Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe Associate Certification, Are They Worthwhile For Webdesign

Options
  • 07-09-2010 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi, Im currently studying computer science and want to concentrate on the web development aspect of my course as that is the type of job id like pursue after I finish my degree. I want to brush up on my photoshop and flash skills as my course only briefly touches on flash and not at all on photoshop.

Ive read about the adobe associate certification for photoshop and flash so I was wondering are they useful ? (as I already know basic photoshop skills from a fetac course but would like to learn more relevant skills ) and if they are even recognized or taking seriously by employers?

Im hoping to learn photoshop/flash skills relevant to web design from doing the adobe associate certification and then build on them myself afterwards so im just wondering if its worthwhile doing them or does anybody have any tips for me in relation to photoshop/illustrator/flash as my course doesnt cover theses elements well enough for me to say on a cv that I am skilled in theses areas

Links for the ACA's

ACA Website

Dorset College Photoshop ACA

Dorset College Flash ACA

OR SCD Flash Course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

This is from someone now who isn't employing web designers but since you've got no advice thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Is it web development or design your into? Can be big differences between them. If learning Flash for websites then personally I'd say don't bother - this is for many reasons, biggest reason is I hate flash websites, I hate flash intros etc. No problems with Flash games though incase you're in any way inclined down that route.

I did product design for undergrad and had considered doing those Adobe certs to brush up on visuals but didn't bother after getting to know the deal with some employers in graphic/web field. I've been involved with some work for the institute of designers in ireland and the general mood I've seen is people don't give a rats ass about your certs. Bring them you're finest meats and cheeses (your portfolio) and that's what they'll decide to hire you on.

I've been to a few Guy Gowan Adobe seminars way back and personally the €100's you could fork out going to his stuff would be much better spent on an Adobe book (for nowhere near the cost) and putting in your own hard work. I can remember one seminar that I thought I learned some really cool things until a photographer friend asked me to show him what I'd be shown and his response was "is that it!? that's basic photo manipulation!" what took a half day seminar was basically creating an action to change the histogram and contrast on a folder full of photos - a book can show you that and won't take €100 off you.

Do you know you can now get Adobe software as a student in europe and use it commercially? They only brought that in now for CS5 so if you have a couple of hundred to spare it could be WELL worth the purchase and you could save a few grand - see here. My biggest problem was lack of access to the programmes, only had photoshop during undergrad and even though I've left the field I forked out for full design premium recently as a hobby and it makes a hell of a difference. The few hundred that you might be hesitant at paying out now could save you a fortune in the long run going to seminars and doing certificates to learn what's generally not difficult at all.

All in all, I'd say a book for the basics to get you not wasting time trying to find out how to put a drop shadow on something (think it took me a day or two of complete agro years and years ago to figure that out :rolleyes:) and then do some personal websites, local sports club needing one, a charity, church group etc. by doing the actual work you'll also learn what skills you need to know in photoshop/fireworks, you could be wasting your time learning some method that you'll never even need in the job.

Sorry for the long one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

worc wrote: »
    Is it web development or design your into? Can be big differences between them. If learning Flash for websites then personally I'd say don't bother - this is for many reasons, biggest reason is I hate flash websites, I hate flash intros etc. No problems with Flash games though incase you're in any way inclined down that route.

Flash is a super technology, but for streaming, animation, games and the like and not websites. worc's opinion reflects the general feeling to Flash being used for websites. It's rarely appropriate and often badly implemented. Do not bother.

worc wrote: »
    This is from someone now who isn't employing web designers but since you've got no advice thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

In a previous position I did employ web designers and can tell you certs do little to persuade me to employ someone. Too many web courses aren't great, use bad practices and/or are out-of-date due to the speed at which the technology moves forward. Someone who thrives on self-learning and has a good portfolio is of much higher value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

tricky D wrote: »
    Flash is a super technology, but for streaming, animation, games and the like and not websites. worc's opinion reflects the general feeling to Flash being used for websites. It's rarely appropriate and often badly implemented. Do not bother.

^^^^ +1,000

There is no excuse for having a website built in Flash, and thankfully Apple have done the industry a favour with the release of their no-Flash iPhone & iPad; people are finally starting to come around to this fact.

Aside from the loading time, etc (I personally close any site the second I see the "Loading....." or equivalent) the most ridiculous thing is reading the Flash template sites spout on about SEO as if it's possible.....and if you read it they're basically implementing a non-Flash version!!!!

Use it for complex interactions ( "applet style" ), adverts, multiple file upload (can't wait for a workaround for that) and media (although HTML5 will solve that last one) but don't go near it for websites.

Advertisement