Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner Occupier Query

Options
  • 07-09-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

I am wondering whether people ask to negotiate the rent in owner occupier properties. The reason I ask, is that I will shortly be looking for a lodger, as the current girl is moving to another part of the country shortly. When I was last looking a year and a half ago, not one person asked for a reduction in retn, which surprised me, considering I had read on here that people were seeking reductions when the went to see a place, so I am wondering if anyone knows whether this has changed or not - am wondering as trying to decide what rent to charge, should I put it at the lowest rate, or should I put it at say €30 over that - at the moment it is marked €20 below the others in the same complex.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The best thing to do is ask a reasonable rent and stick to it. Most smart alec haggling types avoid owner occupiers like the plague. Conceding on rent at the outset encourages further concession seeking. If your asking rent is too high, you will know pretty quickly. Fewer callers, more no shows, more "will think about it", "have a few more places to see" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Thanks a mill. I doubt I will get any queries till closer to the time anyway (not available till October, and not an area students are likely to be interested in, as not near the Colleges). Some of the other places in the complex, think the owners are living back in 2006, with the prices they are asking - wonder why they're still empty :p

Advertisement