Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu Morgan Street

• 07-09-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, beware.

I usually do my shopping in Tesco, but having picked my daughters up from the Mercy and having little time, I decided to pop in to Supervalu to do my weekly shop.

An hour and ten minutes later, I came out with €140 worth of shopping, only to be greeted with a parking ticket on my window for €50 - apparantly Supervalu wants their customers to pay for parking whilst also giving them custom!

Now, in fairness, having investigated afterwards, there was indeed a parking display machine, opposite Heatons entrance, but I've been to Heatons countless times and have honestly never noticed this machine before!

Anyway, the guy that issued the ticket was really unhelpful and just told me to send the ticket along with the shopping receipt to Euro car parks head office in Dublin, which I've now done. I won't be paying.

Anyway, just to warn ye about Supervalu's nonsensical parking charge policy if , like me, ye had no idea about it. I've never heard of a supermarket charging their customers to park whilst giving them business at the same time!

I certainly won't be shopping there again - think I'll stick to the free car park at Tesco, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Hiya,

I used to live on Morgan Street and remember asking them (SuperValue) about this one. The problem is the car park is not theirs- they are just renting unit space in the retail centre. So, the parking is a pay and display jobbie.

I believe that if you buy a ticket and then hand it in after spending more than €10 then they refund you the cost at the till. Not much use to you now I know...

Most Tescos (certainly the newer ones) own their own car parks so it's up to them whether they charge for parking or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

bohsfan wrote: »
    Hiya,

I used to live on Morgan Street and remember asking them (SuperValue) about this one. The problem is the car park is not theirs- they are just renting unit space in the retail centre. So, the parking is a pay and display jobbie.

I believe that if you buy a ticket and then hand it in after spending more than €10 then they refund you the cost at the till. Not much use to you now I know...

Most Tescos (certainly the newer ones) own their own car parks so it's up to them whether they charge for parking or not.

Hi there. :)

Yep, the parking guy told me that afterwards alright. He told me you got a free first hour, but then had to run out in the middle of shopping after an hour to put a euro in the parking machine, then go on and continue your shopping, then go back with the receipt to get your euro refunded or something. Just farcical.

I understand what you mean about them renting the car park, but to charge paying customers €50 euros for parking for ten minutes over the allotted hour is just plain greedy and mean! Like I said, I won't pay it on principle and will never use Supervalu to shop again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've never heard of a supermarket charging their customers to park whilst giving them business at the same time!

You've lived a sheltered life then, its very common across the country as the supermarket is only a unit in a retail area alot of them don't own the carpark.

In addition Supervalue have had pay and display signs up for years at the hypermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

who spends longer than an hour shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

^ Em people with family's to feed..

• Advertisement

Xyo wrote: »

Helpful post, but as the poster above stated, I have a family to feed and usually spend between 1hr 20 and 2 hrs shopping every week, as do most mums I know.

As for leading a sheltered life, as another poster claimed, not really - I just normally do my grocery shopping in Tesco or the odd time, Superquinn, neither of which charge their customers to do so. If it's common practice across the country, fair enough, it's just not something I've ever personally come across.

God, you get some sarky replies on here don't you?? :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As for leading a sheltered life, as another poster claimed, not really - I just normally do my grocery shopping in Tesco or the odd time, Superquinn, neither of which charge their customers to do so.

Both in Waterford don't charge for shopping,
    Dunnes however do, as do Dunnes in Kilkenny and Superquinn in Kilkenny, the same can be said up and down the country.

You made an assumption that supermarkets don't charge for parking because you give them business, this isn't correct however.

Your same argument could be used for paying for parking in any town or city, why should I since I'm giving the place business.
    :rolleyes:

[EDIT] I see you've edited your post now, yes its common enough practice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I thought they charge in Poleberry too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Anywhere that close to the centre generally would need to charge, otherwise you would have people abusing the free parking ! Does anyone know, do you have to pay for Tesco poleberry too? Im guessing you do.

And I take longer than an hour shopping too, anyone with a family does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Just so I have it in my head, first hour is free is it?

They have indeed been charging for years iirc. I don't agree with it but it is one of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Cabaal wrote: »
    Both in Waterford don't charge for shopping,
    Dunnes however do, as do Dunnes in Kilkenny and Superquinn in Kilkenny, the same can be said up and down the country.

Both places dont own the car park. Car park for dunnes is the market yard, but ive heard some of the money goes to dunnes, the rest to the council.

I think these days, its rediculous to charge for parking in any supermarket. People will always go where its cheaper to park.

wobbles wrote: »
    Both places dont own the car park. Car park for dunnes is the market yard, but ive heard some of the money goes to dunnes, the rest to the council.

Wasn't it already pointed out though that Supervalue don't own the carpark in the hypermarket either?
    I think these days, its rediculous to charge for parking in any supermarket. People will always go where its cheaper to park.

I'm not saying people should pay, I just find it amusing that the hypermarket has been charging for years....hell last time I was up that area was 2006 and they were charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

only to be greeted with a parking ticket on my window for €50

Could be €80 if your car was clamped
    ziedth wrote: »
    Just so I have it in my head, first hour is free is it?

15 min only

52xsmh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

As Michelle pointed out they have to charge because of the proximity to the town. The surrounding streets charge 1.80 an hour up to a max of two hours. If their car park was free no one in their right mind would park on the surrounding streets or in the city center considering how close a walk it is and genuine customers would lose out. The one or two euro charge for anyone doing a serious amount of shopping will mean the car park is free to use. If you are shopping for less then 15 minutes it's free as well. The majority of the staff in there are sound, so if for whatever reason, you spend a euro to park and spend less then a tenner they probably will refund you. The Dunnes staff in Dungarvan validate parking tickets the whole time if you are below the min spend and you ask them nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

No wonder people get tickets :p

826D65C0BBB74687930A002B041DC4B1-0000328593-0001904951-00800L-5EB5F1774D7F457B9AFDFEB96EBB9563.jpg

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

So that's where I left my car :rolleyes::D:p

Ah but in all honesty - some parking! I wonder did they pass their test?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

People were abusing the car park including me on occasions so i don't blame them....charges been there for about 2yrs now I think, but the first 15 mins is free...no need for a ticket and free if you spend over a tenner (I think)

How can anyone complain about this in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I know of a few people who got parking tickets a few years ago and just never bothered to pay them. And nothing happened. Something about Euro Car Parks being a private company and couldn't prove that you were parked there without paying so they couldn't bring you to court. Is this still happening or have any loopholes been closed?

Edit: After a quick google search it seems the private companies will rarely fight to get payment if someone refuses to pay the fine, or just ignore any notices sent out. Private land owners have a right to charge you for parking on their land. You have the right not to pay any charges you feel are unfair however.

In the case of a Supermarket where you go to spend plenty of money on your weekly shopping I think charging for parking is a bit ridiculous. They should be encouraging customers, not trying to penalise them or make extra money from them with parking. In this case I think parking should be free for the first 2 hours, as it is in most superrmarket car parks. So if I get a fine when parking for less time than that I wouldn't pay. Obviously I don't agree with someone parking there for the whole day without even going into Supervalu. But then again if they don't have any barriers or another way to stop people parking without paying they can't really force anyone to pay a fine either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

In the case of a Supermarket where you go to spend plenty of money on your weekly shopping I think charging for parking is a bit ridiculous. They should be encouraging customers, not trying to penalise them or make extra money from them with parking. In this case I think parking should be free for the first 2 hours, as it is in most superrmarket car parks. So if I get a fine when parking for less time than that I wouldn't pay. Obviously I don't agree with someone parking there for the whole day without even going into Supervalu. But then again if they don't have any barriers or another way to stop people parking without paying they can't really force anyone to pay a fine either.

Have you read the thread? Super Valu don't own the car park, as is the case with many car parks which are charged for. If you are spending "lots of money" (more than a tenner) you get your parking for free in Super Valu and many other such cases if you show them your parking ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Xyo wrote: »
    I do, especially when I migtht have a breakfast as well,:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have not been in that car park much, but the machines are not very obvious, and on a couple of occasions I tried to get a ticket and it wasn't working.

You don't have to pay in Poleberry, and while there is a theoretical limit, I have been to the cinema and left the car in there with no problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Dont see what the problem is??? Pay for you parking ticket and then present it at the till in Supervalu when paying for your shopping and they refund it for you. So it costs nothing! Where's the problem?:)

Beeker wrote: »
    Dont see what the problem is??? Pay for you parking ticket and then present it at the till in Supervalu when paying for your shopping and they refund it for you. So it costs nothing! Where's the problem?:)

As I stated in my OP, I didn't see any parking machines - I accept that was my fault. I guess I'm used to only shopping in supermarkets where you don't need to pay for parking.

My point is, meting out a €50 fine is excessive in my opinion, especially to a customer who has just spent €140 in the store. I accept there is a system in place for customers of Super Valu, I just wasn't aware of it! I also don't agree with it - just my opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

How does that work though. You have to pay for our ticket, then obviously have to leave it on your dash. So do you have to finish your shopping, come out to the car, then head back in and queue up to get two euro refunded or something?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

nkay1985 wrote: »
    How does that work though. You have to pay for our ticket, then obviously have to leave it on your dash. So do you have to finish your shopping, come out to the car, then head back in and queue up to get two euro refunded or something?
    No...ticket comes in two parts, one you leave on the dash and the other half you present at the till.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

No...ticket comes in two parts, one you leave on the dash and the other half you present at the till.

Fair enough. Shows how often I've bought a ticket there I suppose. I also know quite a few people who just binned the penalty notice and heard nothing more about it ever again. I wonder do they every chase people for the fines or are they happy enough to just make their money in ticket sales.

Advertisement