Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spurs

Options
  • 07-09-2010 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

can someone tell me is it allowable to branch off a ring for a single socket or a double socket at all

i see the 2 examples in the rules:
    spurs 'on the ring' for 16a socket and also permanently conected appliances

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Open to correction on this but I think the limit is 10 Spurs that you can have off a ring circuit, but imo 10 spurs would be excessive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i mean tee-ing off for a socket as opposed to a fuse on the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

as far as i can remember from regs it is allowed to tee off a ring for a socket,might be no harm to put a fused connection unit before the socket!

ahh-you'd have plug fuses in series then:mad:

meaning?

• Advertisement

no biggie but prefer not

just wondered if the tee-off for single socket(cable same size as ring conductors)

or tee-off for double socket(cable matching ocpd)

is allowed or not

from time to time it's needed ,but generally i prefer to keep sockets on the ring itself

no probs always open to correction sure thats how ya learn,just had a flick back through my notes from phase 2 which was 4 years ago so maybe things have changed but

"Unfused spurs from a ring wired in the same cable as the ring are allowed to run one single or double socket (the use of two singles was previously allowed but was banned because of people replacing them with doubles) or one fused connection unit (FCU). Spurs may either start from a socket or be joined to the ring cable with a junction box or other approved method of joining cables. Triple and larger sockets are generally fused and therefore can also be placed on a spur"

hmm

think that's gone so from the new rules - they only mention fused spurs on the ring itself

either regular FCU or mcb for 16a socket

i need to grab a new copy of the regs myself sorry cant be of more help mate,interesting question though would like to get some clarification myself!cheers

Advertisement