Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library question for physics students.

Options
  • 07-09-2010 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi everyone
    I'm starting a astronomy course next month by distance learning and am hoping to get access to ucd library as an external reader. Can anyone tell me how extensive the libraries collection of books and magazines are in the areas of astronomy and astrophysics.

dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

If you're starting physics with Astronomy and Space Science this year than be reminded that only 1/12th of the course in first year is astronomy related. The main physics text book you'll be using is "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick and Walker or "University Physics" and will probably cover 2-3 of your physics modules in first year. The "Astronomy and Space Science" module you will be taking will not require a text book really, the lecturer will provide all the notes you need on blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dave3

Thanks for the reply killer pigeon but I'm not doing the astronomy course in ucd. I'm just looking to gain access to the ucd library which I can doo for a fee. Only thing is I need an idea of how many astronomy books etc are available in the library so I can try figure out if its worth while.

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

dave3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply killer pigeon but I'm not doing the astronomy course in ucd. I'm just looking to gain access to the ucd library which I can doo for a fee. Only thing is I need an idea of how many astronomy books etc are available in the library so I can try figure out if its worth while.

Dave.
    To be fair, there isn't a massive amount of astromony or astrophysics related material in the James Joyce library. I mean you'll probably get just as much material online.

There a physics library in the physics building with lots of books. Ask the physics secretary if you can have access to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I just took a look: there are about three racks of books under Astronomy, mostly old, but with a few new ones mixed in.

As for paper journals, there's not much: Astronomy Letters, Astronomy & Space magazine, ESA Bulletin, Pub. Ast. Soc. Japan. They do have the Journal of Astronomy & Astrophysics: if you're looking for papers with titles like "Mass function and bias of dark matter halos for non-Gaussian initial conditions", this is the one. It's huge.

But there are far more electronic resources, so if you can get access to those, all the better. For example, we have access to the CERN Document Server.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 dave3

Hi everyone
    Thanks for all the replies thats the info I was looking for. i'll check with the school of physics.
    dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

You might be able to get access to the school of physics library, but it's doubtful that you'd be able to take out any of the books there, as it's not a lending library. But sure give the school a call and see what they say :)

Advertisement