Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need adivice on replacing a roof tile

• 07-09-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have an ex-council house (mid 60ish) with a concrete tile roof. Yesterday I discovered that one of the roof tiles is not installed properly (it started leaking). The dodgy tile is located right below the roof ridge and just above a roof window so access to it is very easy and I have a good amount of replacement tiles in the attic. I was thinking of maybe trying to replace the tile myself.

My concern here is that I have no idea how the ridge tiles are joined together. Therefore I'm a bit concerned about lifting the one up that's blocking the bad tile. If they are sealed with some kind of pitch in the gaps I might not be able to seal the ridge when I'm done with the bad tile.

It would be great if somebody could give me an idea of how the ridge tiles could be joined together and if I would first need to have some kind of roof sealant ready when putting everything back together.

Cheers,
    H.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Concrete tile usually "interlock" into each other, so it should be fairly easy to remove a few, as unlike slate they are not all nailed to the timber batten.

Look at a few conc tile manufacturers web sites, as most will have clear drawings or photographs showing how the tiles are nailed & how they fit together - could be useful to you.

If there is no felt under the tiles, then it might be possible to do the work from inside your attic.

Advertisement