Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Understanding EW Terms and Betfair....

• 07-09-2010 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭

Both confuse me help!:eek:

Seriously though, each way terms have always puzzled me, whats the difference between 1/4 1-2-3-4-5 and 1/2 1-2 for example?
    Especially when it comes to golf and sports betting

Betfair is something I really should know, but its something that has always perplexed me:o Not proud to admit that, what does laying mean in stupid man lingo?:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Rjd2 wrote: »

Seriously though, each way terms have always puzzled me, whats the difference between 1/4 1-2-3-4-5 and 1/2 1-2 for example?

1/4 means a quarter of the odds, and 1/2 means half.

EW bets are basically two bets, so €1 ew (that's €2 staked) means €1 on the win and €1 on the player/horse/etc... being placed so in the case of 1-2-3-4-5 being placed in the top 5. So if it wins, you get both bets won, if the bet is 2nd - 5th you get a quater of the odds, so if it's a 20/1 you get €1 by 5/1 so you win €6.

Ye that looks confusing, someone else might be able to explain better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Both confuse me help!:eek:

Betfair is something I really should know, but its something that has always perplexed me:o Not proud to admit that, what does laying mean in stupid man lingo?:o

Basically, each-way bets are two bets. One for the win, and one for the place. €5 each way is €5 for the horse/golfer/whatever to win, and €5 for it to place. The "1/4 1-2-3-4-5 and 1/2 1-2" are the place terms.

1/4 1-2-3-4-5 means that the 'place' part of your bet will return at one quarter (1/4) of the 'win' odds. The 1-2-3-4-5 means that the 'place' bet extends only to the top five.
    Example: You bet on Tiger Woods for some golf competition. €5 each way at 10/1. Place terms 1/4, 1-2-3-4-5. He wins. You get €5 at 10/1 (€55 return) and €5 at 2.5/1 (€17.5 return). So total return is €72.50.

If he came in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th place, you'd just get the €17.50. If he came sixth, you lose.

So then 1/2, 1-2 means the place terms are half odds, for the first two places.

Laying means you're backing the selection NOT to win. So if you 'lay' Tiger Woods (perhaps I should use a different example there, considering how many people have seemingly laid him, and not in betting terms) you're betting that he won't win. Essentially, every time you place a regular bet with a bookie, the bookie is 'laying' that bet.

Sorry if I've made this overly-complicated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

What they said^^^^

:cool:

Advertisement