Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people (usually under 40) with a Dublin 1 accent looked down upon automatically?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

This is something I've always wondered. I don't mean the typical skanger type of talking. I just mean how we (I'm from the inner city) say certain words and phrases. I mean in most areas here the Gardaí automatically assume you're up to no good, which is fine. There are usually a lot of problems here. But even if you're respectful to them if just one other person in the group is cheeky then all of the group is automatically given pretty bad treatment.
    That just applies to what I've seen.
    It's not a go at the guards at all, like I said I can understand why they're like that and I don't blame them.

Does this extend to other groups/people though? I mean what if you're working in a shop like Spar or Centra and you see three fellas about 20 walk in and hear "ah they better have the milk cause i'm afta goin' to tree differen' shops like"? Would you automatically be more suspicious than if 3 fellas enter and one says "I hope they have milk, this is about the 5th shop I tried".

Even if both people are dressed in tracksuit bottoms and white runners or if people are dressed in jeans and a shirt with nice shoes, it seems to be the accent and manner of speaking.

So, any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yes I would be more suspicious. Not that they were going to rob me but that I might have inadvertently stumbled into a casting for Fair City extras.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I don't think it's just the accent, it's the fact that they are invariably hurling petrol bombs, flick knives, tainted syringes or pittbull terriers at the nearest living entity whenever one happens across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

i try not to judge anyone on what they look/sound/dress/ etc like. I know a lot of people do though, and i think its horrible.

I hate how people assume that just because someone is from a "bad" area means they are a bad person. Ive spent time in most of the "bad" areas in Dublin and ive met some of the most lovely, warm, kind people that ive ever met in them.

f***ing boils my blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I don't think it's just the accent, the fact that they are invariably hurling petrol bombs, flick knives, tainted syringes or pittbull terriers at the nearest living entity whenever one happens across them.

Yes BUT! Who's the same they aren't fine, decent people?

triseke wrote: »
    i try not to judge anyone on what they look/sound/dress/ etc like. I know a lot of people do though, and i think its horrible.

I hate how people assume that just because someone is from a "bad" area means they are a bad person. Ive spent time in most of the "bad" areas in Dublin and ive met some of the most lovely, warm, kind people that ive ever met in them.

f***ing boils my blood.

This is what I mean. I've always tried being someone useful to society, I never really hung our with bad people or at least not when they were drinking on the canal or something. It's annoying that you have to try harder than average to be not looked down upon and it fails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What's a Dublin 1 accent? Like half a Dublin 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

stovelid wrote: »
    What's a Dublin 1 accent? Like half a Dublin 2?

Or only one quarter as horrible as a dublin four accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

You'd need to lose the ear rings, the 1 on the sides and back shaved haircut, speak normally and behave in a mannerly fashion before you can begin to change people's opinions of you.

It's quite like the balooba's of the Amazon rain forest, you see one running towards you shouting "ADOOBOOBOABU". Your judgement of the gent is that he isn't very friendly by the banana hamok and the spear.

You have something in common, dress code, the way you speak in a language foreign to that of the English speaking people, there's always the possibility of hostility though the color'd gent may not be as subtle.

Also he may not make as much noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I live in Dublin 1, under 40....but I don't have the accent, people still look down at me tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I would just think to myself "Is it really that difficult to speak English?!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

kfallon wrote: »
    I live in Dublin 1, under 40....but I don't have the accent, people still look down at me tho :(

Wearing heels will fix that problem...

Sykk wrote: »
    You'd need to lose the ear rings, the 1 on the sides and back shaved haircut, speak normally and behave in a mannerly fashion before you can begin to change people's opinions of you.

It's quite like the balooba's of the Amazon rain forest, you see one running towards you shouting "ADOOBOOBOABU". Your judgement of the gent is that he isn't very friendly by the banana hamok and the spear.

You have something in common, dress code, the way you speak in a language foreign to that of the English speaking people, there's always the possibility of hostility though the color'd gent may not be as subtle.

Also he may not make as much noise.

The only thing I do on that list is the way I speak. I don't see why the Hell I should have to change my accent, people from other countries dont have to, people from other counties don't have to, people from other AREA CODES don't have to.

That's the problem I think, people think "Dublin 1 accent = DEAR GOD THEY'LL KILL US".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Are you a dwarf?

That would then sort of explain why people look down on you.

How would say things like "the, there, this"? If it's with a "d" sound, that's why. It's not just the accent, it's the manner of how you pronounce certain words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

How would say things like "the, there, this"? If it's with a "d" sound, that's why. It's not just the accent, it's the manner of how you pronounce certain words.

Most of the country does that.

Let me say dis about dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Are you a dwarf?

That would then sort of explain why people look down on you.

No the people who look down on me are those in Dublin 1 with the accent, when they hear me speak differently to them I get called a 'freak' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

It's easier to just look down on absolutely everyone and let those people that become your friends rise to your level of awesomeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't see how this concerns the nation.
    AH -> Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

biko wrote: »
    I don't see how this concerns the nation.
    AH -> Dublin city.
    As a native of Kildare, I'm concerned that quite a lot of locals under the age of 20 seem to have this accent.

I'd like to know where the accent shop is. It needs to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Are people (usually under 40) with a Dublin 1 accent looked down upon automatically?

Well it does really depend on whether you are taller than them or you are able to pull them down to the ground after they've robbed you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thats cause your a four foot nothing jockey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Regardless of accent, if you're wearing (non-rugby) tracksuit bottoms as casual wear, I become wary. Also, it's what you're saying, not how you say it - you mentioned that people from other countries don't have to change their accent, but they don't say "f*ck" in every sentence, or refer to their "burd".

snappieT wrote: »
    Regardless of accent, if you're wearing (non-rugby) tracksuit bottoms as casual wear, I become wary. Also, it's what you're saying, not how you say it - you mentioned that people from other countries don't have to change their accent, but they don't say "f*ck" in every sentence, or refer to their "burd".

True but if I'm wearing trousers and even without using the slang, the moment someone hears me say something likr "ah I'll get a pint of d barman in a minute" it's like I just threatened to knife them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

True but if I'm wearing trousers and even without using the slang, the moment someone hears me say something likr "ah I'll get a pint of d barman in a minute" it's like I just threatened to knife them.

Paranoid much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

it's the manner of how you pronounce certain words.

The manner in which you pronounce certain words.

Ya bleedin' muppet.

stimpson wrote: »
    The manner in which you pronounce certain words.

Ya bleedin' muppet.

Sorry about that. :o

But why should people from the inner city only have to change that about themselves? No other county/country has to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

:D

If people can't see past my accent that's there problem. never let it get to me to be honest.

stimpson wrote: »
    :D

If people can't see past my accent that's there problem. never let it get to me to be honest.

But does it not bother you when people assume you're some kind of... inferior being? I don't mean working class to upper class. I'm talking about in reality.

It never really bothered me but lately I've wondered, even if I'm nice to cops/shop keepers/whomever and my friend is a bit rude or cheeky, I'M being classed as a scumbag too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

It never really bothered me but lately I've wondered, even if I'm nice to cops/shop keepers/whomever and my friend is a bit rude or cheeky, I'M being classed as a scumbag too.
    So tell your friend to cop on, or get a new one. Someone who tolerates that behaviour is as much of a problem as the person exhibiting it. "You are the company you keep", etc.

• Advertisement

snappieT wrote: »
    So tell your friend to cop on, or get a new one. Someone who tolerates that behaviour is as much of a problem as the person exhibiting it. "You are the company you keep", etc.

I see the point but it's a bit annoying to have a garda assume you're going to try to take a swing at him when your friend refuses to leave his garden to talk to them.

It honestly isn't about the gardaí, I just tend to find it happens mostly with them.

Advertisement