Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cut perspex

Options
  • 07-09-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Not exactly a woodworking question but I reckon some of you guys have done it. So what do you use to cut perspex? Saw a guy on the net use a circular saw but could not see what type of blade he was using. Metal cutting blade on the jigsaw? could I cut it on the bandsaw with a high tpi blade? Tried a Jap pullsaw but it just seemed to break off a few teeth and splinter the perspex.
    Thanks
    F.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Havent tried this myself, but I do recall when I was in secondary school if there was any sheets of perspex needed to be cut for the metal work lab they would be brought down to the woodwork room and put through the table saw with just a normal, fine wood blade. The stuff stank when cut!!!

We used to cut it in the design workshop also on the bandsaw, again, with a normal wood blade, but it was only small pieces. If it'd fit in your BS then it should do the job, just put the saw onto a slower speed if you can.

I've also cut it with a crosscut handsaw, a fine tooth (10tpi) and had no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Table saw eh? ok I'll try that and then the bandsaw. Thanks

Crosscut it with circular saw, needs to be well supported. Ripped it on the bandsaw.You were right about the smell, it stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Be carefull cutting this medium on Table saw or band saw.
    Depending on the type of plastic and thickness...you will need to on the table saw use a TCT blade and again for example a 10 in.blade with 60 teeth.
    The plastic becomes hot and can congeal along the cutting line so be careful of HOT bits flying at you. Also the possibility of the piece jamming in the blade because of the heat generated.

lionela wrote: »
    Be carefull cutting this medium on Table saw or band saw.
    Depending on the type of plastic and thickness...you will need to on the table saw use a TCT blade and again for example a 10 in.blade with 60 teeth.
    The plastic becomes hot and can congeal along the cutting line so be careful of HOT bits flying at you. Also the possibility of the piece jamming in the blade because of the heat generated.

Bang on lionela,good advice thanks. I'll keep that in mind for phase II.

• Advertisement
Advertisement