Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quiet first date spot for a friday in city?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does such a place exist? on a Friday?

I was thinking the long stone which we might have a chance for seats in if we don't arrive way too late but this lass is from Rathmines direction so if there was somewhere closer to her which is quiet even on a Friday please let me know about it.

What about Ron Blacks on a Friday, it will be jammers on that day perhaps?
    It's possible to push the date back to next week I'd say but I like this girl so good to do it on Friday if we can.

So somewhere cosy, quiet, outskirts of city is fine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 diamonddarren

I heard the capital bar is cosy too, but is it really busy on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

would a restaurant not be better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Roddy Bolands Rathmines head in earlyish and its grand.
    Wanna make it even more perfect go early to Jo Burger get some food then head to Bolands ha :D

Nah defo has to be a bar me thinks. Restaurants bit too formal for first date as far as what I like to do is concerned.

Bar in rathmines, thanks for the suggestions but likely to run into people the girl knows.

Shortlist for far seems to be the long stone and the captial. Heard one or two mentions of the bankers bar on another thread here too. Keep those ideas coming please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

The Port House Tapas bar off exchequer st.

The Bia Bar is grand.

The Capital is fairly quiet.

I would personally go to the Snail Bar myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Upstairs in the Lord Edward by Christ Church can be quiet enough on a Friday. They do a good pint of Guinness too.

Meant to suggest the Library Bar – Central Hotel on Exchequer St instead of capitol earlier, this place has a fire.... got confused. Seems like captal can good too though. Diceicle, the snail is the market bar no? Would it still be 'date material' on a friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Port House is cool, but it gets extremely crowded, and I'd call it more of a restaurant than a bar - it's the tapas factor that makes it less formal. If you go here, try to make a reservation.

You might try a few places in Ranelagh - it's close to Rathmines, but more low key. There is a wine bar on the main drag; haven't been there, but it might be a good happy medium. Pinnochio's is a bar/restaurant under the Luas stop, and they do both sit-down dinner and have a high table/bar area to do antipasti and drinks. If the owners pull out the guitar and decide to start singing though, it might get a little noisy. :p You might be able to find a quiet corner at Birchall's or McSorleys, but McSorley's will be loud and crowded after 9pm or so (I only went to Birchall's at odd times, so have no idea about Friday night).

La Cave is another wine bar, but in the city center. It can get very crowded as it gets late, but it feels very intimate. It's downstairs in this dim red room, and there is always old Cuban son or "scratchy old record"-type music playing. It's a late night bar, so if things are going well on your date, it's a good place to keep the party going (that's how I found out about it!). ;)

Not sure why you are opposed to restaurants, but Mermaid Cafe on Dame Street is a great date place - the service is excellent and paced so you can linger over your food and conversation, but it has a very casual, non-fussy feel to it. Plus the food is good. I find that a lot of Dublin restaurants are really dark and loud, but that's not the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Meant to suggest the Library Bar – Central Hotel on Exchequer St instead of capitol earlier, this place has a fire.... got confused. Seems like captal can good too though. Diceicle, the snail is the market bar no? Would it still be 'date material' on a friday?

The Snail Bar (maybe I have the name wrong) is accross from the Market Bar, its got a large wooden snail over the door and you have to go upstairs. Last time I was in there was a Friday so you get the after work drinkers from offices but its a nice place to bring a date IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Diceicle wrote: »
    The Snail Bar (maybe I have the name wrong) is accross from the Market Bar, its got a large wooden snail over the door and you have to go upstairs. Last time I was in there was a Friday so you get the after work drinkers from offices but its a nice place to bring a date IMO.

Also know as the 'No Name Bar', as Diceicle says, it's on Fade St just opposite the Market Bar. Fairly chilled out and relaxed, with good music. Can be pretty busy by the end of the night though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement