Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Build vs Buy opinion. ( trek 1.5 v Dolan build )

• 07-09-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey ,

I took a look around 4 shops in Dublin today looking at first road bikes. BTW programme and thinking of a trek 1.5 or something similar. So looking for some experienced opinion. Bike will be mainly for fitness , possibly used for work run next year.

SO long story short, one shop made an offer after i looked at the 1.5 . Offered to build a bike on a Dolan previssio frame , Mavic Aksium wheels , tiagra groupset. list price on the 1.5 was €1050. Build = €1000. His opinion was that the build would be a superior bike. Pointed out some details about the crank and headset on the trek that the Dolan and all tiagra improves on??

In case this bloke recognises the story on here I appreciated his help and he did make lots of sense. After reading up a little on the frame and wheels they seem decent for a starter.

Any pointers much appreciated

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

go for the dolan,

the wheels alone would swing it for me, they would be quite an upgrade compared to the bontrager wheels i think. secondly dolans are much less common and much sexier because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

The cost of the 1.5 seems expensive unless this is the 2011 version. I purchased the same bike for €899 during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

yea the 1.5 seams steep. i assume all the parts on the custom build will be brand new. Wheels are a massive upgrade. See if he has a prebuilt in store. Most bike shops will let you test bike out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Just to repeat what stmochtas says about the 1.5, I got mine at the start of June for 814 euro so 1050 seems very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Where did you get it for 814? Its 915 on Wheelworx

http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=1898

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 pa99

Thanks for the replies,

I guess the dolan would be more original so I'll have to think some more about it. he is going to prebuild so yeah , I'll get a spin on both before deciding.

They have no 2010s left so it is the 2011. Their line is that bike prices are taking a hike across the board.

The research continues:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pa99

Sorry ,

yes all new parts on the build as far as I know. To be honest that was just assumed during the chat I had. Will be cleared up next time i talk to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

pa99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,

I guess the dolan would be more original so I'll have to think some more about it. he is going to prebuild so yeah , I'll get a spin on both before deciding.

They have no 2010s left so it is the 2011. Their line is that bike prices are taking a hike across the board.

The research continues:confused:
    That is correct, a between 15 and 20ish% hike on all low to mid range bikes for 2011. High end will/may not be affected, unless its made far east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I built a Dolan Mythos for my girl friend custom paint job and mix of 105 and ultegra parts mavic wheels all for under 1200 euro, go for the dolan and get it exactly the way you want it, theres bargins to be had regards getting parts right now

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

levitronix wrote: »
    I built a Dolan Mythos for my girl friend custom paint job and mix of 105 and ultegra parts mavic wheels all for under 1200 euro, go for the dolan and get it exactly the way you want it, theres bargins to be had regards getting parts right now

I'm in same boat as OP, so will keep an eye out. think i should have jumped at the adverts.ie listed lapierre carbon with ultegra groupset for 900! been shopping around today...I was told in a LBS today that I wouldn't get a bike with 105 for less than 1500 and more likely towards 2k...I find that a bit off from what I'm checking online.

Where can I get a look at a Dolan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I saw a load in Wheelworx. Can't remember the models though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Or hollingsworthcycles in templeogue

Advertisement