Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALDI cycling gear 16/09/10

• 07-09-2010 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

I'm bit of a lurker here but stumbled across this on a brochure yesterday,nothing on their website yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

brillaint. more money to have to spend. anything of note?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'm struggling to remember,alot of it was the usual stuff like gloves,shoes,raingear ,there was a bike stand for 2 bikes alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Can you remember the price on the bike stand? I missed the Lidl one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

When do they normally update their website does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

id say i will be thursday or friday, they dont have sundays specials up yet. thats what i reckon anyway. dont know for sure

dont suppose you want scan and upload the brochure do you op. we'd all be very grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

OOOOOhhhhh Yeah!!! A scan of the brochure would be most welcome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Aldi usually updated their website Thursday afternoon or so with the following weeks specials. IIRC they had a cycling special about this time last year with things like long fingered gloves & over shoes etc.. in anticipation of winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

have 2 winter jackets from the last 2 years aldi sales and they are great

Can you remember the price on the bike stand? I missed the Lidl one :(

I "think" it was 39.99
    funkyjebus wrote: »
    id say i will be thursday or friday, they dont have sundays specials up yet. thats what i reckon anyway. dont know for sure

dont suppose you want scan and upload the brochure do you op. we'd all be very grateful.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    OOOOOhhhhh Yeah!!! A scan of the brochure would be most welcome :D

Ah man,that's way too much effort. :D
    It's at home,I'm at work til 8.No scanner at home,no work til Friday after today!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bequick

I wonder will it the same as this ;)

http://www.aldi.nl/OFFER_NL_MI/index37.shtml

The GPS Cycling Computer for €54 might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd say it would be same as last year. If so the waterproof jacket and pants were top, top quality.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Best I could do,few pics with my mobile.
    Also wrote down a few prices for ye.

Winter Cycling Shirt €11.99
    Winter Cycling Jacket €18.69
    Winter Cycling Trousers €16.99
    Mountain Bike Shorts €15.99
    Cycling Shoes €37.99
    Bike Stand €39.99
    Pannier Rack €9.99
    Heart Rate Monitor €14.99
    Winter Cycling Gloves €5.99
    Cycling Rain Jacket €27.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Does anyone know if that bike stand is extendable, i.e. can I use it for just one bike so that it's not about 6 feet tall but only half the height in that pic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Looks to be more of a storage stand than a work stand which will disappoint those who missed the Lild one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I love those gloves. I buy them every year. Not that they don't last, they wear really well, I'm just afraid I'll lose them so I buy back ups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

cosmic wrote: »
    I love those gloves. I buy them every year. Not that they don't last, they wear really well, I'm just afraid I'll lose them so I buy back ups!
    Think I have a set, they were a disaster on the mountainbike tho- too thick, no feeling, like I'd sat on my hands for half an hour then tried to cycle my bike.

Here's the link
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week37Thursday10.htm?WT.z_src=main
    Can see myself spending €220 or so depending on how these items are in the flesh. Anybody any advice on whats good and bad in this lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jmdsk

Bequick wrote: »
    I wonder will it the same as this ;)

http://www.aldi.nl/OFFER_NL_MI/index37.shtml

The GPS Cycling Computer for €54 might be worth a look.

No Gps. Why?
    The shirts don't look the same either. Different quality for Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

From peoples past experiences would this stuff be gone by lunchtime on Thursday? Really want the gloves and rain trousers. Wish Aldi opened at 8am!

• Advertisement

Product_detail_Wk37T2.jpg

That chorizo looks good.

Oh, on the gloves, if they get wet at all your hands will freeze. Grand when not raining though. The socks as well I found are pretty thin, better suited to summer than winter tbh, unless they're thicker then when I got them before. I have I think the black version of the winter jacket, which is pretty good as still wear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

jmdsk wrote: »
    No Gps. Why?
    The shirts don't look the same either. Different quality for Ireland!!
    Note the different logos, they are different companies, Aldi Sud vs Aldi Nord: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

what do i do with Cyclamen on the bike then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i have to say it all looks fairly ****e to me. you'll pick up better quality lower priced stuff on chain reactions. the thermal underwear is a real let down for me i thought it was 10.99 for the whole rig out but the top n bottoms are sold seperatly so its 22 euros. they'd be great just for normal wear in the winter. but yes the chorizo does look fairly tasty, wouldnt want to eat too much of it tho id say it would burn the hole off ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Here's the link
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week37Thursday10.htm?WT.z_src=main
    Can see myself spending €220 or so depending on how these items are in the flesh. Anybody any advice on whats good and bad in this lot?

I think that the Aldi (Crane gear) is better quality than the Lidl (Crivit gear) so whatever you have your eye one, for the prices, wont disappoint.
    From peoples past experiences would this stuff be gone by lunchtime on Thursday? Really want the gloves and rain trousers. Wish Aldi opened at 8am!

It could be gone even earlier! The last round of gear they had for the Spring/Summer in April/May was mostly gone in one of the Galway stores within an hour. To be guaranteed of getting what you need in your size you would really need to be there when it opens. Having said that...maybe there wont be as high a demand for winter gear...but who knows.

The Cap and Overshoes (and sold as a set) look good for €9. The long sleeved Winter Cycling Shirt for €12 looks to be of heavier quality than the one in Lidl two weeks ago which is very light.

On the Winter Cycling Jacket for €18...is this like a Soft Shell Jacket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

the arm and leg warmers look good for next autumn dont know if id trust them 4 winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Benbecul97 wrote: »

On the Winter Cycling Jacket for €18...is this like a Soft Shell Jacket?

Probably - I have a soft shell winter Crane bike jacket that is excellent but no good in the rain. May have a look at the rain jackets this time around.

Probably - I have a soft shell winter Crane bike jacket that is excellent but no good in the rain. May have a look at the rain jackets this time around.

Cheers! I have that Soft Shell one too. Got it in April/May in Aldi. Like you say its warm but not for rain.

The Cycling Rain Jacket this time for €28 is a Mountain Bike Jacket and not foldable into a little pouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

i have to say it all looks fairly ****e to me. you'll pick up better quality lower priced stuff on chain reactions. the thermal underwear is a real let down for me i thought it was 10.99 for the whole rig out but the top n bottoms are sold seperatly so its 22 euros. they'd be great just for normal wear in the winter. but yes the chorizo does look fairly tasty, wouldnt want to eat too much of it tho id say it would burn the hole off ya

Bought the baselayer t shirt last year thought they were brilliant for the money will be trying to pick up a couple again this year

Given that cycling shorts are supposed to be worn next to the skin do people use the thermal underwear bottoms during the winter? Or just the Winter Cycling Trousers? Or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

any opinion on / experience with the shoes?

stas wrote: »
    any opinion on / experience with the shoes?

i have the old ones on now (must get changed) but they had 2 velcro straps and a buckle
    i dont particularly like shoes with just velcro straps

apart from that there fine have been commuting in for a year in them

Please add links to chain reactions better and cheaper gear we'd all like to to get better gear for less.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Please add links to chain reactions better and cheaper gear we'd all like to to get better gear for less.

i did see these arm warmers (in fact i have a pair) mind only xxxl left £6.45
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C9919

thats the only thing i think is too expensive in aldi those warmers should be 4.99
    anyway i have enough gear from aldi :D

oh yes and the overshoes were crap last year they'll keep the wind off but thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

According to BikeRadar there is Marino shirts (UK only?) included in the sale @ £19.99. I'll buy a couple of them if they arrive here!

RPL1 wrote: »
    According to BikeRadar there is Marino shirts (UK only?) included in the sale @ £19.99. I'll buy a couple of them if they arrive here!

Whats the deal with Merino wool and cycling?
    I'm sure they are very warm but could they also not irritate your skin?

Merino wool is amazing stuff - warm and wicks sweat brilliantly and also doesn't stink like most base layers! I've worn it skiing for the last few years and relegated my HelyHanson base layers to the bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

could being the operative word there :cool:

RPL1 wrote: »
    Merino wool is amazing stuff - warm and wicks sweat brilliantly and also doesn't stink like most base layers! I've worn it skiing for the last few years and relegated my HelyHanson base layers to the bike!

Is it to be used as a base layer or over a base layer? According to the Aldi site its a level 2 layer so to be worn over a base layer?

Also, its only 30% Menino wool - dont know if that will affect its performance.

• Advertisement

Is it to be used as a base layer or over a base layer? According to the Aldi site its a level 2 layer so to be worn over a base layer?

Also, its only 30% Menino wool - dont know if that will affect its performance.

Ah .... don't think I'd be bothered so! If it looks to good to be true ...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Just bumping this up for everyone's attention.

What time do Aldi Open by the way?

poochiem wrote: »
    Just bumping this up for everyone's attention.

What time do Aldi Open by the way?

9am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

9am

Alas if only I had heeded your sound advice, I would not have been standing forlorn outside the Aldi behind the ILAC at 08:00 thinking I had made the top of the queue. There'll be nothing left by the time I get there at lunch time. At least I got a pleasant spin around town on one of the Dublin bikes.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

If someone is going (preferably from south Dublin) can you buy me a few stuff and I ll meet you later this evening to pick them up? Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Bloody hell, there was about 60 people Q-ing outside Aldi on Parnell St. this morning. They were four deep falling over each other trying to grab stuff from the baskets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Plastik wrote: »
    Bloody hell, there was about 60 people Q-ing outside Aldi on Parnell St. this morning. They were four deep falling over each other trying to grab stuff from the baskets!

It was scary. I've been to the Aldi cycling sale day every autumn and every spring and I've never seen it like it was this morning. I was getting thrown about the place. Not fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

crap! i was hoping to pick up the bike storage stand this evening :( sounds like it will be tricky to find one by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Oh dear I wonder is there even any point going over to Parnell St. Aldi at lunch time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

winter bibs are a very poor fit, I went a size down and they are still very baggy around the crotch. Good pad though, unfortunately I'm going back for a refund.

• Advertisement
Advertisement