Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for skilled migration visa - use agency or do it yourself?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am applying for a skilled migration visa with my partner and we are wondering if it is possible to apply by yourself successfully or is it better to go with a migration agency? Dont want to pay the big bucks to the agency but they seem very sure of a successful application and I dont have the funds to apply again if I am unsuccessful over a technicality. I wonder if anyone has had any experience of applying themselves or using an agency?? Good and/or bad experiences welcome?!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

I applied for it myself. Loads of paperwork etc to be completed. But from what I believe when you go through an agent you have to get all the paperwork anyway then they submit it.

My case was pretty straightforward. But if you are borderline or have some difficult circumstances I have heard people saying an agent might be able to get it across the line for you.

But it is definitly easy enough to do it yourself if you are persistent and can provide the authorities of as much proof as you can about your relationship etc. THe online system of uploading docs is pretty easy too

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Cormac's reply is accurate. I used an agency as I was borderline and I really believe they pushed me over the line. They were able to advise me on areas I would not have been aware of and they helped organise the paperwork and provided a contact point with DIAC.
    The paperwork can be done relatively easily if you are organised but the logistics element can feel overpowering and the agent provides a buffer between yourself and DIAC and can guide on the quality of paperwork.
    However, they are expensive and they are profit making organisations.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lorlorc

Thanks for the replies! Yes that's what I kinda thought alright. We are going over with my partner as the primary applicant (he is an architect but has been out of work) and I as the defacto spouse so I think we do qualify but that it might be better to essentially pay the difference for little more certainty... Do you either of you know of any agencies or know where I might find a reputable agency??

I used Australian Migration Visa Lawyers and found them excellent

Kathleen Lucey

Main Street, Clane
    County Kildare
    Ireland

Telephone:
    + 353 (0) 45 868 322

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Whats the average cost of the skilled visa through an agent? I was told it can take up to 2yrs offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

average would be $5000-$6000 or equivalent all in.

The processing time for GSM is roughly 6 months to 3 Years depending on applicants occupations.

I read on BE that there are applications from July 2008 still not processed, some people whose occupations were on the SOL when they applied in 2007/2008 and that have now been removed have been capped and ceased. That basically means they have been rejected but will be refunded the VAC.

The online GSM application is geared up for the applicant to do it themselves, agents are good if you have been naughty or have issues. Sometimes employers use agents for those of us who went the ENS PR route due to the nomination paperwork.

Using an agent is no guarantee of success or faster processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

mandrake04 wrote: »
    average would be $5000-$6000 or equivalent all in. .

True
    The processing time for GSM is roughly 6 months to 3 Years depending on applicants occupations. .

True

I read on BE that there are applications from July 2008 still not processed, some people whose occupations were on the SOL when they applied in 2007/2008 and that have now been removed have been capped and ceased. That basically means they have been rejected but will be refunded the VAC. .

False - only applications received prior to september 07 who applied without any formal quailifications were capped and killed. Yes I beleive these were entitled to a refund but they were giving the chance to apply for state sponsorship for long enough too

The online GSM application is geared up for the applicant to do it themselves, agents are good if you have been naughty or have issues. Sometimes employers use agents for those of us who went the ENS PR route due to the nomination paperwork.

Using an agent is no guarantee of success or faster processing.

True it can be done yourself and an agent cant speed the process up but it does help to have someone just to talk to about the file.. Immigration wont give you that.

I can not disagree more with the other poster. AMVL I WOULD NOT USE.
    There visa agent was sacked a few months ago and Kathreen I do not beleive is registered with MARA

Sharky 86,
    I can only speak from personal experience, albeit 18 months ago and with Liz O' Hagan. Wondering now if I have the company name right??? Thanks for the update if things have changed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Sharky 86,
    I can only speak from personal experience, albeit 18 months ago and with Liz O' Hagan. Wondering now if I have the company name right??? Thanks for the update if things have changed there.

True, I'm glad you had a good experence. Liz is not with that company anymore. I'm not sure of the circumstances but shes gone. The company itself is not looking the best from reports around the web but yeno hows things like that need to be taken with a pince of salt...

Are you in Oz now?

Advertisement