Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blackpowder guns

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

hi guys im new to the furums so please be gentle lol anyway i was wondering what is the legality in this country on blckpowder/pyrodex firearms ,shooting i,ve looked at the small amount of legislation there is on shooting blackpowder and it seems to be a very grey area i know for a fact shooting rerroduction guns is very popular in england and the a lot of e,u countries why is it such a problem in ireland ?
    i ve spoken to gun dealers and have said to me that just not to bother going there what do you guys think?

I notice your location is listed as Sligo, I know there is a firearms dealer in co. Sligo (in the north of the county) who deals in BP firearms and so may be able to answer your questions as he deal day in day out with this type of gun.
    I don't think advertising is allowed so if you pm me I can forward his contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

thermo wrote: »
    I notice your location is listed as Sligo, I know there is a firearms dealer in co. Sligo (in the north of the county) who deals in BP firearms and so may be able to answer your questions as he deal day in day out with this type of gun.
    I don't think advertising is allowed so if you pm me I can forward his contact details.
    You're allowed say 'such and such a dealer has x product in stock'. There's a thread below this where a poster is looking for .222 ammo and a number of people have responded with the names of dealers.

So name away, it'll be useful info for anyone else interested in BP firearms.

rrpc wrote: »
    You're allowed say 'such and such a dealer has x product in stock'. There's a thread below this where a poster is looking for .222 ammo and a number of people have responded with the names of dealers.

So name away, it'll be useful info for anyone else interested in BP firearms.

its laurence thermes contact no 07191 76624.
    he stocks ww2 guns and muskets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SAKO_FTR

There is information on the DOJ's website re explosives
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Explosives General Guidance Notes - Explosives Legislation

It give lots of interesting reading on the subject but one thing it does do is give guidance on how to hold powder at home.
    Keeping and Storage of Explosives
    section (d)
    Keeping of Explosives for private use and not for sale
    Order in Council No 12 provides for a person to apply for a Garda Certificate (C49) that he is a fit person, to keep for private use, up to 10 lbs of an authorised explosive, for any industrial, agricultural, sporting or other special purpose, (as specified on the certificate). The certificate is valid for up to one year from date of issue.

You can apply for and hold up to 10lbs of powder (for sporting use) at home subject to conditions (which I have no idea what they would be)
    I believe this is how the current re-enactors hold powder at home for there sport / hobbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Does anybody here actually know a re-enactor to ask him how he does it?

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭blackpowder

Thanx for the information guys ,it seems its not impossible to shoot blakpowder or pyrodex in the republic just that it would be a good reason needed to hold these substances on your property say if you are a reincator it would be legitimite doe anyone know were you an actuley buy pyrodex or blapowder in the republic under special license or does one also need a import lincese say to order from the uk Thanx guys

[MOD]
    Converted to 'Sentence case'
    [/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

However, I'm sure that an Irish licensed explosives dealer would be able to obtain it on your behalf. Why not ask one? After you get the licence to hold the stuff, of course.

Just to give you all a heads up on this...I have been asking off a few people who make a living out of legally blowing things up about this point of importing BP/ propellants and storage of same for a liscensed individual in their secure storage or premises.
    Sofar one hasnt returned my call,another is intrigued by this and will get back to me once they look into it.Which proably means never..But we live in hope.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Just to give you all a heads up on this...I have been asking off a few people who make a living out of legally blowing things up about this point of importing BP/ propellants and storage of same for a liscensed individual in their secure storage or premises.
    Sofar one hasnt returned my call,another is intrigued by this and will get back to me once they look into it.Which proably means never..But we live in hope.

Chances are Grizzly, they dont want to put themselfs on DoJ/Gardai radar buy even asking about it :rolleyes: I work with a fireworks company from time to time. The boss stores all the stuff in NI until the day of the show, then drives it down to the gig. Puts alot of time and cost on any of the shows.

Here is one for you. Does every Uni and secondary school in the country have an explosives liscense? And what about factory labs? They all do have chemicals classed as explosives (only in this country) in there chem stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

chem wrote: »
    Chances are Grizzly, they dont want to put themselfs on DoJ/Gardai radar buy even asking about it :rolleyes: I work with a fireworks company from time to time. The boss stores all the stuff in NI until the day of the show, then drives it down to the gig. Puts alot of time and cost on any of the shows.

Thanks for that Chem.Saved me some phoning around,was going to be the next port of call.
    Here is one for you. Does every Uni and secondary school in the country have an explosives liscense? And what about factory labs? They all do have chemicals classed as explosives (only in this country) in there chem stores.

Got me on that one...:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SAKO_FTR

The information on the DOJ's website - General Guidance Notes - Explosives Legislation - gives guidance on how to store class 1 explosives from a Magazine store to Local Authority store to Registered premises but I can see nothing on a small amount, 10lbs of explosives and the requirements for storage at home.
    It says you can apply but it doesn't say how to store it.

In the UK you have to have a BP storage box (wooden manufacture) to the correct specification, may be that's what's required in Ireland?
    I don't know that for certain but it would seem a sensible storage requirement.

• Advertisement

its laurence thermes contact no 07191 76624.
    he stocks ww2 guns and muskets.
    tac foley wrote: »
    Does anybody here actually know a re-enactor to ask him how he does it?

tac

the guy mentioned above runs several re-enactor groupes nepolianic and such.

the guy mentioned above runs several re-enactor groupes nepolianic and such.

Thank you, Sir. :=)

So interested parties can ask HIS advice.

tac

Dear GGH - thanks for your reply - I was just wondering how you fellas in the RoI go about it, bearing in mind the restrictions placed on you by the Explosives Acts.

Here in Uk you simply need a shotgun licence [for a smooth-bore firearm] and the requisite two BP licnes - one to buy and one to transport. Plus, of course, the Home Office-approved storage container.

Oh, and registered membership of a re-enactment group of some kind.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 13,475 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Was it not mentioned on this board before that Pyrodex isn't classed as an explosive here? !0lbs of BP would go a long way if it was only being used as primer.

Advertisement