Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networks

Options
  • 07-09-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

Question :)

I may be moving up to Newry and I was wondering about my phone.

I know my Irish one will still work but I will have no free texts to the people back at home etc

Is there anything out there that would give me free texts via a handset that would work both in Newry and to text people at home?

I thought maybe o2 or vodafone may as they operate in both places...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 will let you text back to the Republic for free once your on 3UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Misticles wrote: »
    Question :)

I may be moving up to Newry and I was wondering about my phone.

I know my Irish one will still work but I will have no free texts to the people back at home etc

Is there anything out there that would give me free texts via a handset that would work both in Newry and to text people at home?

I thought maybe o2 or vodafone may as they operate in both places...

Hi,

The network you want to be on is three.ie
    No roaming charges to make or receive calls with your irish sim card, and free calls to uk based carriers, so essentially free calls!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Three is a good idea and it will work well enough in downtown Newry. But Three does not have strong network coverage in NI generally, if you are out and about you may not find a Three signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

3 don't have any unlimited free text bundles built into their monthly plans, well only the 90e a month!

Was hoping to get the iPhone with them :(

For free texts use Cabbage or similar to avail of web texts from the phone.

Tesco are decent for NI roaming, oddly enough.

Also check out the "Ireland" bolt ons for UK networks e.g. O2, maybe ask at CarphoneWarehouse in Newry.

Or text less.

• Advertisement

Haha :D

Text less, that I cannot do.

I send about 800 messages a week, I need my txt perks :D

I would have thought 100 texts per day would be enough. In any case if you are careful where you choose to live you can pick up the O2 mast in Omeath.

I'd be in the city area... hmmm

I'd be in the city area... hmmm

you need a little bit of elevation to do the trick.

I was looking on the 3 website and I can't find anything about their texts being free when you go to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Misticles wrote: »
    I was looking on the 3 website and I can't find anything about their texts being free when you go to the UK.

Not free, they are the same price as in ROI. they will come out of your allowance though on billpay, so if you have 300 in your plan, you can text or call away as if you were at home. Its called '3like home'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

All 3 best of both plans have unlimited texts to Irish (ROI) networks.

Advertisement