Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo: Reach Launch Event - we need a team!

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

This Tuesday (14th) there will be a launch event for Halo: Reach and we have an opportunity to send 4 Boardsies up against all comers with the winners taking on a celebrity team of Spartans including rugby star Jamie Heaslip, RTÉ presenter Baz Ashmawy, and 98FM DJ Steven Cooper and a mystery guest. I don't know about the others, but I've met Steven and he knows his games, so I think this might be more of a challenge than you'd think. :)

[EDIT]
    The Mystery Guest has been announced and confirmed as Stringer Bell from The Wire, aka actor Idris Elba!

The prize? A copy of Halo: Reach and a Special Edition Halo: Reach Console!

So what I need to do is pick 4 people to represent Boards at this event. I'm not sure how best to go about this as I don't think I have time to organise a mini-tournament. So let's judge interest here first and see how many people are available.

The event takes place in Dublin City Centre on the Tuesday evening at 8pm, so you'd need to be available then and all entrants need to be over 18.

Full details and the terms and conditions can be seen here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Dare I?
    I'm a pretty serious Halo fan (as evident from my posts here and elsewhere)... but I'll be getting the Legendary Edition at Midnight on Tuesday here in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Look at the pics... Baz can't even hold a controller! Something tells me any bunch of decent gamers will destroy them. Anyway... This is my proposal for our boards team (I'm not gonna be around, so I'd like to think I'm impartial :)).

So, my suggestion is that people who are interested link to their Bungie.net profile. You will quickly be able to tell who is passionate about the game. I'm all for things being available to everyone, but as I said before, if you really want the people who represent boards to get the most out of it, they will be hardcore Halo fans, or Halo players at very least.

Say you have about 10 great candidates who want to play and have all put in the hours online, maybe create a poll and get people to vote for who represents us. My main point is that this great opportunity should go to those who deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I completely agree with you, but unfortunately my Halo experience only extends to system linked lan party play and none of it very serious, so I wouldn't know who to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I'd love to do it... but I might have my Reach console with me, collecting it from town :pac:

Edit: Bungie profile thing here

No the greatest online player, but I've completed every Halo FPS (Dam Halo Wars! :P ) on legendary and have always liked playing. I'd love to go and I post every once and a while around here.. I think... I'm usually floating around the xbox and FPS sections anyway :D

So, my suggestion is that people who are interested link to their Bungie.net profile. You will quickly be able to tell who is passionate about the game. I'm all for things being available to everyone, but as I said before, if you really want the people who represent boards to get the most out of it, they will be hardcore Halo fans, or Halo players at very least.
    Had the same idea, but thought it best to let someone else suggest it.
    Mine's here (I think, I can't actually access Bnet from here).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'm going to be at this party anyway, Girlfriend works for gamestop and is taking me in so i'd be up for playing with you guys. Haven't played Halo in a while but I spend most my teenage life on Halo multiplayer so i'm well able to kick some ass...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Glimpse Dog will be covering the event so if any of you see us there, be sure to say hi!

I like the Bungie.net scoring idea, so in the absence of a better plan, I'd like to make our team based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

I can get a team of 4 together that will have a good chance of winning) 3 times WGL 4v4 winners and good places in european competitions too. All generals with 50's on halo 3 of course . I'm not sure of current gamertags I'll find out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

neilk32 wrote: »
    I can get a team of 4 together that will win without a doubt :) 3 times WGL 4v4 winners and good places in european competitions too. All generals with 50's on halo 3 of course . I'm not sure of current gamertags I'll find out today.

Do they post on boards?

• Advertisement

Do they post on boards?

They have but are too busy playing halo to post most of the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Do they post on boards?

BE hit the nail on the head. People should be very regular boardies. No point sending a bunch of exceptional players who have little/no affiliation with Boards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Dare I?
    I'm a pretty serious Halo fan (as evident from my posts here and elsewhere)... but I'll be getting the Legendary Edition at Midnight on Tuesday here in Galway.

These are the type of people who we should select imho.

Edit: Missed the edit in the OP. Durr.
    My interest just skyrocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I'd be interested in this, haven't played halo 3 in yonks as I've become variously addicted to mw2, mass effect 2, etc. But I was half decent at halo 3. Just give me a battle rifle!

http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/careerstats.aspx?player=yimrag

There's my bungie stats. Should all those interested party up and play a game some time this week and try get some matches together?

Yea, I really want this to be a team of Boardsies, not just a team who post here the odd time and have decided to come in on our ticket. I don't mean to be a dick about it, but I think it's important that the team be representative of the Boards.ie Halo community, not just 4 (St)ringers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I think the priority should be fans of the series that have to put up with and respond to the nonsensical arguments that other posters come up with against the series on here. With the support I got here and here (epic argument!), that would only be me. :pac:

I think that because there is no time for a tournament, people should just apply individually and make their case, and the four best applicants go as the Boards team. I think some Wire fans could be in the running too, then; I would love to meet Stringer Bell!

I'll definitely be free for it, anyway.

Halo 3 B.net account

• Registered Users Posts: 20 snoopeasystreet

I'd be really interested in it. But I'm more of a boards lurker than a poster.

Sure if you're stuck for another man or someone cancels give me a shout.
    I'm pretty good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Id love to have chance at playing in this , post on boards a bit , usually only post on the gaming sections as that all im interested in , i play a good bit of halo and really enjoy it .....

Here are my halo stats

http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/careerstats.aspx?player=sl%20obelisk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Guess I'll throw my name into the hat so to speak. Not a huge poster in the halo community (too busy trying to run the FIFA one!:D) but am a big fan of the game and play Halo 3 a good bit. Link to stats if they are being used as a reference.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'd be interested, just for fun. Picking up my console and game in Game that night, anyway.
    The stats ain't pretty. I've only been playing Halo MP for a few months, since I got ODST. A friend had "borrowed" my copy of Halo 3 for the past 2 years :rolleyes:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/careerstats.aspx?player=ianhealy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I'd be up for it if there is still a spot ... :) I have always been mad about halo.

Bought my first xbox because of halo and clocked up well over 3000 games in halo 3 . Me and my housemates used to play for days on end and im fairly sure my xbox died because i had it on for too long playing halo ;)

Heres my stats...

and as you can see I also post in the xbox forum quite a bit....

I'm gonna pick the team tomorrow afternoon, so if there's anyone else you can think of who wants in, let them know!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

man id love to do this, and id be free on tuesday. ive grown up playing these games with my mates and im probably the only one who stills plays it amongst us. ive clocked up a series amount of hours over the last few years going back to halo 3 and halo 2.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/default.aspx?player=Yautja%20Figher

Overature wrote: »
    man id love to do this, and id be free on tuesday. ive grown up playing these games with my mates and im probably the only one who stills plays it amongst us. ive clocked up a series amount of hours over the last few years going back to halo 3 and halo 2.
    Pop up your Bnet link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Probably not the greatest, and don't really post too much on the Halo forum, but I'm pretty alright at the game.

Those celebs won't know what's coming :D

http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/careerstats.aspx?player=TheChrisD

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Said this on the other thread thought i post it here as well. Whoever gets picked should try and get some roles and communication sorted within the team before the event as there vital parts to winning in all the halo games ..........

Any know what the rules will be ? Is it slayer pro or ctf??

Any know what the rules will be ? Is it slayer pro or ctf??
    Agreed about the training, but don't think it's nailed down to be so serious, meant to be a fun & coverage-inducing event.

I'd guess Slayer, but they may even do some cooky casual gametype like Rockets because of the nature of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Here are my stats

Obvious Boardsie regular, over 3,400 games of Halo 2 played and around 1,300 games of Halo 3 played (I obviously thought Halo 2 was better, and it was! :p)

I remember doing a Halo tournament at the Xbox Live gaming centre that used to be on Sth. William Street in Dublin right before the launch of Halo 3, I miss those days. :( Came 3rd and won me some goodies! :D So I'd love to have a stab at this, it'd be great craic. I'm 19 and I'd be available launch night too. I was just gonna go around the corner on the morning of the 14th and pick up a copy anyway!

Advertisement