Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Is Expensive!

Options
  • 07-09-2010 4:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

So..can anyone tell me a cheap but reasonable area to live in? Doesnt have to be Dublin town centre, but within easy reach, on transport links inlcuding Nightlink, etc. I dont know Dublin that well havent been for years but will be staying for a few months later this year. By the way Ive been told *nooo, dont live in Rathmines!* as I was thinking about it. Well its a student area so I thought might be cheap n cheerful in terms of looking for a place to rent. Any opinions welcome, especially in terms of cheap rental options (in a safe area, of course!).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

There is nothing wrong with Rathmines. Many professionals now live there. Rents have come down big time and it is within walking distance of town. Rents vary relatively little with location, certainly compared with prices. I have seen rents in Ballsbridge being less than identical accommodation in Gardiner Street. There is no real chance of finding a location which is cheap and cheerful. Most tenants are mobile and price conscious so rents tend to level off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Whoever told you not to look at Rathmines hasn't got a clue what they are talking about. It is an area where just about anyone can find a property to rent at just about any price. Yes, it's studenty, but it's also got professionals, families and everyone in between. It's also safe, close to town, has loads of amenities and plenty of life. A perfect location for a short term rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

What do you consider reasonable per month?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

what kind of rent are you looking for ?

what type of place

studio, 1-bed apartment - 5 bed house?

finglas is good - lots of cheap one-bed apartments and houses. good bus routes and nightlink; walkable to the city.

which can be said so most of dublin city - what EXACTLY do you want to rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No matter what place you go to view - haggle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

irishbird wrote: »
    what kind of rent are you looking for ?

what type of place

studio, 1-bed apartment - 5 bed house?

finglas is good - lots of cheap one-bed apartments and houses. good bus routes and nightlink; walkable to the city.

which can be said so most of dublin city - what EXACTLY do you want to rent

Finglas is certainly not walkable to the city unless you call 50 minutes walkable. Maybe in a estate agents parlance but very few people spend nearly 2 hours a day walking to and from work.

OP there is pleanty of bargains in Finglas. For instance Charlestown, which isn't too far from a nitelink route, has 1 beds for 5-600. It also has 3 supermarkets within a 5 minute walk- Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl and there's a 24h Tesco further down the road.

But if you wanna be near the city for cheap I'd go with Rathmines/Harlods X. Thomas St might also throw up some bargains and its really close to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Finglas??? Why in the name of God are people recommending one of the roughest areas of Dublin to someone who doesn't know the city that well?? And an area that is not even well located for the city centre or anything else for that matter?? For crying out loud, come on.

Advertisement