Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F'in motorbikes under 25kw :(

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

I would bet on it... Cos the licencing law says that your allowed
    25kW or 0.16kW / kg

Because of the hornets weight it is equal to a 33bhp (25kW) bike cos its equal to 0.16kW / kg

Oh nd i have a provisional license and im 19, and i have been driving a hornet 250 for 8 months now. So i assure you it is learner legal

:rolleyes: Emm, what exactly does a 33bhp bike weigh, from what I've seen that can vary.

It's power to weight is 0.2649 actually, so it isn't learner legal by a good margin.

Source1 and source2

I really don't think you should be giving advice that you're not 100% sure of, you could get someone into serious trouble.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

bladespin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Emm, what exactly does a 33bhp bike weigh, from what I've seen that can vary.

It's power to weight is 0.2649 actually, so it isn't learner legal by a good margin.

Source1 and source2

I really don't think you should be giving advice that you're not 100% sure of, you could get someone into serious trouble.

I seen there on that site the bike is said to weigh at 151kg (Dry)...i own this bike and I would say its a fair bit heavier than that... i have seen variations of this weight specification all over the web, which one is correct ??.....Considering this bike was manufactured exclusivly for the Japanese market, no such origional spec sheets / workshop manuals are available in english..

Those websites are only educated guesses and no more accurate than wikipedia.....

I drive this bike daily and have even been pulled over and asked to produce insurance certificate, licence and other documents in the guarda station...NOBODY questioned whether my bike was learner legal or not.....Back on the road i went

So that alone is enough evidence for me that this bike is learner friendly....

Haha....you know what i mean LOL

I seen there on that site the bike is said to weigh at 151kg (Dry)...i own this bike and I would say its a fair bit heavier than that... i have seen variations of this weight specification all over the web, which one is correct ??.....Considering this bike was manufactured exclusivly for the Japanese market, no such origional spec sheets / workshop manuals are available in english..

Those websites are only educated guesses and no more accurate than wikipedia.....

FYI those stats are based on Honda's own published specifications.

The power to weight ratio is based on dry weight not running weight so it is a fair bit lighter that then bike actually weighs.

I agree it's an ideal learner bike, once restricted, without the washers it's illegal and you run the risk of prosecution etc (very unlikely on such a small over specification). Fine if you want to run the risk but I wouldn't advise others with false information, we've already seen what's happening in Cork.

FYI those stats are based on Honda's own published specifications.

The power to weight ratio is based on dry weight not running weight so it is a fair bit lighter that then bike actually weighs.

I agree it's an ideal learner bike, once restricted, without the washers it's illegal and you run the risk of prosecution etc (very unlikely on such a small over specification). Fine if you want to run the risk but I wouldn't advise others with false information, we've already seen what's happening in Cork.

To my knowledge the bike was learner legal when i bought it...Just from what i hear from bike shops and alot of online forums, the hornets are within the limit, i wouldnt of spent over 2k on one else...But now i have my doubts from what you are sayin ( You seem to know your stuff )

Why would they quote me on this bike when no restrictors where mentioned...
    It wouldnt be fair for them to not honour a claim after me paying my premiums

It just goes show how little the government educated the public on the new law, do they expect all riders to have a degree in mechanical engineering ???...the law is a bit of a joke at the moment, the garda and insurance companies dont even seem to know the full details of the law

If this law is in the interest of the publics safety, is it too much hastle for the government to compile a list of bikes that are allowed and not allowed ? If they can fork billion into anglo irish bike, they can make this list, ...

Next insurance companies will put every bike on a dyno to prove its legal....

• Advertisement

To my knowledge the bike was learner legal when i bought it...Just from what i hear from bike shops and alot of online forums, the hornets are within the limit, i wouldnt of spent over 2k on one else...But now i have my doubts from what you are sayin ( You seem to know your stuff )

Why would they quote me on this bike when no restrictors where mentioned...
    It wouldnt be fair for them to not honour a claim after me paying my premiums

I wouldn't pay too much heed to what a shop that's trying to sell a bike says, better to do the homework yourself, I'm a member on every Irish bike forum and they've all had threads about this and they all say the hornet needs a restrictor. Even the old reliable Bros400 isn't strictly learner legal. (suprised me too BTW).

Up to only recently a rider with a restricted license could get a quote on any bike (subject to certain criteria; age etc), it's always down to the rider/driver to ensure their vehicle is legal, not the insurance companies.
    I'm not aware on an insurance company refusing to honour a claim due to a restrictor but technically the contract of insurance would be void though you would still be covered 3rd party (the insurance company could look to recoup AFIK).

It just goes show how little the government educated the public on the new law, do they expect all riders to have a degree in mechanical engineering ???...the law is a bit of a joke at the moment, the garda and insurance companies dont even seem to know the full details of the law

If this law is in the interest of the publics safety, is it too much hastle for the government to compile a list of bikes that are allowed and not allowed ? If they can fork billion into anglo irish bike, they can make this list, ...

Next insurance companies will put every bike on a dyno to prove its legal....
    Welcome to Ireland :rolleyes:
    The law is an ass, it's a shambolic attempt to copy another country's system, but it's on the books and we have to live by it until they cop on.

The garda and insurance companies are aware of the law now and are starting to enforce it, they can only go by what the manufacturer publishes re power weight etc. If a vehicle needs a restriction to be legal then it's pretty much down to the driver to prove it's been restricted, a cert is the easiest way (though legally you don't have to have one).

It doesn't take a lot of work to look up specs etc so it should be within the realm of the average rider to be able to check they're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I'm on the phone to Quinn-Direct at the moment and they're refusing to give me an insurance on a Honda Bros 400. I'd contacted them about a month ago to ask if they'd cover me and I'm being thoroughly rebounded at the moment. The guy I'd asked for the quote told me that it would cost me an extra five euros a month. The previous owner had it insured as well but I can't recall who he said insured him. All around, I'd checked to see if I would be covered and everyone had said yes. I spent a fair chunk of cash on it and... WOOHOO! The girl I spoke to checked it with their bike/legal team thingy and now I'm insured... in seventeen minutes! Woo!

Advertisement