Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALDI cycling gear 16/09/10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Plastik wrote: »
    Bloody hell, there was about 60 people Q-ing outside Aldi on Parnell St. this morning. They were four deep falling over each other trying to grab stuff from the baskets!

There were about 30 queueing outside the Aldi on the Headford road from 8:45am.
    cosmic wrote: »
    It was scary. I've been to the Aldi cycling sale day every autumn and every spring and I've never seen it like it was this morning. I was getting thrown about the place. Not fun :(

Me too, never before seen it this busy. For the first 5 mins or so people were just grabbing, but then it settled down a bit and there was plenty for everyone. The rain jacket was the most popular and they were all pretty much gone within 30mins. Plenty of eveything else though.
    Paulyh wrote: »
    crap! i was hoping to pick up the bike storage stand this evening :( sounds like it will be tricky to find one by then.

If the store I was in was anything to go by there should be no problem getting a storage stand. Only saw 2 people with it. The clothing was what people were after. Still I wouldnt leave it til this evening to get one - if you can at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

cosmic wrote: »
    It was scary. I've been to the Aldi cycling sale day every autumn and every spring and I've never seen it like it was this morning. I was getting thrown about the place. Not fun :(
    I've seen it MAD down in Cork but it was all very polite and refined in Limerick Childers Road even tho there was a good crowd. No stands or lights in evidence in Limerick, lights delayed until Saturday I heard. Got a jacket and long sleeve jersey for MTB use, took a chance on the shorts too. HRM for gym use. And some lucie lizard jellies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

xz wrote: »
    winter bibs are a very poor fit, I went a size down and they are still very baggy around the crotch. Good pad though, unfortunately I'm going back for a refund.

what is the thickness like? are they proper winter legs?

the winter jerseys in lidl 3 weeks back were paper thin and wouldn't keep you warm in 30 degree heat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Was in Rathmines there a few mins ago looking for XL gloves, only Small and Medium ones left. The place looks like a bomb hit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

langdang wrote: »
    I've seen it MAD down in Cork but it was all very polite and refined in Limerick Childers Road even tho there was a good crowd. No stands or lights in evidence in Limerick, lights delayed until Saturday I heard. Got a jacket and long sleeve jersey for MTB use, took a chance on the shorts too. HRM for gym use. And some lucie lizard jellies.

There's plenty left in the Grange Aldi, was just up there.

Got gloves, thermal top, Merino jersey, l/s jersey, jacket, pump and overshoes. All look good quality. Cost €90 for the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Was in Rathmines there a few mins ago looking for XL gloves, only Small and Medium ones left. The place looks like a bomb hit!
    Like Penneys on childers allowance day...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

yeah long mile road looked like bit of bomb site, didnt know if tops looked much good and i already got the lidl rain jacket, bought some socks the heart monitor and the flash light arm bands.

didnt go for bib shorts think il pay bit more and get the quality ones i know wont give me bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

manafana wrote: »
    yeah long mile road looked like bit of bomb site, didnt know if tops looked much good and i already got the lidl rain jacket, bought some socks the heart monitor and the flash light arm bands.

didnt go for bib shorts think il pay bit more and get the quality ones i know wont give me bother.
    did they have any pumps or shoes (size 11, if you wher looking) left? no pumps at all in parnell street. does it go to 120 psi?

funkyjebus wrote: »
    did they have any pumps or shoes (size 11, if you wher looking) left? no pumps at all in parnell street. does it go to 120 psi?

i didnt see any pumps and was only one pair of shoes, heard pumps are pretty average anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

lots of pumps and shoes and other stuff was still there at aldi nutgrove when i left it this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

stas wrote: »
    lots of pumps and shoes and other stuff was still there at aldi nutgrove when i left it this morning.
    Just left that store. Good god you'd swear they were giving away Assos clothing. Vulchers is the only word that springs to mind.
    Had a good laugh at one chap that was flinging stuff out of his way as he dug down looking for his size in something. Only small sizes or xl left in most clothing. Loads of shoes and reflective bands.

Vulchers is the only word that springs to mind.

i thought of piranhas :-)
    Only small sizes or xl left in most clothing.

yeah, i had to dig for medium even at 9:30 when there was still plenty.. also womanly stuff got in the way all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweet taste of low price has died :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Complete waste of time going into the Aldi on Parnell St. at lunch time. I only spotted 3 pairs of small rain bottoms and a couple of thermal vests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Are the arm an leg warmers any good? just wondering if it is worth a trip over to Aldi for them, could do with a few pairs for commuting.

• Advertisement

If anyone heading to the Rathmines branch can update me on whether there are any of the storage stands left, I'd greatly appreciate it! Won't be able to head down there 'til after work tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I sent the wife to nutgrove for 9. she said there were about 20 people in the Q but none looked like cycling types :D but they were all there for the cycling gear , she got what I wanted in the end but she said it was hard work

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone tried Palmerstown? I pass near that store on my way home in the evenings and am wondering if there's any point at all in stopping by to see what's left....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

lots of stuff in aldi in enniscorthy , bought a lair of leg warmers ,there grand .

also a cycling top also grand ,they will not wick away sweat as well as my spin11 stuff .so il just use it for handy spins or the MT .

defo get the leg warmers 9 bucks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i got my saw horse in lidl this morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

just back from nutgrove, bomb site but got a few bits - shirt / jacket / bib trousers / socks / 2 underarmour tops - €70 so full rig out more or less.

What's left -

jackets - all sizes, under armour wear - all sizes, cycling shirts, all sizes ( red / white, socks. merino tops - most sizes

trousers are in short supply, mostly S or XL but i managed the last M i think so will try them out anyway.

Still alot of people buying the stuff up, sounds like it's the same nationwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Haldir wrote: »
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweet taste of low price has died :)
    Just like Down beating Kildare in the GAA:p

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Just back from Galway Headford Rd.
    Plenty supply of most things remain except:
    Stand - only one left on display
    Lights - didn't come in, will come in next week apparantly
    Carriers - about 8 left
    Mudguards - about 5 left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Dónal wrote: »
    If anyone heading to the Rathmines branch can update me on whether there are any of the storage stands left, I'd greatly appreciate it! Won't be able to head down there 'til after work tonight.

There was 5 or 6 of them there before lunch......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Anyone get one of the Luminous Rain Jackets?

Quality any good or would a shower of rain be more than it would manage?

statto25 wrote: »
    Anyone get one of the Luminous Rain Jackets?

Quality any good or would a shower of rain be more than it would manage?

Didnt get one but the rain jacket was the most popular item in Galway this morning and they were all pretty much gone within 30mins.

Looked decent quality and should be able for more than a rain shower. I have a lighter rain jacket that folds up small - which I know is only good for a few showers - so I didnt bother with this. Will check the forecast before heading out!!

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Didnt get one but the rain jacket was the most popular item in Galway this morning and they were all pretty much gone within 30mins.

Looked decent quality and should be able for more than a rain shower. I have a lighter rain jacket that folds up small - which I know is only good for a few showers - so I didnt bother with this. Will check the forecast before heading out!!

Crap it was the headford rd Aldi I was hitting for. I will have a quick glance passing later but chances are the jackets are gone.

statto25 wrote: »
    Crap it was the headford rd Aldi I was hitting for. I will have a quick glance passing later but chances are the jackets are gone.

I was in the Headford Rd Aldi when it opened at 9. When I left there was I think one black one left - cant rememebr the size.

It might be worth your while trying the Aldi in Westside if you can.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    I was in the Headford Rd Aldi when it opened at 9. When I left there was I think one black one left - cant rememebr the size.

It might be worth your while trying the Aldi in Westside if you can.

Spot on. Someone a page or two back said there was lots of stuff left so maybe they re-stocked when the panic died down? Anywho cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Complete waste of time going into the Aldi on Parnell St. at lunch time. I only spotted 3 pairs of small rain bottoms and a couple of thermal vests.

WooHoo! Got to Parnell St. only to find small wet gear, which is what I wanted in the first place. Legs will be fine - just hope the waist isn't really 30in!

Apart from that it looked like a bomb had hit the place - at least getting the leggings made up for my being there an hour too early this morning and then having to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Anyone else think they should limit the quantity you can buy? The woman in front of me in the queue had about €150 worth of jackets and shirts. Not that I needed them, I only wanted the heart-rate monitor and the shoe covers. She must have been buying for a club or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Pizarro wrote: »
    Anyone else think they should limit the quantity you can buy? The woman in front of me in the queue had about €150 worth of jackets and shirts. Not that I needed them, I only wanted the heart-rate monitor and the shoe covers. She must have been buying for a club or something.

A lot of people make a good living out of buying large amounts of this cheap gear and then selling it at car boot sales and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

madness at long mile. got there at 20 past 9 and there was lads with 3 n 4 jackets each. no medium rain jackets left even that early. was contemplating a large womans but got my hands on a large mens instead. will just wear my back pack underneath(the bag is not waterproof!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

For Dublin punters, just back from Belgard Road branch, quite respectable levels of stock of most items, got my XL gloves! Nutgrove had feck all left at 7pm. So Belgard Road is open til 9pm tonight or if you make it over there Friday and they don't have what you want, try their Newlands Cross branch which is a bit out of the way and always seems to sell out last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Got the two bike rack and stuck it on the wall tonight does a really sweet job and tidied up so much space

clondalkin had a lot of stuff still left but deffo head to tallaght

Anyone has any opinion on the bibs? Mine fit alright, but feel weird around the crotch.
    The shirt is bigger than I expected, but maybe it's ok, I don't know. Was really expecting the jersey-like tightness and length.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

levitronix wrote: »
    Got the two bike rack and stuck it on the wall tonight does a really sweet job and tidied up so much space

does the bike stand come with wood screws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I got the HR monitor and after working initially (for about 5 mins) it then told me I had a beat of 200+ !! but.........it has since stopped functioning :eek:, or else it has figured out that I just don't have a heart :D

• Advertisement

There was a big gaping hole where all the cycling stuff in Rathmines was when I managed to get in! If anyone spots any of the storage racks about in any other stores in Dublin, an update would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

I got the HR monitor and after working initially (for about 5 mins) it then told me I had a beat of 200+ !! but.........it has since stopped functioning :eek:, or else it has figured out that I just don't have a heart :D

Mine didn't work out of the box :( I'm going to try a new battery in the chest piece before I return it / call the helpline.

3yr warrrenty so call up and get it fixed or get refund i avnt got mine working either jsut told me had 39 which cant be.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Folks,

Plenty of jerseys, jackets, gloves etc in Lucan this evening at 8pm.

slipstream wrote: »
    does the bike stand come with wood screws?

comes with two masonory screws and plugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Had intended going to Arklow this morning but something else came up. Might get down in the morning if they have anything left. Was anyone there this evening that could update me on stock levels please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Went to Santry at 6pm and they had plenty of jackets,a few shirts but not much else. So went home for a while and headed to Ashbourne at 8pm.
    Lots of stock in Ashbourne still including winter jackets,rain jackets,waterproof trousers,winter shirts,Merino Shirts,hat & overshoe sets,socks and leg/arm covers (who uses these?). The only thing they didn't really have left was the yellow cycle jacket (only one left) and I got the last winter cycling trousers.
    They also had four bike stands left for anybody looking for one.

Hmm....she may well have been buying for a club, but in the past when I bought gear there and I wasnt familiar with the Crane sizes I bought 2 of the shirts/jackets, brought them home and tried them on and then returned what I didnt need. I suspect alot of people do the same, which might account for how quick the stock goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

levitronix wrote: »
    comes with two masonory screws and plugs

I could'nt make it to ALDI last night, but a mate picked me up the bike stand. I just have it up without screwing it to the wall, just resting against in. And it's not going anywhere, have two bikes on it in the spare bedroom and its pretty sturdy. Not sure if it saves much space, but the bikes looks cool on it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Mine didn't work out of the box :( I'm going to try a new battery in the chest piece before I return it / call the helpline.

Maybe you know this already, but when I bought an Lidl monitor recently, I found you have to wet - or preferably gel - the inside of the chest strap to get a reliable signal. If I didn't do this, I certainly wouldn't want anybody attempting to determine my current state of life based on the reading:
    • The patient is dead
    • The patient's heart is beating too fast and has probably exploded
    • Hang on, he's ok again.
    • No, he's dead
    • Wait, he's alive
    • 5h1t - his heart has exploded again!
    • etc, etc ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Damn Aldi!! that's what I say.

Hit the local store and got the merino jersey (very nice) and came home. Missus Jawgap arrived in shortly thereafter having also made a pit-stop at the same shop.

Only she bought two storage racks and is adamant that this means my bikes can be condemned to the shed as there'll be plenty of storage space once the racks are set up:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement