Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nico gets a powermeter

• 07-09-2010 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

I read today that Nico Roche is getting a powermeter (SRM) as a training aid.
    He has never had one and only used HR data.

I assumed all pros have them. Just goes to show that you don't need all the gizmos to be a top athlete.

Are there other teams that don't use power or in most teams is it left up to the athlete?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think it's up to the rider for the most part. Power meters seem to be part of the culture of some teams more than others. I know Oscar Freire doesn't even use a bike computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Nobody needs a powermeter but if you work full time and have limited training time each week, say 10-15 hours then a powermeter will help you get the most out of those 10-15 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I'm stunned to hear that. I too assumed that training with a power metre was the norm at pro level. Maybe he will be even better next year for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

ROK ON wrote: »
    Just goes to show that you don't need all the gizmos to be a top athlete.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

goes to show how expesinve SRM units are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

mloc123 wrote: »
    limited training time each week, say 10-15 hours

:eek:

15hrs is limited??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Nobody needs a powermeter but if you work full time and have limited training time each week, say 10-15 hours then a powermeter will help you get the most out of those 10-15 hours.

MLoc - remember this is the Cycling board. 10-15 hours is huge here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

LeoD wrote: »
    :eek:

15hrs is limited??

If you have a full time job, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

500 hours a year is about normal for a good A4 rider, 10-15 hours a week is pretty good when you are only training for cycling and not any "other" stuff.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    500 hours a year is about normal for a good A4 rider, 10-15 hours a week is pretty good when you are only training for cycling and not any "other" stuff.

two long rides and two hour turbos? I'd have thought pure roadies did more than that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not sure there's much correlation between hours and ability.

I'm sure there are A2s who can stay competitive on 10 hours a week and A4s who struggle on 15.

tunney wrote: »
    two long rides and two hour turbos? I'd have thought pure roadies did more than that?

Most triathletes would do two long and two turbos... and they waste time splashing and jogging too.

Lumen wrote: »

I'm sure there are A2s who can stay competitive on 10 hours a week and A4s who struggle on 15.

This probably goes back to my original post... you could train with purpose for 10 hours a week or piss about for 20 hours a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most triathletes would do two long and two turbos... and they waste time splashing and jogging too.

I read some interesting stuff about Ironman training on here recently. I don't know much about that sort of thing, but it's quite interesting.
    Pure runners typically perform two fast runs each week. Pure cyclists typically perform two fast rides each week. Many triathletes try to do two fast rides and two fast runs each week. I don’t think this is a good idea for anyone, except perhaps World Cup racers, but it’s definitely not a good idea for those training for Ironman events. The problem is that fatigue from cycling transfers all too well to running, and vice versa, such that doing two hard rides and two hard runs weekly is almost tantamount to a pure runner doing four hard runs every week. Fatigue will accumulate and performance in all of those hard workouts will be compromised.

Sorry for off-topic, but it's sort of relevant with respect to avoiding excessive training loads. Not that I have that problem at the moment (or Tunney apparently, judging by his blog).

I suspect some people get more benefit out of powermeters than others. By that I mean, some riders would be better able to gauge their efforts without measurement.

Now of course, you could point to someone like Freire and say he doesn't really need one. But the counterpoint of that would be to ask if he would be even better if he did use one. Who knows?

Aside from the measurement of effort, I reckon some riders benefit from them purely because they enjoy working with the numbers and it adds a certain motivation through tracking improvement and hitting targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Just as some folks use numbers as motivation others use as a barrier.
    I climb better in a group as I am usually too focused in trying to hold onto the wheels ahead to look at hr data.
    Now on my own I look incessantly at data making sure I don't go into the red.

Ironically when in a group and I do go into the red on a climb it is usually not too bad and given the short nature of climbs here recovery is only around the corner.

I guess most riders fall between the two stools of a barrier or a target.

I read some interesting stuff about Ironman training on here recently. I don't know much about that sort of thing, but it's quite interesting.

Sorry for off-topic, but it's sort of relevant with respect to avoiding excessive training loads. Not that I have that problem at the moment (or Tunney apparently, judging by his blog).

A bad bad day.

10 year bonds over 6% and Lumen made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I was going to stay that - I would think that 10hrs a week (with a couple of longer weeks in the winter) would be enough for a good A2 rider in all but the longest races... They would have to be very efficient with the time though - not buming around for the 10 hours etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

From my experince ironman training is all about putting in the hours conditioning your body for long days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Would it not be normal practice for most pros to all have power meters on their TT bikes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

There were 2 shocking elements to this IMO.

1. He doesn't already have a power meter
    2. He seems to suggest he bought it himself (as some sort of "treat")

Jesus, power meters are expensive and all, but its what he does for a living ffs!

Advertisement