Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F'in motorbikes under 25kw :(

• 07-09-2010 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Motorbikes under 25kw isnt jst my problem about gettin a bike, its getting dem insured, quinn direct quoted me on some 250cc bikes bt none of da bikes i wanted :mad: Vry disappointed so it means no cbr250 fr me :mad:
    bt da only bike i gt quoted on was a suzuki gsf 250 (bandit?) which i believe 2 b as rare as hens teeth....ne body gt ne ideas of other suitable bikes??? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

What age are you?

Bandit 600,hornet 600, fzr600, cbf600,gs500, vfr400, cb400 (just to name a few) can all be restricted and insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 The Curran

im 19 with a provisional license, cbr250 nd gsxr 250, refused insurance :(
    the gsf250 was about 800 fr insurance, which i dnt kno is cheap or dear bt its better than my car insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The Curren,

I presume you are using a keyboard, why not make full use of all those lovely keys and type correctly.

Txt Spk is not tolerated on boards.ie, keep it up and you can take some time off.

Sorry Boss ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Gs500, CB500 and ER500 all cheap bikes to run and insure :cool:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What age bike are you looking for? Try the fzr, zzr or zxr 250, all of them are similar to the cbr250, I think quinn would insure me at the time on a provisional with no experience (I was 24 at the time, didn't bother getting a bike in the end)

Hmmm nice looking bikes but there sayn il need 2 be 21 to get certain bikes :mad:
    the year of motorbike doesnt bother me,
    it's all jst hard 2 know :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Have you tried Aon?

I must give them a ring.thanks
    Quinn-direct, Aon and any other suggestion?:)

The Curran wrote: »

Adelaide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

AFAIK Quinn are the best for first time bikers. Im driving a restricted Bandit 600 and believe me tis plenty quick!;)

Im 22 though but to give ya an idea Im playing €750 to insure it which is savage IMO seen as I have zero biking experience and no rider training!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

If you're going to try Quinn-Direct try online first, I'm a first time biker and got a cheaper and quicker quote off them online than I did on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

You could try caroll nash bike insurance they are not to bad with there quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sronoc

Ducati Monster 400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

quinn arent necessary the cheapest for first time bikers, Adelaide do good deals as well, but like all ins compaines, it depends on age etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

unless its changed, adelaide needed ya to be 25+ with 1 years NCB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

martydunf wrote: »
    AFAIK Quinn are the best for first time bikers. Im driving a restricted Bandit 600 and believe me tis plenty quick!;)

Im 22 though but to give ya an idea Im playing €750 to insure it which is savage IMO seen as I have zero biking experience and no rider training!:D

Op Training will help you out with insurance costs a lot, to give you an idea, I'm 25 have the same bike as martydunf (bandit 600 restricted) first year was 1100 fully comp, I did grade 2 training and assessment and the next year that with 1 years ncb brought my insurance down to around 400-500 fully comp.

I just tried quinn again there asking for a quote on a 600 bandit restricted down to a 250 but still no good :confused:
    I was told i have to be over 21,apu, i also tried zxr250 and still.....no good :(
    Starting ta give up hope here

Forget the sports 250s they're all rated high to begin with, for the Bandit you would need a factory restricted bike (not an aftermarket cert) and even then it's a lot of bike to start off with.

Do you have a full license, if not it's better to do a course with a rider training school (using their bike) and do the test on it, you'll be a much more attractive proposition with the full license.

Failing all that try a Bros 400, they're one of the most insurable sporty bikes out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

I just tried quinn again there asking for a quote on a 600 bandit restricted down to a 250

Restriction has nothing to do with an engine size, yet you seem to be focussed on 250cc bikes for some reason.

Have a read of this page;
    http://www.magireland.org/content/25kw-licence-facts

You should be able to insure a factory restricted Bandit 600 or similar as a first time biker. If you do a little training and an insurance assessment you'll get a decent discount on the insurance too.

You can train with these guys on school bikes;
    http://www.msa-ireland.com/

I'm not connected to them in any way, just using them as an example. I know a number of instructors have school bikes now because CBT is coming in from December 6th.

Hope that helps. Don't give up on it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

sv650 pal ;)

quinn were the only one who would insure me on that, im 23 and was around 800e cheaper than AON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

bladespin wrote: »
    Adelaide

Taking lessons at the moment about to buy a bike - contacted Adelaide for a few quotes - would only talk to me after I had held a provisional of over a year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scribbles666

try the yamaha yzf r125, deadly little bike, insurance should be no problem

No use to do the full test on unless he wants a full A1 licence which means he'll be restricted to <125cc motorbikes, in otherwise bike should be 250cc or greater for the A licence

there's so many limitation with this insurance crack, having to be over 21, full licene for 2 years, under 25kw of power, no sport bikes, awkward aul craic hi
    And i believe Carole Nash are a good crowd but need full license.

Plenty of lads riding bikes with prov. licences that are under 21 but as unfortunate as it is there will be limitations. Quinn will definatly quote you but really depends on the type of bike it is. Use their online quote system and plug in differnt makes and models of bikes and see if you get any joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

I just tried quinn again there asking for a quote on a 600 bandit restricted down to a 250 but still no good :confused:
    I was told i have to be over 21,apu, i also tried zxr250 and still.....no good :(
    Starting ta give up hope here

Im also 19, and I had the very same dilema as you buddy.... Any 250 racer, forget about it, wont get insured, even the factory restricted 600cc bikes are impossible for provisional drivers under the age of 21-25 to get insured on ( in my experience with Quinn ). Unless you wanna get quoted €6000 from AON or Charole Nash !!

Here's the answer !!
    Get a Honda Hornet 250 ! I got insured on one for €850 (TPO) from Quinn.
    The hornet 250 has the same revvy inline 4 cylinder engine as the CBR250rr :D, but it is slightly detuned ( redlining at 16k revs instead of 19k outputting 40BHP instead of 45bhp, not a huge difference ) Although its 40BHP and not 33BHP, its power to weight is just within the law ! This makes it suitable for young learner riders like me and you !! :)

I got one of these Hornet 250 myself, Very reliable and fast and fun bike to drive
    ( 0-100 kph in about 5.5 seconds :D , 160-170 kmp top speed :D)

The bad news is the Hornets dont come cheep, I paid €2300 for a 98 reg ( from a dealer with warranty ) You could get a 96 reg one privatly for around €1500-€2000

I did my homework and this is the best 250cc bike a young rider like me or you can insure !

Although its 40BHP and not 33BHP, its power to weight is just within the law !

I wouldn't bet on that.

bladespin wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet on that.

I would bet on it... Cos the licencing law says that your allowed
    25kW or 0.16kW / kg

Because of the hornets weight it is equal to a 33bhp (25kW) bike cos its equal to 0.16kW / kg

Oh nd i have a provisional license and im 19, and i have been driving a hornet 250 for 8 months now. So i assure you it is learner legal

• Advertisement

Yeah these are a very nice looking bike ! best looking 125 4 banger by miles !!

Advertisement