit. You'll have to format/reinstall to put x64 on.

If however you have 64bit Vista, you should be good to go for 64bit Win 7.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the reply DG. I have 32bit Vista installed and bought the 32bit version of Win 7 - so I can just throw in the cd and forget about it? Or would I have to back up everything on the C:?

Many thanks for the help!

cianr wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply DG. I have 32bit Vista installed and bought the 32bit version of Win 7 - so I can just throw in the cd and forget about it? Or would I have to back up everything on the C:?

Many thanks for the help!

If you have important data that you need to keep, I would always advise you back up, just in case anything goes wrong.

However, I'd be confident that you'd be fine. If you were upgrading from XP, you'd have to do a full wipe, but with Vista you can 'upgrade'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Don't forget if your a student Windows server 2008 R2 - is free.

server 2008 r2 is basically the same as windows 7 except its designed as a server/workstation. With a few tweaks its the exact same as 7 with no features missing.

Free for students through the www.dreamspark.com website.

Its authenticated through you college email, only takes about 10 minutes to get an account and the licence key from microsoft. Downloading the iso could take a bit longer.

Only caveat about this method is that server 2008 r2 is 64 bit only.

If you have important data that you need to keep, I would always advise you back up, just in case anything goes wrong.

However, I'd be confident that you'd be fine. If you were upgrading from XP, you'd have to do a full wipe, but with Vista you can 'upgrade'.

That's great DG, many thanks again. Looking fwd to upgrading to a shiny new OS when I get back next week! (Sad, I know!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

landyman wrote: »
    Don't forget if you are not a student then Windows server 2008 is free for 240 days.

Trial version
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=13C7300E-935C-415A-A79C-538E933D5424&displaylang=en
    If you need more time to evaluate Windows Server 2008, the 60 day evaluation period may be reset (or re-armed) three times, extending the original 60 day evaluation period by up to 180 days for a total possible evaluation time of 240 days. After this time, you will need to uninstall the software or upgrade to a fully-licensed version of Windows Server 2008.

How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948472

google windows 2008 workstation for tips on how to get more bells and whistles for it

usual tip of partioning your drive so windows goes on C: and your data goes on D: for when you have to do a clean install in 240 days time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

server 2008 r2 is basically the same as windows 7 except its designed as a server/workstation. With a few tweaks its the exact same as 7 with no features missing.

Free for students through the www.dreamspark.com website.

Its authenticated through you college email, only takes about 10 minutes to get an account and the licence key from microsoft. Downloading the iso could take a bit longer.

Only caveat about this method is that server 2008 r2 is 64 bit only.

Is there any important differences between Win 7 and server 2008?

Kevin! wrote: »
    Is there any important differences between Win 7 and server 2008?

It requires a little config to get going

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/converting-free-windows-7-server-into-a-workstation/444308?tag=photo-frame;get-photo-roto

Apart from that, remember its 64bit only so it wont work on the earlier atom netbooks or some of the older pentiums..

Once its set up to a "workstation" level with all the areo bells and whistles going, I can't tell the difference between it a win 7.

And best of all its FREE :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/converting-free-windows-7-server-into-a-workstation/444308?tag=photo-frame;get-photo-roto

Apart from that, remember its 64bit only so it wont work on the earlier atom netbooks or some of the older pentiums..

Once its set up to a "workstation" level with all the areo bells and whistles going, I can't tell the difference between it a win 7.

so it's 64-bit only? Does that mean it will work ok with my 32-bit Core 2 Duo 6420?

AFAIK, all core 2 duos are 64-bit. Not the case with the older core duo. The only mainstream modern processors that are not 64-bit are the earlier atoms.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29755
    64-bit

Monotype wrote: »
    AFAIK, all core 2 duos are 64-bit. Not the case with the older core duo. The only mainstream modern processors that are not 64-bit are the earlier atoms.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29755
    64-bit

you're correct, i'm an idiot.

answers my question so, Microsoft Server 2008 it is!

• Advertisement

Make sure its the R2 version based on 7, not the older 2008 version based off Vista :D

Make sure its the R2 version based on 7, not the older 2008 version based off Vista :D

cool, anyone had any issues running games or other general annoyances with Windows Server 2008? (this might be a question best suited to the Tech forum).

Only if you're a student :(

Wish I was still a student...

quarryman wrote: »
    cool, anyone had any issues running games or other general annoyances with Windows Server 2008? (this might be a question best suited to the Tech forum).

The only thing i havnt had working in Microsoft Security Essentials.

Apart from that nothing

Stuff like fallout, crysis and call of duty ect all work :pac:

The only thing i havnt had working in Microsoft Security Essentials.:

Dammit, that was one I actually wouldn't mind having, best AV I've used in years.

quarryman wrote: »
    Dammit, that was one I actually wouldn't mind having, best AV I've used in years.

Yea i was a bit annoyed at that, Its targeted at home users so im not suprised it didnt work on 2008 R2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

It's been like that for a year. There's no hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

anyone know if this W7 is a "single build" only limit or can i reuse it on a different PC if im looking to upgrade some components?

• Advertisement

I think it counts it falls under the retail category. They might not give you full flexibility since you are supposed to be upgrading your windows from a previous version. It's definitely an end user product though.
    You're supposed to have windows already on your hard drive, so it depends on how much is being changed. You might have to think of some good excuses if you need to ring them up.

Advertisement