Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hummingbird Hawk-moth

• 07-09-2010 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up to keep an eye out for this Hummingbird look alike in our gardens.
    Daytime species nectaring at the likes of Honeysuckle Buddleja etc.
    I had a probably sighting this morning,

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=2198

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I think it was my first sighting of one of these that led me to this forum... three years ago I think. Lovely creatures and I've been on the lookout for them ever since to no avail. I thought I saw one back in June but I think it was too early so was probably something else. I'll keep a lookout again now that you've mentioned them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

We found a caterpillar 2 weeks ago which is similar to that in OPs link. Could it have come over as far as EGalway? The closest I could find on the web was the lime hawk moth but I think less likely that he would be found here. Where is good for caterpillar IDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I replied to this already and its gone?? Boards having a couple hiccups this morning.

Anyway, Hummingbird Hawk-moth is an immigrant from southern lands and there are plenty sightings in June

Here is a link to caterpillars
    I'd like to confirm the photo myself and enter the record. Larval records are scarcely documented in Ireland.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Are hummingbird hawk moths common all over Ireland?

I saw one a few years ago, sooooo beautiful, I think it led me to this section of boards too.

Mothman what happens to moths and butterflies, when we get heavy rain like we are getting now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

artieanna wrote: »
    Are hummingbird hawk moths common all over Ireland?
    Similar to Red Admiral and Painted Lady they do not over winter in Ireland, (the rare exception) Any that are seen are as a result of immigration usually from southern Europe or Africa
    artieanna wrote: »
    Mothman what happens to moths and butterflies, when we get heavy rain like we are getting now?
    They generally just sit it out. Many are very much worse for wear after heavy rain, but many escape unharmed. Some species will rest on the ground in vegetation, others above the ground

• Advertisement
Advertisement