Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100km Bicycle Ambulance Cycle Challenge - 03/10/2010

• 07-09-2010 1:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just seen this down in the window of ThinkBike in Rathmines:
    BICYCLE AMBULANCE CHALLENGE

LEPRA IRELAND and ThinkBike
    100km AMBULANCE CHALLENGE.
    On 03rd of October 2010 Lepra Ireland together with ThinkBike are organising a 100km charity cycle
    The cycle is being held to raise money to buy bicycle ambulances that are used in remote areas of India and Africa.
    DISTANCE: 100Km Through the garden of Ireland
    COST: 30EUR for cycling Ireland members and 33EUR for non cycling Ireland members. The price includes a 10EUR ThinkBike gift voucher (one voucher per person/transaction)
    START TIME: 10AM
    REGISTRATION: Sign on between 8am and 9.30am or REGISTER ONLINE .

Nothing like charity to get me a Sunday away from the OH ;)

Anyone else thinking about going down to it, I'm going to cycle down that morning if anyone is interested in joining me (from Dublin South/Dundrum area)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Am interested in this one, last blast before I return to studies. Any info on the route?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Gasco wrote: »
    Am interested in this one, last blast before I return to studies. Any info on the route?

I dropped them an e-mail this morning so hopefully they'll get back to me today or tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just got an e-mail back, the route is here:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/-wicklow/918128156125866708

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Thanks for that - am not familiar with that hill just outside of Ashford, MMR gives it 8%, but apart from that and the Old Long Hill it looks a pleasurable spin. Should be up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Sounds good. I'm up for it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

would love to do this, but don't think i'd be ready yet for devil's glen hill or the long hill going up to calary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

would love to do this, but don't think i'd be ready yet for devil's glen hill or the long hill going up to calary.

Same here. We can walk up it together...

Looking at the may my ride route, it looks like there's two significant climbs and then it's downhill nearly all of the rest of the way (apart from the little bit at the end)...
    Scien wrote:
    If it's a small crowd are you expected to keep up for the entire 100km?
    If the group is small enough it might be more of a case of the group regrouping from time to time to allow weaker riders to catch up. OTOH, if the numbers are bigger it'll likely split into a number of groups going at different paces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Same here. We can walk up it together...

Looking at the may my ride route, it looks like there's two significant climbs and then it's downhill nearly all of the rest of the way (apart from the little bit at the end)...

If the group is small enough it might be more of a case of the group regrouping from time to time to allow weaker riders to catch up. OTOH, if the numbers are bigger it'll likely split into a number of groups going at different paces.
    ha i'll see, i've never done anything over 60k before which was a couple laps of phoenix park and to howth and back. that was july, i've done a total of less than 50k since that would need some serious work before it.

sure they'll accept signups on the day yeh?

• Advertisement

Old Long Hill looks worse on paper than in real life :)

Despite the name it's pretty short and there is a nice long stretch after to recover. If you've gone up Howth you'll have no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Hi all ..thanks so much for your input so far on this thread kindly started by Cramcycle....

Id just like to add by saying that this event will truly be a leisure cycle with as mentioned previously the Long Hill climb shortly after we start and nothing more to worry about until we turn off N 11 direction Enniskerry with about 2 km to go with a food stop at Parnell Park in Rathdrum.This route has been chosen with the leisure cyclist in mind and we will be there to support and encourage all entrants who maybe be attempting this as their first 100 k or for the more experienced cyclist who may be doing this as a wind down to the end of their sportive season.

We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on the day in Enniskerry and hopefully be able to raise some much needed funds for our associated charity www.lepraireland.org

If anyone has any queries or would like some more information regarding this event please post your query here or alternatively email us at info@thinkbike.ie or visit www.thinkbike.ie

Any further updates will be posted both here and on our website

Regards
    Thinkbike

ha i'll see, i've never done anything over 60k before which was a couple laps of phoenix park and to howth and back. that was july, i've done a total of less than 50k since that would need some serious work before it

sure they'll accept signups on the day yeh?

YEP..... Registration on the day from 8.00 -9.30 AM.. SEE YOU THERE :D

OK, I'm up for this.

@snollup: you going from Clontarf?

OK, I'm up for this.

@snollup: you going from Clontarf?

Hey cdaly, sure am. Let me know where suits to meet & will head over with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Reckon I'll give this a go too, and if there are people riding down from DNS I'll join em.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

daragh_ wrote: »
    Old Long Hill looks worse on paper than in real life :)

Despite the name it's pretty short and there is a nice long stretch after to recover. If you've gone up Howth you'll have no bother.

Agreed, and the map my ride link seems to show the new long hill, which is easier still. Bit of a ramp from the triangle to the rocky valley drive but very short, similarly up to tiglin. All very doable.

Reckon I'll give this a go too, and if there are people riding down from DNS I'll join em.

'Tis 22km from Alfie Byrne Road to Enniskerry. Meeting there at about 7.30 (or maybe 8) would give us plenty of time and end up as a 150km round trip...

Or did you want to drive?... ;)

East link or Sam Beckett across the river? Either way I'll see ya there. Not sure how bright it's going to be at 7:30 in the morning in two weeks tho.

150k is going to be a large increase on my longest spin (only breached the ton a couple of times) so you might have to carry/tow me home!!

'Tis 22km from Alfie Byrne Road to Enniskerry. Meeting there at about 7.30 (or maybe 8) would give us plenty of time and end up as a 150km round trip...

Or did you want to drive?... ;)

Don't think my wife would look too kindly on me taking her car for the day so will have to cycle!

At least the roads will be nice & quite at that hour on a sunday morning :)

• Advertisement

East link or Sam Beckett across the river? Either way I'll see ya there. Not sure how bright it's going to be at 7:30 in the morning in two weeks tho.

150k is going to be a large increase on my longest spin (only breached the ton a couple of times) so you might have to carry/tow me home!!

I'm in the same position myself. Longest I've done is about 120km. It'll be downhill all the way home at any rate...

Route Clontarf - Enniskerry

I'm in the same position myself. Longest I've done is about 120km. It'll be downhill all the way home at any rate...

Route Clontarf - Enniskerry

That will make 3 of us, think my longest is about 120 also.

Should make for a fun day :D

I have booked the following Monday off work as I feel I might need some recovery time!

@cdaly_ what's the weather looking like for Sunday or is it a little early yet to tell?

So we can hold each other up...

Too early to say about the weather. First indications will be available next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Hi, I like the sound of this, see you at Alfie Byrne Rd.

I see this turning into a sprint finish from the canal to the Liffey on the way back!!

Hi All

Just a quick reminder about our Charity Cycle in association with Lepra Ireland
    which is taking place next Sunday 3rd October leaving from The Summerhill Hotel Enniskerry at 10.00am.

Register / Sign on from 8 am until 9.30 on the day or on line at www.thinkbike.ie or www.lepraireland.org

Route : Enniskerry - Roundwood - Annamoe - Laragh - Rathdrum (Foodstop) -Rathnew - Newcastle - Killcoole - Delgany - Glen of the Downs - Enniskerry.

Entry 30 euro or 33 euro if your require a one day license... this is to include a 10 euro voucher for use in the Thinkbike shop and Certificate on completion

If you require any further info on this event please go to www.thinkbike.ie

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the day for what we hope will be an enjoyable spin through the Garden of Ireland

Yeurgh. Weather is looking fairly poor for Sunday at this point. Showers on Saturday and rain on Sunday. Still a bit early to be sure about timing though, I'll keep an eye...

It's only a bit of water. Did you get a long spin in this weekend in preparation??

No. Was saving myself. I'll be there in any case.

Spin this evening though...

• Advertisement

OK FOLKS WEATHER LOOKING BETTER ALREADY FOR SUNDAY AS WE APPROACH THE BIG DAY...

DONT FORGET REGISTRATION ON THE DAY FROM 8 AM ROLLING OUT AT 10AM.

FULL BACK UP SERVICE BEING SUPPLIED..... Neutral Service-Static Service (at Foodstop)-Broom Wagon-Emergency Vehicles.

Refreshments Start and Finish.

See you all on Sunday @ Summerhill Hotel Enniskerry Co Wicklow

Snollup, cdaly, souter and myself still cycling down from DNS?? I'll meet you at the Sam Beckett at 8ish??

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    OK FOLKS WEATHER LOOKING BETTER ALREADY FOR SUNDAY AS WE APPROACH THE BIG DAY...

DONT FORGET REGISTRATION ON THE DAY FROM 8 AM ROLLING OUT AT 10AM.

FULL BACK UP SERVICE BEING SUPPLIED..... Neutral Service-Static Service (at Foodstop)-Broom Wagon-Emergency Vehicles.

Refreshments Start and Finish.

See you all on Sunday @ Summerhill Hotel Enniskerry Co Wicklow

Looking forward to it. Any idea of numbers?

Snollup, cdaly, souter and myself still cycling down from DNS?? I'll meet you at the Sam Beckett at 8ish??

Thats still the plan. See you then.

Looking forward to it. Any idea of numbers?

Not yet no sorry , but as you know the weather has a big bearing on the day......as I said earlier it looks better than forcasted last week so fingers crossed...

Great to see guys organising groups to come out ... much appreciated

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Not yet no sorry , but as you know the weather has a big bearing on the day......

I'm weatherproof. Incredibly slow in hail, rain or shine.

• Advertisement

I'm weatherproof Incredibly slow in hail, rain or shine.

Ah thats the spirit.... and I see ur consistant aswell great stuff...:D

snollup wrote: »
    Thats still the plan. See you then.

Is that 7:30 at Alfie Byrne Rd as well?

Yep.

see you there

@cdaly_ hows the weather shaping up?

• Advertisement

Last I got was a lot of rain affecting the Irish Sea and the UK but touch and go how east Wicklow will fare. Fair risk of showers I'd say. Winds light to moderate and probably northerly...

souter wrote: »
    Is that 7:30 at Alfie Byrne Rd as well?

Ok, so it's going to be a little before 8 that I'll meet you all at the bridge. I'll pm the mobile number to one of u just in case. Who's likely to be most organised??

Somebody else more than likely...

PM sent

Dropped into Thinkbike this morning on way home from spin. Met Bikerbhoy who told me they were our at 4.30 this morning marking the roads. Weather look to be good for tomorrow. Must say am looking forward to it.

this post is really only to bump this thread btw!

a generally sunny morning. Sunny spells this afternoon; scattered showers will occur also. After a cool start temperatures will rise to between 14 and 16 degrees in light breezes.

That looks better. See y'all there...

Great day for it. Nice to meet you all and apologies for being so crap at group riding.

Great day for it. Nice to meet you all and apologies for being so crap at group riding.

And I apologies for the poor quality of my tyres and the resulting three punctures!! Otherwise I really enjoyed that!

Until that Drogba c*nt

Lovely day for it. 161km for me. Met the Wheels of Destiny pair for a moment (just long enough to say congrats...). Lost the boardsie hammerfest on the way home so snollup and I cruised home at a more stately pace...

Then stopped to give an impromptu tube changing lesson on the Clontarf Psychle path on the home stretch...

Suffering now but weather, organisation and riding companions top notch.
    145km, 26.2 avg which seems measly considerring what felt like a blistering pace and tows from boards.ie machine, when I wasn't either chasing it or quickly wilting in brief forays up front.
    Smaller crowd meant there was far less places to hide in the pack, plus I suspect this late in the season the committed cyclists were outnumbering dilettantes such as myself.

Hi all

On behalf of LepraIreland and all at Thinkbike we would like to take this oppertunity to thank each and everyone of you who joined us this morning in Enniskerry for our inaugural cycle challenge.
    We had a great turn out and the weather was certainly on our side which made for an enjoyable spin around Co Wicklow.
    It was great to see everyone chatting in the morning sunshine at the Rathdrum foodstop and equally exciting to see you all streaming along the roads to the finish.

We hope everyone enjoyed themselves and thanks again for your support.

Regards
    The Thinkbike Team

• Advertisement
Advertisement