Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question - Are uk networks liberal with free PAYG sim cards?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

So basically I'm moving to London soon and am heading over next week to look for a place. I'd need a phone number fast to hit the ground running. Can I just go into an O2/Vodafone/whoever store and get a free PAYG sim card like you can do (or at least you used to be able to do) here?

Sorry if this is rehashing old ground, I did a quick search but didn't see anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes, walk into any network and get a sim straight away no hassle. the one thing you must do, is make sure your phone is networked unlocked. Your phone may be already unlocked, but you need to check this first.

you can check this, by putting in another network sim into your phone, example if you vodafone, try an o2 sim in the phone. If it is locked, then you can ask your network for the code. Depending on what network you are, and if your bill or PAYG the conditions will vary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Thanks for that.

I have a HTC Hero, which I think is completely unlocked. I'm on Meteor Bill Pay, and was able to put an American T-Mobile PAYG SIM in a few months back and it worked perfectly, so it should be fine.

If worse comes to worst, I can always pick up their cheapest phone along with the SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sorted so :), good luck with the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i remember when i went to manchester recently, the shop just outside in the terminal where you get out in arrivals had sim packs itself. i think it was a spar.

Advertisement