Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Party this Saturday

Options
  • 07-09-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Need some help, cooking for 4 people this saturday have the main course worked out but need help on a starter and dessert.

Might also need help with the main.

Starter

Soup or Melon

Main

Pork Tenderloin Supreme with Potato Confit and some veg

(how do i go about cooking potato confit, been looking it up and can't find anything)

Dessert

Black Forrest Gateaux

Wine

Merlot

What do you all think, Is there anything i could improve on or add or would be better suited.

Thanks.

oooo 1000 post yay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Congrats on your 1000th post & three stars! :)

Here's a simple potato confit recipe:
    Confit Potato
    Slice across the top and bottom of each potato to make a slab and push a round cutter through the heart of each to form thick discs.
    Round off the edges.
    Place in a saucepan, add butter and cover with water to 2mm above the potatoes (do not season, as water will reduce and make the potatoes too salty).
    Boil over a medium heat to reduce until only the butter remains and the potatoes have begun to colour.
    Once butter has coloured, remove from heat, allow to cool, then remove from pan and season.

For the starter - I'd go for melon, but maybe with some parma ham to sexy it up a bit.

As for the vino - you'll probably get through more than one bottle, so maybe vary it a bit. I'm not a connoisseur & drink what takes my fancy. Don't limit yourself or your guests to a particular grape if it may be something that they don't like.

Best of luck & let's know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Shall do, going to get a white for after, Didn't think of the parma ham, good thinking Robin,

Taken me 5 or so years but finally i have my stars :D

And will let you know come sunday how it went. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

I think you should go for a nice soup! This weather really calls for it. Sometimes you cant beat a lovely warm soup with some crusty bread.

Easy Healthy Vegetable Soup

Serves 4

2 medium onions, chopped
    3 carrots, peeled and chopped
    3 broccoli pieces, sliced
    3 mushrooms, sliced
    2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
    2 stalks of celery, topped and tailed and sliced.
    1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped
    1-2 chicken or veg stock cubes

You can really use anything you have in the fridge though.
    You can sweat the onion, celery and mushrooms before adding about 1.5 litres of stock ( I usually just bung it all in though if im honest)

Bring to the boil and simmer until veg are cooked (approx 20 mins)
    Cool slightly before liquidising until smooth.

This soup will be quite thick, but you can water it down as desired.
    Check seasoning and adjust as neccesary.

Serve with a drizzle of creme fraishe or fresh cream and a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley. Yum!

For dessert I would do something comforting such as a bannoffi pie (can be made well in advance) or a simple apple crumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

I made Jamie Olivers butternut squash soup before and it's yum.
    Just crusty bread with it would be great.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/superb-squash-soup-with-the-best-parmesan-croutons-recipe/index.html
    It's nice to have something prepared that morning that all you have to do is heat up.

I'm not really a dessert person so I'm no help there.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Potato confit sounds much like fondant potatoes - many recipes for fondant online although HB has already given you a good recipe earlier in the thread. Before removing from the pan - test with a small sharp knife to see if they are cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Thanks guys and gals

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Best of luck tomorrow!

Advertisement