Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do, really annoyed?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

When we signed the lease the landlord said we had to lock bikes in front of the house, which I didn't think was a problem until I actually thought about it(it's not written on the lease that we actually have to lock them in the front, it was just said when we were signing it)

However a few weeks before we moved in I texted the landlord as I was buying a bike and asked would it be possible to lock our bikes in the back as I didn't want to buy a bike to see it stolen as soon as I move in. He said that it would be no problem at all as long as they were not obstructing anything. So I got a bike and a helmet and locks which cost a few hundred euro. My friend who moved in before me just texted to say 'btw you're not allowed lock your bike in the back', what do I do, have I any right to ring him and ask what the hell is he playing at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

If it's not written in the lease then my guess would be that's it's not legally binding, and as long a they are not causing a safety issue by being locked in the back (assuming the back is included in your rented property) then I don't think the landlord can do anythig about you locking them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

lock your bike out the back of the house, when the landlord notifys you of an inspection move it round the front........... simples

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

I texted the landlord [...] He said that it would be no problem at all as long as they were not obstructing anything.

My friend who moved in before me just texted to say 'btw you're not allowed lock your bike in the back'

Your friend likely is unaware that the Landlord agreed that you can now leave the bikes out the back - he's probably just giving you a heads-up. Show him the LL's text and I'll bet he starts locking his up out the back, too.

Oh, and make sure you save the text for future reference, too, just in case...

Advertisement