Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people (usually under 40) with a Dublin 1 accent looked down upon automatically?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I see the point but it's a bit annoying to have a garda assume you're going to try to take a swing at him when your friend refuses to leave his garden to talk to them.

It honestly isn't about the gardaí, I just tend to find it happens mostly with them.

I understand where you're coming from, and it is unfair, but that's life. Garda sees two guys, one is a bit belligerent, that's the only contact he has with both of you. Of course he assumes camaraderie, and that you'll stick up for your friend if a problem comes up.

I hate getting kicked out of clubs because I was trying to stabalise my drunk friend, but it's the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

snappieT wrote: »
    I understand where you're coming from, and it is unfair, but that's life. Garda sees two guys, one is a bit belligerent, that's the only contact he has with both of you. Of course he assumes camaraderie, and that you'll stick up for your friend if a problem comes up.

I hate getting kicked out of clubs because I was trying to stabalise my drunk friend, but it's the same thing.

I've had a problem or two with bouncers before over the same thing. But in the last two years or so I've just learned not to jump right in and go outside with said friend and then talk camly to the bouncers.

Bouncers are usually classed as simple minded brutes but they can be talked to too. I don't understand though how people just assume you're scum because of how you are. Though I myself automatically think scum when I see a bunch of 13/14 year-olds drinking on the street a night, so I suppose it's karma or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

snappieT wrote: »
    Regardless of accent, if you're wearing (non-rugby) tracksuit bottoms as casual wear, I become wary. Also, it's what you're saying, not how you say it - you mentioned that people from other countries don't have to change their accent, but they don't say "f*ck" in every sentence, or refer to their "burd".

Oh but you don't have to be from the north inner city to do any of these things. The way I see it you get scumbags from all walks of life and it always a mistake to judge someone by what they wear and how they speak. I know I have done this in the past and it made me look a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A lot of what you describe isn't exclusive to your particular post code. In any situation if there's a group and one is acting up and the others are doing nothing about it, people will assume the rest of the group is the same as the one acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

No. An Inner city accent isn't the problem. But combine it with standing outside the Ilac Centre in a tracksuit using Fcuk to replace every adjective and anyone is going to assume you are trouble. There are lads from the inner city in the trades. They go to upmarket areas in a set of overalls and a box of tools and no one thinks, I am not letting this lad in to my house cause he said me instead of my and therefore is going to rob the silver.

You don't have to change to be accepted by other people, but the more neutral you appear and sound the more "open" people will be open to you. If your demeanor is friendly when you speak you can talk to anyone.

It's worth bearing one thing in mind re accents. If you wanted to speak Spanish, for example, you would not be understood properly if you did so with a stong Dublin accent. The same logic applies when you are speaking to someone not from your area, county, country etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

This is something I've always wondered. I don't mean the typical skanger type of talking. I just mean how we (I'm from the inner city) say certain words and phrases. I mean in most areas here the Gardaí automatically assume you're up to no good, which is fine. There are usually a lot of problems here. But even if you're respectful to them if just one other person in the group is cheeky then all of the group is automatically given pretty bad treatment.
    That just applies to what I've seen.
    It's not a go at the guards at all, like I said I can understand why they're like that and I don't blame them.

Does this extend to other groups/people though? I mean what if you're working in a shop like Spar or Centra and you see three fellas about 20 walk in and hear "ah they better have the milk cause i'm afta goin' to tree differen' shops like"? Would you automatically be more suspicious than if 3 fellas enter and one says "I hope they have milk, this is about the 5th shop I tried".

Even if both people are dressed in tracksuit bottoms and white runners or if people are dressed in jeans and a shirt with nice shoes, it seems to be the accent and manner of speaking.

So, any opinions?
    I suppose it's the snobby cowardly opinions of a lot of people that do discriminate. To judge someone on their accent is idiotic, to say the least.

And it is the accent we're talking about here, not the added words people of any accent may put in, to make themselves sound cool, but in the process being stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its not exclusive to Dublin 1, the accent can be heard in every single postcode in the city and county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I saw me Ma and me Da de other day. Me Ma asked me ta get some benson & hedges. I went into de shop and it was fulla snobs, so I left foir gear street with me syringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

CorkMan wrote: »
    I saw me Ma and me Da de other day. Me Ma asked me ta get some benson & hedges. I went into de shop and it was fulla snobs, so I left foir gear street with me syringe.

That wasn't yer da. Yer da's the milkman. Yer oul wan told me last night when I was horsin' it into 'er.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yizzer both lying fux. Yer da is yer oul fella, an' yer ma is yer oul wan. Stop tryin' to be posh. Cork is a cure for de shits; Cork Man likes it up de jaxie.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

This is something I've always wondered. I don't mean the typical skanger type of talking. I just mean how we (I'm from the inner city) say certain words and phrases. I mean in most areas here the Gardaí automatically assume you're up to no good, which is fine. There are usually a lot of problems here. But even if you're respectful to them if just one other person in the group is cheeky then all of the group is automatically given pretty bad treatment.
    That just applies to what I've seen.
    It's not a go at the guards at all, like I said I can understand why they're like that and I don't blame them.

Does this extend to other groups/people though? I mean what if you're working in a shop like Spar or Centra and you see three fellas about 20 walk in and hear "ah they better have the milk cause i'm afta goin' to tree differen' shops like"? Would you automatically be more suspicious than if 3 fellas enter and one says "I hope they have milk, this is about the 5th shop I tried".

Even if both people are dressed in tracksuit bottoms and white runners or if people are dressed in jeans and a shirt with nice shoes, it seems to be the accent and manner of speaking.

So, any opinions?

the guards suspect young people in general.
    i am not from dublin, but living on the northside. i would have more time for the D1 accent than D4 one. the latter are so far up their own holes its no longer funny.

Yes I would be more suspicious. Not that they were going to rob me but that I might have inadvertently stumbled into a casting for Fair City extras.

fair city is full of south siders pretending to be nothsiders. it just does not work

triseke wrote: »
    i try not to judge anyone on what they look/sound/dress/ etc like. I know a lot of people do though, and i think its horrible.

I hate how people assume that just because someone is from a "bad" area means they are a bad person. Ive spent time in most of the "bad" areas in Dublin and ive met some of the most lovely, warm, kind people that ive ever met in them.

f***ing boils my blood.

D1 people are very warm, especially when you get to know them. i do however find teeangers there can be very angry.

Sykk wrote: »
    You'd need to lose the ear rings, the 1 on the sides and back shaved haircut, speak normally and behave in a mannerly fashion before you can begin to change people's opinions of you.

It's quite like the balooba's of the Amazon rain forest, you see one running towards you shouting "ADOOBOOBOABU". Your judgement of the gent is that he isn't very friendly by the banana hamok and the spear.

You have something in common, dress code, the way you speak in a language foreign to that of the English speaking people, there's always the possibility of hostility though the color'd gent may not be as subtle.

Also he may not make as much noise.

baloobas are african not south american.
    south siders are equally vocal, actually more so.
    southsiders also speak in a way foreign to most Irish people

Advertisement