Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Insurance claim help please.

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've just discovered there are two huge holes in our extension roof.
    They are foot-sized holes. One of the neighbours (an adult) was up on our roof messing a couple of months ago retrieving a ball and I'm sure he's put his feet through the roof. I came home yesterday and the place was flooded. My partner went up on the roof and discovered two large holes. The particular neighbour who was on the roof has moved away now and my question is does anyone with professional knowledge of home insurance know if we are able to claim for this damage or will the insurance company tell us to claim off our neighbours? Relations between us and the neighbours are not great as it is (long story) and I'd like to avoid involving them if possible.

Thanks Dee

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

What you should do is immediately contact an insurance loss assessor(not a loss adjuster). Get the loss assessor out to the house straight away and let them do all the dealing with the insurance company. I know some good ones in Dublin but there are loss assessors all over the country. They will charge a percentage of the settlement. In my experience they are well worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DeeDee77

Thanks Jo. Do you have the names or numbers of any good assessors?

DeeDee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Send PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Just a little info that may be of interest to you. We had a roof issue and it did not matter the cause we just claimed from our house insurance and there were no issues with cause etc. However our claim was in excess of €15k and the following renewal our insurance had increased x 5!!!! No other company would even quote us as apparently you hav eot be claim free for several years in order to get a quote.
    we did not use a loss assessor and there is no need if you have a good idea of construction and your rights!! Read your policy backwards, the things you are entitled to may surprise you.

Advertisement